• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Sureste

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A question based, unfortunately, on my complete ignorance of this particular Camino route and area of Spain. So...apart from what I suspect are the obvious 'rest day' venues on the Sureste (Toledo and Avila) - where else would a tired pilgrim take a day's pause? While most of the route is a mystery (which I like at this stage of planning) I'm particularly interested in recommendations for rest day stops between (1) Alicante and Toledo, and (2) Avila and Astorga. Thanks for the feedback!!

The towns you mentioned (Toledo and Ávila) are the largest ones. Apart from them, the other villages are pretty small. I walked the Sureste in 2015 and can't think of any place where I would have enough to do to have a rest day... I remember Arévalo having several mudéjar churches if that is your thing. I found Escalona to be very pretty as well and I think it would be nice to spend an extra day there.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The towns you mentioned (Toledo and Ávila) are the largest ones. Apart from them, the other villages are pretty small. I walked the Sureste in 2015 and can't think of any place where I would have enought to do to have a rest day... I remember Arévalo having several mudéjar churches if that is your thing. I found Escalona to be very pretty as well and I think it would be nice to spend an extra day there.
Thanks Bad Pilgrim. Rest days for us are generally quiet affairs. I'm thinking if a town has a couple of bars/restaurants then it comes into play. We'll look forward to visiting Escalona.

Thanks Bad Pilgrim. Rest days for us are generally quiet affairs. I'm thinking if a town has a couple of bars/restaurants then it comes into play. We'll look forward to visiting Escalona.
Oh, then you can stay almost anywhere because all towns & villages are pretty pleasant, and large enough to have bars and restaurants. A few heads-ups:

Gotarrendura is the smallest place (to stay) on the Camino and there is only 1 bar (nowhere to buy food). But it is the supposed birthplace of Santa Teresa (a big wig in the Catholic Church) so interestingly enough there is room for sightseeing there.

Pétrola is also a small place and the albergue is very basic (no showers) so I would never stay more than 1 day...

Toboso has things related to Don Quijote so if one likes Spanish literature it would be nice to stay an extra day.

Cebreros and San Bartolomé de Pinares would be nice rest days just for the sheer beauty of the surroundings, I think! I found them very relaxing.

But all this is from 2015 and from my foggy memory so take it with a grain of salt.

Rest days for us are generally quiet affairs. I'm thinking if a town has a couple of bars/restaurants then it comes into play.
So, a few more small town options. BP has given you some good ones.

Unfortunately, it’s only a few days out of Ávila, but Arévalo is an amazing small town with THREE plazas mayores and a castle. Beautiful romanesque/mudéjar churches and the oldest plaza is just stunning (though, IMHO, it would be a more wonderful place if it were actually lived in and used, rather than being what it is, just a series of preserved buildings, no cafés, etc). Good restaurants, all services.

Tembleque is another small town option, with all services. It has one of the most well-known plazas mayores in Spain.

I haven’t walked the Sureste, but these places on the Levante are also on the Sureste. For me, one of the nicest things about the Levante was that so many destinations were small locales with lots of historic architecture and a good feeling. You might want to just wing it and stop when you come to a place that appeals, or when your body cries out for a rest!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh, then you can stay almost anywhere because all towns & villages are pretty pleasant, and large enough to have bars and restaurants. A few heads-ups:

Gotarrendura is the smallest place (to stay) on the Camino and there is only 1 bar (nowhere to buy food). But it is the supposed birthplace of Santa Teresa (a big wig in the Catholic Church) so interestingly enough there is room for sightseeing there.

Pétrola is also a small place and the albergue is very basic (no showers) so I would never stay more than 1 day...

Toboso has things related to Don Quijote so if one likes Spanish literature it would be nice to stay an extra day.

Cebreros and San Bartolomé de Pinares would be nice rest days just for the sheer beauty of the surroundings, I think! I found them very relaxing.

But all this is from 2015 and from my foggy memory so take it with a grain of salt.
Brilliant information...thank you!
Cebreros and San Bartolome de Pinares are likely too close to Avila to get a 'guernsey'. Likewise Gotarrendura, but we'll certainly take our time here visiting St Teresa's birth place (having had good intentions to visit her burial site [Alba de Tormes] when we walked through Salamanca last year). I agree Toboso would be of interest, but think the 'body' will be looking around Albacete, La roda, Minaya or El Provencio. As such...your first sentence comes into play nicely! Thanks again.

So, a few more small town options. BP has

Unfortunately, it’s only a few days out of Ávila, but Arévalo is an amazing small town with THREE plazas mayores and a castle. Beautiful romanesque/mudéjar churches and the oldest plaza is just stunning (though, IMHO, it would be a more wonderful place if it were actually lived in and used, rather than being what it is, just a series of preserved buildings, no cafés, etc). Good restaurants, all services.

Tembleque is another small town option, with all services. It has one of the most well-known plazas mayores in Spain.

I haven’t walked the Sureste, but these places on the Levante are also on the Sureste. For me, one of the nicest things about the Levante was that so many destinations were small locales with lots of historic architecture and a good feeling. You might want to just wing it and stop when you come to a place that appeals, or when your body cries out for a rest!
Yep...this Camino may just necessitate a bit more of the 'winging it' apporach - which is quite opposed to my usual planned tack. Maybe its the path we really need to walk (?) Thank you so much for the good advice.

