• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking a short section of the Camino Catalán

RhysB

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023 (Primitivo), October 2023 (St. Jaume)
@peregrina2000 with your experience, if you had to choose between walking these three outes, which would you take?

Girona > Vic

Vic>Monserrat

Monserrat > Lleida (or any other place that has a train station!)

Very interested to know, thanks :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@peregrina2000 with your experience, if you had to choose between walking these three outes, which would you take?

Girona > Vic

Vic>Monserrat

Hmm, I love these questions! I will have to look back at my notes and my pictures when I have a bit more time. But my definite first and immediate reaction is that Girona to Vic is my choice. And if I were to do it again, I would extend the route all the way up to Olot, rather than cut over in Sant Esteve (?) and heading to L’Esquirol from there.

Have you seen our planning thread (done during covid confinement), @RhysB?

Hmm, I love these questions! I will have to look back at my notes and my pictures when I have a bit more time. But my definite first and immediate reaction is that Girona to Vic is my choice. And if I were to do it again, I would extend the route all the way up to Olot, rather than cut over in Sant Esteve (?) and heading to L’Esquirol from there.

Have you seen our planning thread (done during covid confinement), @RhysB?
I have seen the thread but I must admit I had not idea how one was meant to utilise it, it seems so... random? I gleaned some great info but maybe just did not understand the structure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Girona > Vic

Vic>Monserrat

Personally it would be Monserrat > Lleida ; including because there are more Albergues and more Pilgrims and generally more infrastructure and services.

Hi pilgrims,

When I did this section of Camino Catalan, I did it this way.
Amer – Sant Esteve d’en Bas 23,1 Km.
The albergue of Sant Esteve was closed. For me, walking more than 25 km isn’t a good thing.
So I took a bus to Olot to get a good albergue. There were 3 buses in the afternoon.
After the check-in I went to the tourism office I was talked about a walk around the town to visit some modernist buildings, a old little volcano and more. So I walked 3km more after a rest.
Next day, early in the morning I took the bus to Sant Esteve. I walked to l’Esquirol 21,4km and +909m up. I think is the harder stage of de section.

Bon Camí.

https://www.turismeolot.com/en/

I have seen the thread but I must admit I had not idea how one was meant to utilise it, it seems so... random? I gleaned some great info but maybe just did not understand the structure.
We did a bunch of these threads during covid confinement. The “leader” would put out a stage (which many others then would modify, comment on, add to, etc) and we went inch by inch along. You’re right that it’s random. In terms of structure, there is no way to keep the discussion completely linear when people are in different time zones, remembering different things at different times, etc. So it was a lot of fun for us, and gave people a lot of good ideas, but maybe not so helpful for those who come after us. Anyway… on to your question about the choices.

Girona > Vic

Vic>Monserrat

JP is right that Monserrat to Lleida will have more pilgrim infrastructure. In fact, the other two options have none or very little. I did the Huesca variant, so I only did a stage or two from Monserrat that overlaps with the Lleida variant. Those first few days had a fair amount of road walking, and after Monserrat, the natural environment wasn’t as spectacular.

Vic - Monserrat has those days in and out of Manresa that are not so great. It all comes with the camino, of course, but if you’re only walking 4 or 5 days, it would not be my choice for a sampler.

Girona-Vic is in my opinon the most beautiful by a long shot. And if you take the detour to St. Pere de Casseres, you get the extra treat of the romanesque monastery of St. Pere de Casseres and the neolithic sites that were really fascinating. But I would agree with those that say it doesn’t really have much of a Camino feeling. What it’s got is the scenery, the architecture and it’s bookended by two very nice places.

I don’t think you’re likely to meet any other peregrinos on this route, but I loved it all!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last summer we had pilgrims from the Camino Catalon who met only 2 or three others the whole way until it joined the Aragones.

