• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - April, may or june?

irrie

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Camino Portugues 2024 Via Francigena
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I am retired since last month and my husband and I want to walk the camino frances next year. I have got already a lot of information from this forum. The only thing is that I am not sure when to go. I was thinking to start after easter, but now I have read that that time will be relatively busy. There should be a remarkeble dip from the beginning of june to the end of july? Is that a better time to start? The weather doesn’t bother me much.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Besides the numbers of people on holiday and the inconveniences of trying to walk during mid April at Easter, the first of May is a big holiday along with Ascension is at the end of of May. Some of these celebrations are fun but they can go on all night long. July 5 to 15 is San Fermin in Pamplona and it should be avoided at all cost, mainly because it will cost you an arm and leg to stay anywhere nearby. There was no festival in 2021, so it will probably be heavily attended this year. There are lots of local festivals in different villages in the summer, they can be a lot of fun to attend and fortunately most of visitors are staying with family and friends. You can find where and when these festivals are on line.
You say you don't mind the weather but depending on where you plan to start, the mountains can br fairly iffy weather-wise in April and into early May. Consider that most of the Caminos are on latitude 40 north, so the weather is not terribly different from upper states in the US and the mountains are higher than the most of the Appalachians which are 2000 metres.

Before Easter or after the 1st of September would be my recommendation.

Easter through to late summer are historically busy; add to that the 2020-2021 backlog and the extended holy year on top of the usual bed-race and it’s reasonable to expect it to be very busy indeed.

IIRC the Pope’s due sometime next year also.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I am retired since last month and my husband and I want to walk the camino frances next year. I have got already a lot of information from this forum. The only thing is that I am not sure when to go. I was thinking to start after easter, but now I have read that that time will be relatively busy. There should be a remarkeble dip from the beginning of june to the end of july? Is that a better time to start? The weather doesn’t bother me much.
Not sure I can add much else but here is my experience: I travelled mid April through end of May 2018. The Napoleon route from St Jean Pied de Port was closed that week over the Pyrenees and I had only three days of rain during my entire Camino Frances. Leaving O Cebreiro there was even a bit of snow in May. That being said I found the temperature perfect for walking. Cool in the morning, warmed up to the 15-20 degrees C (60's F) during most days and it even made sure the water I had with me was cool to drink. It wasn't very crowded and finding accommodations wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you try to stay just after the cities it will feel less crowded. Fewer in the village than the city; fewer starting at the same time as you.

The weather will be fine anytime April to June. I have not been in July/August but I can say it is much more pleasant to walk in 22 degrees than 35 degrees.

I did 10 days early April 2018 then 11 days late March early April 2019 then somehow missed April 2020 and 2021 but hope to finish end October, early November this year.
I seem no reason for not going after Easter. My understanding was that things got steadily busier from then on.
Good Luck
Enjoy
Buen Camino

Thanks for the question. I also want to start mid-April to avoid summer heat and crowds. Easter is 4/17/22. My thought would be to start that day. I think Easter Monday is celebrated, too. Will this mean two days of closed restaurants and albergues between SJDP and Pamplona?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the question. I also want to start mid-April to avoid summer heat and crowds. Easter is 4/17/22. My thought would be to start that day. I think Easter Monday is celebrated, too. Will this mean two days of closed restaurants and albergues between SJDP and Pamplona
Every day of Semana Santa is celebrated - especially in larger towns - with more participants as the week goes on.

Nothing - so far as accommodation, food and drink is concerned - will be closed; but all will be busy.

Just be aware that many Spanish people walk the week leading up to Easter, then they go back to work or study.

The best time to me is starting in July 😎 You cannot fault it 😎
Unfortunately, next year, I may have to start in Aprril and I am dreading it! Everybody and his dog seem to start in April! 😱

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always walk from mid April until late may. Tthe temperatures are comfortable then. In June it begins to get dramatically hotter.

I walked in late may and early June. The wildflowers are so amazing at that time of year. I hope to go again just for that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you try to stay just after the cities it will feel less crowded. Fewer in the village than the city; fewer starting at the same time as you.

The weather will be fine anytime April to June. I have not been in July/August but I can say it is much more pleasant to walk in 22 degrees than 35 degrees.
I'm planning on walking from St Jean on or around March 28th/29th 2022 and ending in Burgos or a couple days after that....

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back