Bad Pilgrim - on the Sureste, Petrola looks like a difficult stop for the night (and seemingly a challenge to stage past unless you're up for a 40+ Klm day). I've looked at the Albergue Listing from the Association, but nothing penned for Petrola. I've also noted a 'seasoned' You Tube pilgrim (Ray Aquilina) bouncing forward to Chinchilla de Monte-Aragon for his night's accommodation on this leg. Can you point me in the direction of any detail you might have on the Petrola albergue? As always - the guidance you're offering is very much appreciated!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bad Pilgrim - on the Sureste, Petrola looks like a difficult stop for the night (and seemingly a challenge to stage past unless you're up for a 40+ Klm day). I've looked at the Albergue Listing from the Association, but nothing penned for Petrola. I've also noted a 'seasoned' You Tube pilgrim (Ray Aquilina) bouncing forward to Chinchilla de Monte-Aragon for his night's accommodation on this leg. Can you point me in the direction of any detail you might have on the Petrola albergue? As always - the guidance you're offering is very much appreciated!!

On the list it says: "PETROLA. Lugar de acogida en local junto a la iglesia – c/ Pajar - (Cuatro literas, – lavabo y wáter – no hay ducha). Llamar con un día de antelación al Sr. Damián López al Tlno. 96728.6005."

But I don't know if the information is up to date.

The albergue is an annex to the church, so it is easy to find. I don't know why anyone would close it, if they haven't decided to use it as something else, like a storage room... I think Ray chose to stay in another town for the night just to get a better place to sleep; it doesn't necessarily mean that the albergue was closed. Imagine having walked all day in summer out there, boiling, and then there is no shower..! Sure, how demanding of me... But I would think twice before staying there again. Anyway, perhaps you will not walk in the hottest months like I did.

On the list it says: "PETROLA. Lugar de acogida en local junto a la iglesia – c/ Pajar - (Cuatro literas, – lavabo y wáter – no hay ducha). Llamar con un día de antelación al Sr. Damián López al Tlno. 96728.6005."

But I don't know if the information is up to date.

The albergue is an annex to the church, so it is easy to find. I don't know why anyone would close it, if they haven't decided to use it as something else, like a storage room... I think Ray chose to stay in another town for the night just to get a better place to sleep; it doesn't necessarily mean that the albergue was closed. Imagine having walked all day in summer out there, boiling, and then there is no shower..! Sure, how demanding of me... But I would think twice before staying there again. Anyway, perhaps you will not walk in the hottest months like I did.
Bad Pilgrim...my bad...and apologies. You know I looked at that list this afternoon and, for the life of me, couldn't see it. Happy to report...we have the SAME list!

Your additional info is valuable too. We plan to walk in late September '25 and, hopefully, link into the Frances at Astorga by mid October...or thereabouts. I suspect it will be hot out of Alicante, but more moderate when we start the final leg. Cheers mate...appreciate your help!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bad Pilgrim...my bad...and apologies. You know I looked at that list this afternoon and, for the life of me, couldn't see it. Happy to report...we have the SAME list!

Your additional info is valuable too. We plan to walk in late September '25 and, hopefully, link into the Frances at Astorga by mid October...or thereabouts. I suspect it will be hot out of Alicante, but more moderate when we start the final leg. Cheers mate...appreciate your help!
This reply is a bit after the event but we stayed in the albergue in Petrola in November 2018. It was as described, an annex to the church with no shower. It was cold (the walls are stone) but there was plenty of room (it was indeed being used as a storage room) and the water from the basin was enough for a wash. We'd happily stay there again.

This reply is a bit after the event but we stayed in the albergue in Petrola in November 2018. It was as described, an annex to the church with no shower. It was cold (the walls are stone) but there was plenty of room (it was indeed being used as a storage room) and the water from the basin was enough for a wash. We'd happily stay there again.
Thank you Rireana! Valuable intel indeed as it gives me a planning option. I'm just starting my research for the del Sureste, and from watching the few YouTube videos on this route (and few net-based resources) it seems Petrola is the clear end point of a 23km stage, but with quite limited options for an overnight. In fact the two vids I've watched...both sets of pilgrims taxied to Chinchilla de Monte Aragon for their evening rest. While it looks particularly basic...I'm encouraged that you'd '...happily stay there again'.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience...much appreciated!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Rireana! Valuable intel indeed as it gives me a planning option. I'm just starting my research for the del Sureste, and from watching the few YouTube videos on this route (and few net-based resources) it seems Petrola is the clear end point of a 23km stage, but with quite limited options for an overnight. In fact the two vids I've watched...both sets of pilgrims taxied to Chinchilla de Monte Aragon for their evening rest. While it looks particularly basic...I'm encouraged that you'd '...happily stay there again'.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience...much appreciated!
Happy to help Kev&Kath. The Sureste is a wonderful experience and being basic is part of its charm. Don't hesitate to ask if you would like more feedback.

Happy to help Kev&Kath. The Sureste is a wonderful experience and being basic is part of its charm. Don't hesitate to ask if you would like more feedback.
Rireana...I was hoping you would say that! We'll be heading to Lisbon later this year for the CP, but following that pilgrimage we'll start active planning for the Sureste pilgrimage out of Alicante...in Sep '25. I'd really like to have you 'on call' to bounce things off as plans start to gel. Thank you...really appreciated.

Kev&Kath - we are happy to be "called on".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back