• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking 3 days of Camino del Norte from Bilbao

christinaravine

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2024
Hi everyone!
My partner and I are planning a trip to the south of France and north of Spain in summer 2024. We'd love to walk some of the Camino del Norte - due to time constraints we can only really walk 3, possibly 4, days. We're looking to start walking somewhere like Bilbao. I'm finding it quite hard to find information about only doing a section of the Camino, especially when that's section is near the start of the route rather than at the end! If anyone could advise us, that would be greatly appreciated. We would like to know if 3 days of walking from Bilbao will give us a nice taster of coastal paths, towns to stop in, beautiful scenery, etc. or if there is somewhere else, not too far from there, that would be better to start from. We also need to know how easy it will be to get a bus (or taxi) back to Bilbao from wherever we finish. It looks like we might be able to get to Laredo in 3 days. Any advice much appreciated! Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is an alternative assuming Bilbao is your entry and exit point. Catch a short train out of Bilbao to Portugalete and start your journey from there. Walk onto Castro Urdiales, Laredo, Guemes and then Santander. The train journey back to Bilbao from Santander is just over 3 hours time.

Thanks for the advice @stevepjq
I have come across suggestions to start from Portugalete. Do you think we can reach Santander in 3-4 days of walking from there?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would go farther than that, to perhaps La Arena, as the walk leaving Portugalete is along a busy highway.
The walk out of Portugalete is only along a busy highway for like 3 km (or so). Then it's along a bike path all the way to La Arena.

I would hate to miss the Vizcaya elevated bridge, but I wouldn't waste a walking day (sorta industrial along the river) getting there with such a limited timeframe.

I fully support starting in Castro, but that first day to Laredo from Castro (as walking according to Gronze reco (solid line)) is definitely along a busy highway (N-634!). Tho after that part, it you take the senda costal, its AMAZING.

I think walking from Castro to Santander would be perfect! Boat rides! (2)... beach walking and sunbathing!! Guemes! Just always take the option on the right (the coast).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone!
My partner and I are planning a trip to the south of France and north of Spain in summer 2024. We'd love to walk some of the Camino del Norte - due to time constraints we can only really walk 3, possibly 4, days. We're looking to start walking somewhere like Bilbao. I'm finding it quite hard to find information about only doing a section of the Camino, especially when that's section is near the start of the route rather than at the end! If anyone could advise us, that would be greatly appreciated. We would like to know if 3 days of walking from Bilbao will give us a nice taster of coastal paths, towns to stop in, beautiful scenery, etc. or if there is somewhere else, not too far from there, that would be better to start from. We also need to know how easy it will be to get a bus (or taxi) back to Bilbao from wherever we finish. It looks like we might be able to get to Laredo in 3 days. Any advice much appreciated! Thanks
3 day itinerary: Castro -> Laredo -> Guemes -> Santander
4 day Itinerary: Pobena -> Castro -> Laredo -> Guemes -> Santander

The nice thing about ending up in Santander is it's a big city, so I imagine public transport options going back to Bilbao from there will be more convenient than ending up in a smaller place. Tho I've personally never done this.

EDIT: I've never had to go back to Bilbao! I've walked the routes described 5 times.

Last edited:
I walked from Irun to Villaviciosa on the Norte in September of this year then cut over on the Primitivo to finish in Santiago. I'm not in any way pushing my video's but I did a daily (sometimes two days) video series of that walk on YouTube if you want to check it out. You might find it helpful in making your choice. https://www.youtube.com/@TheCidandBadgerita/playlists. You will find a Playlist for Camino Norte.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
3 day itinerary: Castro -> Laredo -> Guemes -> Santander
4 day Itinerary: Pobena -> Castro -> Laredo -> Guemes -> Santander

The nice thing about ending up in Santander is it's a big city, so I imagine public transport options going back to Bilbao from there will be more convenient than ending up in a smaller place. Tho I've personally never done this.

EDIT: I've never had to go back to Bilbao! I've walked the routes described 5 times.
That's really useful, thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.