Last summer we had pilgrims from the Camino Catalon who met only 2 or three others the whole way until it joined the Aragones.
Granted this was late October and early November (2019) but my encounters were mainly with six walkers headed the other way on the Camino Ignacio. Montserrat: 1; Castellolí: 3 Italians, only one spoke English or Spanish; Cervera: 2 in passing, we gave directions because we all knew the way behind us; Berbegal: 1 multilingual Basque, the only one headed to SdC (he was fast so one night only until we met again on the Aragonese); Bolea: 1, an English speaking Huesca local who often used the albergue as a base for nearby weekend hikes. That's it for about 16 days. I noticed in log books that entries were days apart.

Most of the Aragonese had three of us spending the night together but we walked separately.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Granted this was late October and early November (2019) but my encounters were mainly with six walkers headed the other way on the Camino Ignacio. Montserrat: 1; Castellolí: 3 Italians, only one spoke English or Spanish; Cervera: 2 in passing, we gave directions because we all knew the way behind us; Berbegal: 1 multilingual Basque, the only one headed to SdC (he was fast so one night only until we met again on the Aragonese); Bolea: 1, an English speaking Huesca local who often used the albergue as a base for nearby weekend hikes. That's it for about 16 days. I noticed in log books that entries were days apart.

Most of the Aragonese had three of us spending the night together but we walked separately.
Our Camino Catalan pilgrims were all fast walkers doing 40 km plus each day. One though had met another pilgrim who he had walked with much of the way. The other pilgrim had some kind of injury and fell behind and was considering abandoning the journey. The night the Jose-Luis was staying with us he heard from his friend and was trying to decide between walking back to Santa Cilia so he and his pilgrim friend could continue the journey together or just continuing his own Camino alone. He had an earnest conversation with me about it and you could tell he was conflicted. He had no particular timeline for his walk as he was a construction worker who could return home and get a job at any time. I told him that whatever decision he made, I believed it would be the right one for him. He did return to Santa Cilia and walked on with his friend. The plan was to make it to Santiago and I hope they did.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wonderful to spend the evening there- special vespers all to ourselves despite the hordes during the day. Memorable pilgrim meal in the main hotel

Totally agree, and if you can pull it off, try to spend the night there in the pilgrim accommodations. I was overwhelmed with huge crowds when I arrived there on a weekend afternoon, but by late afternoon, it was almost eerily silent and just spectacular.
The same for the mornings.

Possibly my best photo ever.

My advice: don’t miss Montserrat
eh, I went straight from Manresa to Igualada on tarmac, and regret it not in the slightest.

I certainly miss not having gone there, but my poor knees definitely appreciated the mostly downhill instead of the crazy upwards.

Of course, those who start at Montserrat and use transport to get there have not that problem ; so of course I envy them !!

Having said that, there are a good ten or so routes up there, and I'd say choose whichever makes sense ... whether it's to, via, or from there.

From Barcelona, the route up via Sant Cugat del Vallès from the Sagrada Familia (towards Montserrat) seems good ; I even walked similar to it many years ago pre-Camino ; but there is a multiplicity of pilgrimage routes up there, centred locally around Manresa and Montserrat. So that the Way up there is not a route ; but a network ; complicated I should add by the presence of the Augusta/Aurelia route between Cádiz and Rome, and the three pilgrimage Ways -- the Camino, the Via Romea, and the Ignaciano.

Plus Montserrat itself being one of the Major European Pilgrimage destinations.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We did a bunch of these threads during covid confinement. The “leader” would put out a stage (which many others then would modify, comment on, add to, etc) and we went inch by inch along. You’re right that it’s random. In terms of structure, there is no way to keep the discussion completely linear when people are in different time zones, remembering different things at different times, etc. So it was a lot of fun for us, and gave people a lot of good ideas, but maybe not so helpful for those who come after us. Anyway… on to your question about the choices.

JP is right that Monserrat to Lleida will have more pilgrim infrastructure. In fact, the other two options have none or very little. I did the Huesca variant, so I only did a stage or two from Monserrat that overlaps with the Lleida variant. Those first few days had a fair amount of road walking, and after Monserrat, the natural environment wasn’t as spectacular.

Vic - Monserrat has those days in and out of Manresa that are not so great. It all comes with the camino, of course, but if you’re only walking 4 or 5 days, it would not be my choice for a sampler.

Girona-Vic is in my opinon the most beautiful by a long shot. And if you take the detour to St. Pere de Casseres, you get the extra treat of the romanesque monastery of St. Pere de Casseres and the neolithic sites that were really fascinating. But I would agree with those that say it doesn’t really have much of a Camino feeling. What it’s got is the scenery, the architecture and it’s bookended by two very nice places.

I don’t think you’re likely to meet any other peregrinos on this route, but I loved it all!

We don't actually mind not meeting anyone, really we are in it for the walk more than anything, so the more beautiful the better. I will redo the start of the Primitivo woth my partner to show her that side of things next year.

Thanks for your input!

My advice: don’t miss Montserrat

I am fortunate enough to have lived in Barcelona for a decade so it is not essential for me considering I live 40 mins away. It certainly should not be missed by those visiting!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know this place well, I hike to San Cugat from here often :) I had no idea it was the camino route.
I think there are three routes from Barcelona to Monserrat and two go to Sant Cugat. Somewhere on the forum I read that there are now arrows through the city to direct you to one of them.

I think there are three routes from Barcelona to Monserrat and two go to Sant Cugat.
There are about half a dozen from Barcelona itself, plus three or four from its suburbs, plus a few more passing through Barcelona and/or its suburbs. Plus multiple variants. Things only really get simple from Igualada onwards.

You could even skip Montserrat entirely by going upriver along the Riu Anoia valley to Igualada.

Girona > Vic

Vic>Monserrat

Hello, my son and I rode our horses across the Pyrenees and south to Figueres, then west to Lleida. This was in 2012 when the Cami de St Jaume wasn't particularly well known, but the signage was brilliant. We stayed in hostels occasionally (a bit complicated if you have horses with you!) and sometimes we camped. For us, the most spectacular and beautiful part of the route was between Vic and Montserrat - the views were perhaps even better than most as they were from the additional height of a horse! Everyone we met was incredibly welcoming.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

The description of the path following the old train tracks from Girona to Olot really had me wanting to walk it.

Hi all! In the end I am walking Girona to Vic (from this Thursday!), does anyone know if I can get a credential in Girona? I thought it could be a good souvenir for my partner as it is her first time walking any part of camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi RhysB,

May be if you ask at the Cathedral, you can get it.

Bon Camí.

Hi all! In the end I am walking Girona to Vic (from this Thursday!), does anyone know if I can get a credential in Girona? I thought it could be a good souvenir for my partner as it is her first time walking any part of camino.
The Association has them, but they are only open on Tuesday and Friday from 7-9 pm.

But here’s a good bit of news from their website:

In unusual circumstances, you can get a credential in this pharmacy during business hours.

Excepcionalmente expide las credenciales, la Farmàcia Simón del C/ Creu, 42, de Girona

I think you will love this section. If you have the time, taking a detour before Vic to visit the monastery of San Pere de Casseres is a very nice amble — it takes you past some pretty amazing neolithic sites, including a sacrificial stone. I have some pictures and details on this thread, post 21 or thereabouts.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just got back, do you think there is any benefit to me sharing my experience? If so, where? This place is so big!

@peregrina2000

I just got back, do you think there is any benefit to me sharing my experience? If so, where? This place is so big!

@peregrina2000
The answer to that question is, always, YES! (Records of actual trips are the antidote to questions about bedbugs and snoring!!) :D

My guess is you should simply start a new thread in this subforum. If it needs moving @peregrina2000 will sort it out. I am hoping to do Camino Ignaciano at the end of the month and will cross a little bit of path I think - depending on what you finally did.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 - To Montserrat we go ...... 4 yrs since the last Camino, older, less brain cells, easily confused usually followed by a touch of frustration and sometimes panic :) . I left Coventry, UK at...
Hiya, currently on the Camino and I’m in need of some advice on how to split up the days from Huesca until I reach the Camino Aragonés by Santa Cilia. I have a rough plan but the next few days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back