• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Aragones 2013

tg_australia

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2011) Camino Aragones (2013)
Hello Everyone -
I walked the Camino Frances in 2011 and so thoroughly enjoyed it that I am planning to depart Australia again, this time to do the Camino Aragones in 2013. Aragones starts in Oloron Sainte Marie.
I have two questions.
Is there somewhere that I can obtain a credencial in Oloron Sainte Marie?
Is there a guide book (English) available to cover the route of Camino Aragones?
Thank you in anticipation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi tg_australia,
Welcome to the forum.
I used the Rother Walking Guide (English translated from German) Camino de Santiago Way of St. James from the Pyrenees to Santiago.
However, there are two issues with it.
1) Although it was a 2011 edition it was quite out of date in a number of things (Maybe it was translated in 2011) but the maps were OK.
2) It only starts at Somport (So you would need some guidelines for Oloron Sainte Marie to Somport).
On a positive note, it also includes material from SDC to Muxia.
Regarding the credential, I picked mine up from the Australian friends of the Camino http://afotc.org/
Buen Camino
Col

I loved loved LOVED the Aragones route!
I've done it twice and would love to do it again!!

FYI. There is a bus from Jaca to the Monastery and back. Highly worth the fare.
See my blog May 2012 for more info.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi tg
When do you start? I am walking from Somport,hopefully from 5th May and it would be good to know someone else was on the path.
Heather

tg_australia said:
Hello Everyone -
I walked the Camino Frances in 2011 and so thoroughly enjoyed it that I am planning to depart Australia again, this time to do the Camino Aragones in 2013. Aragones starts in Oloron Sainte Marie.
I have two questions.
Is there somewhere that I can obtain a credencial in Oloron Sainte Marie?
Is there a guide book (English) available to cover the route of Camino Aragones?
Thank you in anticipation.

I walked the Camino Aragones in September, starting off from Somport, but I wished I had started at Oloron Saint Marie. It is stunning, isolated and remote, but you need to be aware, however, that it is far more challenging than the CF and there are not many pilgrims on it. I walked the entire route on my own, and managed to get myself lost twice because parts of it are not very well marked. I would love to do it again, but would definitely not do it on my own again.

I found the Confraternity's guide to the Aragones (covered in their Toulouse to Puente la Reina guide) helpful-- if barebones, and takes up little room. You will like the Aragones, which is a marvellous route. But it is not heavily populated, and so you should take care to have enough water with you as there are fewer pueblos (and fewer cafes for your cortado!). As well, take a day to see the monastery at San Juan de la Pena, in the heights out of Jaca-- this is one of the most extraordinary sights in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
camino07 said:
Hi tg
When do you start? I am walking from Somport,hopefully from 5th May and it would be good to know someone else was on the path.
Heather

Hi Heather. I plan to catch the train from Bordeaux to Pau on 4th May, and either start the walk from Lescar or Oloron-Sainte-Marie. I am travelling alone, but it would be great to walk with someone for at least the first few days. I have the CSJ guide covering Tolouse to Puente la Reina. It's fairly basic, but it has detailed descriptions of each section of the walk and of accommodation available along the way. This is my first time on the Camino.
Mike

Hi Mike
Good to know you will also be on the trail in early May. I will be starting in Somport on the 5th so may be ahead of you. I am relieved that a previous camino buddy from US will walk the Aragones with me before returning to Roncesvalles to walk with her sister. Hope we do meet you along the way.
I am so looking forward to walking a new route. Exciting!!
Buen Camino

Hi Mike

When I walked the Aragonese in 2008 I flew to Pau from Paris. From Pau airport I walked the 10km [beside the road] from Pau to Lescar, where the tourist office provided me with my credential and arranged for the albergue accommodation [the hospitaleros do not live on site and the tourist office rang them at home] and gave me directions on how to find it and also the key to get in.

The walk from Lescar the next day was as hard a walk as I have done on any camino,, with lots of ups and downs and plenty of mud. In 2008 there was no water or coffee/meals available on the 32km stage [that may have changed by now] and that did not help either!

Buen camino!

Alan

Be brave.Life is joyous.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The walk from Lescar the next day was as hard a walk as I have done on any camino,, with lots of ups and downs and plenty of mud. In 2008 there was no water or coffee/meals available on the 32km stage
There are two stopping points between Lescar and Oloron; La Commande and Estaialescq. Contact the mairie in advance for La Commande, and bring some food. The availability of food at the butcher is a bit casual.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back