• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - 8th April from SJPP

cwarnock

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Apr-May 2019); planning Camino Sanabres (Oct 2019)
I'm starting my first Camino on 8th April from St Jean Pied de Port. My wife is joining me for the first week before returning to our family and her job as a school teacher, while I hope to carry on to Santiago aiming to arrive mid May.

I was inspired by an old family friend who walked the Camino Frances several times in the late 80s and 90s. He introduced it to my father who joined him several times and has three Compostelas, and he in turn encouraged my mother to join him on her first Camino from Leon. She still says it was one of the best things she ever did.

I am having a middle-aged "gap year" (motto: "to find myself and lose myself" (i.e. some weight!) and am looking forward to the whole experience.

Thanks to Ivar and other forum members for all of the helpful posts and insights which have helped me both to plan and also to realise the importance of "letting go" and allowing the Camino to come to me.

We are lucky enough to have the Confraternity of St James here in the UK and we live close enough to London to visit their library and attend some of their events. I'm looking forward to attending the CSJ Practical Pilgrim day in February and hope to stay in their albergue in Rabanal.

Given the uncertainty about the weather in April, and the need to have some kind of plan for that first week to allow us to plan my wife's hopping off point and return travel, I've decided to take the low risk option of walking the "alternative" route via Valcarlos. We will also be stopping at Valcarlos (at the municipal albergue) to make two shorter days as we ease ourselves into the journey.

After my wife and I part ways in Puente La Reina I've not booked any accommodation and hope to take it as it comes, though I have read in some other posts that I might need to keep an eye on the accommodation situation during Semana Santa.

I see from the calendar that a few others are starting in early April too - hopefully I will meet some of you along the way.

Buen Camino

Colin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum Colin!
The Valcarlos albergue although municipal take reservations. You can book via either of these email addresses.
Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es.
or
turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net

Do be aware that from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles monastery there are no services nor potabile water. Buy any trail snacks that you might need walking when you arrive in Valcarlos so that you can leave early from Valcarlos before the shops are open. Be prepared!

For more info on this historic route see

Good luck and Buen camino to both you and your wife!

Last edited:
Thanks mspath. Yes I've been able to book spaces in the municipal albergue in Valcarlos. I also appreciate the advice on stocking up for the walk to Roncesvalles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Colin, My name is Michael and I started the Camino last May for a week and walked From SJPD to Estella and then I returned in September and walked from Estella to Burgos.

For whats its worth, the health of your feet are most important, I used

Salomon Men’s X Ultra 3 GORE-TEX® Mid Boot.

I also got non blister socks from Decathlon, cost about €1.50 a pair, but priceless. I've met so many pilgrims with very sore blistered feet.

Also travel lightly, no more that 7 kg...you'd be surprised what you can live without.......or pick up along the way...

I've had absolutely no feet issues on either of my Camino walks . I am planning to be back on the Camino from on May 2nd 2019 to walk from Burgos to Leon. (Flight's Booked)

Another thing to consider is with Brexit, that if the UK crash out with out any arrangement, you might loose the Europen Insurance card so some other kind of medical insurance may be needed

Enjoy your walk

Michael

Thanks Michael. I have very wide feet but am getting on well with my new Meindls. No blisters so far at least...

I have a 36L rucksack and a good set of weighing scales!

As for Brexit... don't get me started, but thanks for the reminder about the EHIC (or possible lack of!)

Good luck with your journey to Leon in May.

Thanks Michael. I have very wide feet but am getting on well with my new Meindls. No blisters so far at least...

I have a 36L rucksack and a good set of weighing scales!

As for Brexit... don't get me started, but thanks for the reminder about the EHIC (or possible lack of!)

Good luck with your journey to Leon in May.

Hi, cwarnock, I very much enjoyed reading your post; it made me very excited for you and eager to read anything that you might post here as your journey progresses. If I can be of any help at all, send me a private message through the Forum.

I do not know if you have seen any of John Sikora's videos, but he videotaped each stage -- a couple missing due to weather and his GoPro -- each step of the way. The footage was edited into a wonderful Hyperlapse fast forward style of presentation; you see each step of each stage in 20 to 30 minutes, rather than 7 to 10 hours. :)

John started with the route from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles going via Valcarlos. If watching it, you will be able to get a good overview of the route. He also has footage using the Napoleon route, too. You can access the whole series of videos easily by looking at John's playlists on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, cwarnock, I very much enjoyed reading your post; it made me very excited for you and eager to read anything that you might post here as your journey progresses. If I can be of any help at all, send me a private message through the Forum.

I do not know if you have seen any of John Sikora's videos, but he videotaped each stage -- a couple missing due to weather and his GoPro -- each step of the way. The footage was edited into a wonderful Hyperlapse fast forward style of presentation; you see each step of each stage in 20 to 30 minutes, rather than 7 to 10 hours. :)

John started with the route from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles going via Valcarlos. If watching it, you will be able to get a good overview of the route. He also has footage using the Napoleon route, too. You can access the whole series of videos easily by looking at John's playlists on YouTube.

Thanks Dave. What an amazing resource. So much is written about the Route de Napoleon, so it is great to have more on the Valcarlos route.

Hi Colin,
I started from SJPDP on april 5th 2018, and did not decide what route to take before the same morning. Ended up doing the Napoleon route, it was hard, but fantastic.
2 days later I believe it was closed due to more snow. Whatever you do, I wish you a Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.