• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Catalán Experience

stevelm1

Past and Future Perigrino
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015, CP 2019, Camino Catalan 2023
Hi Pilgrims, I have walked the CF and the CP. Now I am thinking of walking the Camino Catalán in September and I am wondering if anyone here has done that and wouldn't mind sharing some thoughts on the topic?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back in 2015 I walked from Barcelona to Monserrat (through Sant Cugat) where I met up with @peregrina2000 and we continued on the Camí Sant Jaume through San Juan de la Peña (other route goes through Zaragoza).

We only met a couple of pilgrims back then. You can use the search function to read about it but I'm sure that someone else has more recent information/experience.

After finishing we hitchhiked up to Somport and walked the Aragonés.

Similar to @LTfit minus @peregrina2000 and the Somport to Santa Cilia portion of the Aragonese. This was solo in late October and early November 2019. From Montserrat for a few days I saw pilgrims walking the Ignacio which is colocated for a bit but goes in the opposite direction. One in the Monserrat albergue, three in the albergue the next day and two in passing on the trail (we exchanged tips). Shared an albergue two days from Huesca with a fast walking Santiago bound pilgrim and one day out from Huesca a hill walker who often used the albergue as a base camp for day hikes. Log books showed several days between me and the walker ahead of me. On the Aragonese there was me, a woman and the guy I met pre-Huesca sharing albergues for three or four nights (he had spent several days with friends in Huesca). I didn't think I would mind things being so lonely but it did bother me some.

I'm likely to add more posts later.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Similar to @LTfit minus @peregrina2000 and the Somport to Santa Cilia portion of the Aragonese. This was solo in late October and early November 2019. From Montserrat for a few days I saw pilgrims walking the Ignacio which is colocated for a bit but goes in the opposite direction. One in the Monserrat albergue, three in the albergue the next day and two in passing on the trail (we exchanged tips). Shared an albergue two days from Huesca with a fast walking Santiago bound pilgrim and one day out from Huesca a hill walker who often used the albergue as a base camp for day hikes. Log books showed several days between me and the walker ahead of me. On the Aragonese there was me, a woman and the guy I met pre-Huesca sharing albergues for three or four nights (he had spent several days with friends in Huesca). I didn't think I would mind things being so lonely but it did bother me some.

I'm likely to add more posts later.
Thanks for the responce. I am figuring this is going to be a 'lonely' walk for the most part. I am hoping that I can find an alburegue/hotel about every 16k/10m. Does this sound feasible?

Back in 2015 I walked from Barcelona to Monserrat (through Sant Cugat) where I met up with @peregrina2000 and we continued on the Camí Sant Jaume through San Juan de la Peña (other route goes through Zaragoza).

We only met a couple of pilgrims back then. You can use the search function to read about it but I'm sure that someone else has more recent information/experience.

After finishing we hitchhiked up to Somport and walked the Aragonés.
Thanks for the responce. I am planning on walking from Barcelona to Saint Jean and then from there to Pampalona to complete the section of the CF that I missed the first time.

I am hoping that I can find an alburegue/hotel about every 16k/10m. Does this sound feasible?
It won't be cheap. I looked through Gronze. The stages are generally 20 to 30 km with the cheap places at the stage towns. There are plenty of lodgings listed though. A caution: one stage ends at La Peña Estación but there is no lodging there. I broke up the 2 stages to 3, Bolea - Sarsamacuello - Ena - Santa Cilia. After Ena is Botaya with a youth hostel open for summer and weekends. That would make a tough last day easier.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the responce. I am figuring this is going to be a 'lonely' walk for the most part. I am hoping that I can find an alburegue/hotel about every 16k/10m. Does this sound feasible?
I have walked the Catalan Camino a couple of times, starting in Barcelona. For the most up to date information regarding albergues and services along the route I would recommend looking at the PDF found on this site: http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/camino-catalan-por-san-juan-de-la-pena/. You will be unlikely to find an albergue/hotel every 16km.

I have walked the Catalan Camino a couple of times, starting in Barcelona. For the most up to date information regarding albergues and services along the route I would recommend looking at the PDF found on this site: http://amicsdelspelegrins.org/camino-catalan-por-san-juan-de-la-pena/. You will be unlikely to find an albergue/hotel every 16km.
Hi Lindam, I am curious regarding Barcelona to Monserrat, is this 3 day walk scenic or predominantly relatively unattractive urbanized? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lindam, I am curious regarding Barcelona to Monserrat, is this 3 day walk scenic or predominantly relatively unattractive urbanized? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Hello, It is a pleasant urban walk to leave the city of Barcelona, with many beautiful architectural gems along the way. Exiting the city, one finds the Laberint d'Horta where the camino joins a nature trail that leads to the small community of Sant Cugat with its monastery. The walk from Sant Cugat to Ullastrell involves more road walking but is certainly rural rather than urban. The eventual climb to Montserrat is challenging but unforgettable, predominantly following a rather rugged trail.

Hi Pilgrims, I have walked the CF and the CP. Now I am thinking of walking the Camino Catalán in September and I am wondering if anyone here has done that and wouldn't mind sharing some thoughts on the topic?
Hi, I walked CF a few times also and going to walk Catalan in July. I’m wondering if it’s well marked and if there’s lodging available?

Hi, I walked CF a few times also and going to walk Catalan in July. I’m wondering if it’s well marked and if there’s lodging available?
Hello Anaderol,
The Catalan Camino is generally well marked although you will find fewer markings when compared to your experience on the CF. If you look at my reply above to @stevelm1, I posted the link for a PDF listing accommodations and services along the way. Do be advised that it will likely be very hot during the month of July (too hot for me!) and there are long stretches with no tree cover or shade.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...
Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back