• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte from Bilbao

Jan Nieuwland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portugues (2013)
Cami de St. Jaume (2014)
Camino aragones (2015)
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino del Norte (2017)
Hi,
I intend to walk the camino del norte from Bilbao in January.
Recently I lost my job after working for 22 y at the same company, but the company will close in December and I will need the cold and fresh wind of a winter camino to clear my mind and prepare for new opportunities.
I will have tight budget and hope to stay in municipal albergues as much as possible, but I expect; not all albergues will be open at that time of the year.
Especially in areas where albergues are scarce, I fear to trust the guides on whether or not they will be seasonal closed.
Please share your experience and tactics...
Buen camino to all; who are on their way or planning to..
Jan

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,
I intend to walk the camino del norte from Bilbao in January.
Recently I lost my job after working for 22 y at the same company, but the company will close in December and I will need the cold and fresh wind of a winter camino to clear my mind and prepare for new opportunities.
I will have tight budget and hope to stay in municipal albergues as much as possible, but I expect; not all albergues will be open at that time of the year.
Especially in areas where albergues are scarce, I fear to trust the guides on whether or not they will be seasonal closed.
Please share your experience and tactics...
Buen camino to all; who are on their way or planning to..
Jan

Jan,

Your determination and sincerity are most admirable! Do check out this recent Forum thread re the Norte in winter for posts/links relevant to your plans.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-december-2016.44159/

Do scan this recent Forum thread for posts/ links by many of us who have walked othr caminos at this time to help you further prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Happy research, Bon camino and as always Ultreia! May the New Year be a new beginning for you.

Last edited:
I always recommend the Eroski website, even if it is in Spanish. After all, most of the info is in key words. In this case you want to look for "disponibilidad del albergue", on the detailed information page on each albergue. Look here, at the second bullet point: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/hospital-de-peregrinos-de-irun#bloque-informacion

To bet there I google "eroski camino del norte" and get here:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

From there, click on the suggested etapa and a page with albergues will open. It shows a few, but to see all albergues available for the etapa, click on the bar "ver todos los albergue".

Pick an albergue and info will appear, including address, phone number, email/web. Click on the orange bar to see details and price, amenities and dates it's open appear.

Email those who say they are open all year and see if that applies this year. With some luck at least one of them per reasonable distance will be open, but it may not be a muni. Many are only open spring through fall, other are open longer but close December-January. I would go down the list one by one.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for your advices.

After some research I think the eroski websit has a lot of information, but I will go by the gronze website.
I think their information is more actual, and gives me more flexability.
I think it is wise to give a call to albergues, one day before arrival, to see if they are really open for guests in January.

Just booked my flight on January 2 to Bilbao, hope to be on my way soon.

One more question: is there anyone who has experience with the way from the norte to the camino ingles ?
Happy planning for you all .
Jan

Thank you for your advices.

After some research I think the eroski websit has a lot of information, but I will go by the gronze website.
I think their information is more actual, and gives me more flexability.
I think it is wise to give a call to albergues, one day before arrival, to see if they are really open for guests in January.

Just booked my flight on January 2 to Bilbao, hope to be on my way soon.

One more question: is there anyone who has experience with the way from the norte to the camino ingles ?
Happy planning for you all .
Jan
Hi, Jan,
I use all three websites, mundicamino, grone and eroski, and I inevitably find some things useful in each one. I agree with you that calling ahead is a very good idea in January.

Both Alan Sykes and magwood have gone from Ribadeo, up around the coast on the Ruta del Mar, and then joined with the Ingles outside of Ferrol. You should look for their posts in the "ruta del mar" section of the forum. I would think that January would not be the most hospitable of weather.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/ruta-do-mar-from-ribadeo.112/

Buen camino, not many days now, lucky you! Laurie

We walked the Ruta do Mar too in May 2015. You can check out our posts, also in the Ruta do Mar (from Ribadeo) area of the forum, and also the blog 'Camino 2015' to see sections we walked and comments. There is no 'Camino' infrastructure so a real need to check ahead for accommodation,especially in winter. Those of us who have walked this have all diverted onto slightly different routes at some place, and we also used the FEVE when distances and accommodation did not work out.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.