Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Camino de Costa Rica

trecile

Camino Addict
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I just learned about this new route in Costa Rica. It's a 280 km village to village trail from the Atlantic to the Pacific. They have it divided into 16 stages, but some are short and could probably be combined. Since most tourism in Costa Rica is on the coasts and it seems that one of the goals of this trail is to bring more commerce into the small interior villages.

Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

woody66

This is my boy Yankee!
Hi Trecile!
I thought wow my daughter and son have Costa Rica firmly in their sights as a final destination on their travels;when allowed!
My daughter hopes to teach English there.
So i listened to the info here (https://ticotimes.net/2019/06/19/letters-from-the-trail-hiking-the-camino-de-costa-rica-part-1) ; thinking i would have a go if they move there.
But i think it sounds intense but it does have an infrastructure in place to accommodate each stage!
Would i even be able to consider it; massive question mark here?
I haven't put one foot on the Portuguese yet and i think that's a challenge;let alone the Jungle!
But it screams adventure! (but i suppose i do have to be rational)
But one day who knows;i'm still stupid enough to think about it !
This is some info:
El Camino is two weeks and 280 kms long.
During the hike, you climb and descend 17,000 ft.
For every one degree of climb from the horizontal, walking becomes 5% more difficult.
It is the only Camino that crosses a continent.
More people have summited Mount Everest than have hiked the entire Camino de Costa Rica.
El Camino crosses through seven of Costa Rica’s 11 microclimates.
Woody

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
It's always nice to hear of new walking adventures, but I personally would avoid this one. Costa Rica has a hot, tropical climate being located near the equator, not to mention a lot of rain; add to that lots of insects and mosquitos.
It could, however, be nice for a week or two as a beach vacation.

travelgirl409

September (2016)
It's always nice to hear of new walking adventures, but I personally would avoid this one. Costa Rica has a hot, tropical climate being located near the equator, not to mention a lot of rain; add to that lots of insects and mosquitos.
Add in snakes!!

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

makingtrax

El norte2010
Portuguese 2014
Primativo 2016
Frances sept 2017!
I just learned about this new route in Costa Rica. It's a 280 km village to village trail from the Atlantic to the Pacific. They have it divided into 16 stages, but some are short and could probably be combined. Since most tourism in Costa Rica is on the coasts and it seems that one of the goals of this trail is to bring more commerce into the small interior villages.

Sounds amazing. Similar to walking NZ except we have no snakes etc

valcamino.67

August 2016

Would love to hear more about this.

Yep. It's definitely hot.

Conchita Espino

Hi I am 70 years old and just did el Camino de Costa Rica. It was wonderful! It was December- January. Sunny and breezy but it does get humid during about 4 sections in the months of May through November. You do climb cumulative about 9,000 meters but it’s nicely designed to be doable. I was filled with joy doing it!
Must do it with a guide fir now. Eventually with more hikers on it, can be done in small groups without guide. Lots of nice lodges!

Conchita Espino

I just completed the Camino de Costa Rica at age 70! It was great! Highly recommend it. December through April not so hot and humid. And in the other months only 4 of the 16 are hot and humid. It’s nicely designed so the climbs are doable. I am no athlete and I managed it. It was really a wonderful experience. The people are so caring and the lodges were empty because of COVID. The views and flora and fauna fabulous.

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
CaminoSupply.com
Apparel and accessories for your Camino

Conchita Espino

Yes it’s a route through communities that don’t get tourists and any hiker brings some income to a rural family. Lovely people the “Ticos”

Conchita Espino

Hi Trecile!
I thought wow my daughter and son have Costa Rica firmly in their sights as a final destination on their travels;when allowed!
My daughter hopes to teach English there.
So i listened to the info here (https://ticotimes.net/2019/06/19/letters-from-the-trail-hiking-the-camino-de-costa-rica-part-1) ; thinking i would have a go if they move there.
But i think it sounds intense but it does have an infrastructure in place to accommodate each stage!
Would i even be able to consider it; massive question mark here?
I haven't put one foot on the Portuguese yet and i think that's a challenge;let alone the Jungle!
But it screams adventure! (but i suppose i do have to be rational)
But one day who knows;i'm still stupid enough to think about it !
This is some info:
El Camino is two weeks and 280 kms long.
During the hike, you climb and descend 17,000 ft.
For every one degree of climb from the horizontal, walking becomes 5% more difficult.
It is the only Camino that crosses a continent.
More people have summited Mount Everest than have hiked the entire Camino de Costa Rica.
El Camino crosses through seven of Costa Rica’s 11 microclimates.
Woody
I just completed it but took 19 days to do it so I could enjoy the local culture. I am 70 years old and not an athlete, so if I can do it anyone can do it. I walked 4 hours a day just like when I did Compostela in 2011.

Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
Thank you for the information about this great new Central American trail!

Guided tours are usually too pricey for my solo backpacker budget - so I will wait until there are GPS tracks available and it is permitted to walk independently.

I've had fantastic past experiences backpacked and tenting in the Costa Rican jungles. So wild and exciting! I met a tapir chillaxing beside my tent one night. 😍 However, for this route, I'd definitely support homestay options rather than lugging my camping gear.

shefollowsshells

Several alone and with children
Hi I am 70 years old and just did el Camino de Costa Rica. It was wonderful! It was December- January. Sunny and breezy but it does get humid during about 4 sections in the months of May through November. You do climb cumulative about 9,000 meters but it’s nicely designed to be doable. I was filled with joy doing it!
Must do it with a guide fir now. Eventually with more hikers on it, can be done in small groups without guide. Lots of nice lodges!
Conchita Espino can you share more information?
Images maybe, who your guides were etc...
This interest me, guides are not necessarily my thing but there might be some more stand offish than others, allowing you your space.
Would love to know more!
Thanks,
Neve

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Del Estrecho, Ruta Fray Leopoldo,
Vía Serrana, Camino Francés
It's a 280 km village to village trail from the Atlantic to the Pacific. They have it divided into 16 stages, but some are short and could probably be combined.
Wow - this is great to know about. Thanks @trecile for the information and @Conchita Espino for giving us the details of your experience. I see from the trail website that the tracks are on Wikiloc. They include some photos to give an idea of the terrain.
Entire route:

Two specific stages:

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances