• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances Daily Mileage

GoBosco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Sept - Oct 2017
Just booked our flights and excited to start at St. Jean in early Sept. We plan on 30 days of walking with two days of rest. We're fairly active and did a "test walk" last week of 14.5 miles in four hours. Granted, didn't have a backpack and it was only one day but it was pretty easy. We're in no rush but to complete the Camino in 30 days of walking we would have to average about 16 miles a day. My question is: does this sound realistic? Am I missing something? Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take a look at what the various guides, paper or on line suggest as stages. Ersoki says 31 , MundiCamino 34, Gronze 33. So many do it. Some do it is less time. I would want some 40 days for myself.

One day of walking with no pack is very different than the wear and tear of day after day after day walking, with a back pack, poor sleep on iffy mattresses and snorers, tendonitis, shin splints, blisters. I guess only time will tell if you a 30 day walker.

Push comes to shove, you finish where you finish and come back next year to complete your walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Welcome to the forum, @GoBosco! Yes, it is certainly feasible if you are in good shape. However, keep in mind that early September is going to be very warm/hot weather and combined with mileage, reduced sleeping quality (snoring is king in the Albergues!) it may be harder to maintain your 'normal' mileage. If you don't have any particular rush you may find it more enjoyable to not push too hard and enjoy the surroundings while you're there. The nice thing is that there are, for the most cases, Albergues in short intervals so when you have energy you can push on and when you don't you can find a bed for the night and enjoy a cold beverage!
Buen Camino, Jordon.

We took 44 days to do it including injury and sick time. This time we will use 60+ days. We walk 12+ miles(20k) in the Florida heat with 8kg backpacks in 3.5 hrs. Unless you are use to mountainous treks, the Camino has a way of letting you know the difference between what you think was proper training to what is required for Camino shape. The first week -10 days will whip you into shape if you are not already one of the mountain people. The Camino is not all hard, mountain trekking as much as it is being mentally tough each morning to face the same routine/grind. We carried, me(18kgs) wife (14kgs), this year neither bag exceeds 8 kgs. Chalk that up to experience...lol. 16 miles a day, day in and day out.... hmmmmmmmmmmm :cool: and remember ... unless you have time constraints ... take it slow and enjoy it

p.s we are in our 60's BUEN CAMINO !!!!! :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I averaged about 16 miles a day and walked for 31 days and I trained extensively and in the first two weeks it can be very exhausting ( my feet fell apart completely in Burgos and I needed a rest day.). Your feet will feel like they are falling off because the terrain is both uneven and can be unsettling. And you are going to do some serious climbing day after day, not huge elevation changes after day 1, but up and down during the first couple of weeks. And walking with a backpack on the terrain up and down will be a struggle at times. What you can do on flat terrain with no backpack is not really indicative of what you are getting ready to do until you reach the flatter region. You get a break from the heavy up and down for a weeks or so and then more climbing pops up again. The best thing you can do is start climbing and working your cardio, your cardio will be challenged in many cases as much as your legs and your legs get stronger as you go. And you will want to figure out what climbing does to your feet as far as swelling and that means you may want to take a weekend and walk 15 miles back to back days, with backpack and include hills and you will start to get some good feedback.

Just booked our flights and excited to start at St. Jean in early Sept. We plan on 30 days of walking with two days of rest. We're fairly active and did a "test walk" last week of 14.5 miles in four hours. Granted, didn't have a backpack and it was only one day but it was pretty easy. We're in no rush but to complete the Camino in 30 days of walking we would have to average about 16 miles a day. My question is: does this sound realistic? Am I missing something? Thanks.
14kms with no pack is very different to say. 25kms, with a pack! And it can be very hot with no shade for miles! But it's all part of what makes the Camino! An awesome experience - and you'll just take the day off if you're tired or sore!

Hi GoBosco,
My wife and I are also starting our first Camino in Sept. We are in our mid 40's, extremely fit and healthy. Training for this adventure/pilgrimage started 12+ months ago with regular 15km+ walks (with and without packs) & boot camp 3-4 days a week.
We haven't set a time frame as such, as long as we make our departure flight from Barcelona on the 18th Oct.
Reading various social media and books on this pilgrimage there are too many variables. As mentioned above, blisters, sleep deprivation, etc.
Too us this pilgrimage is a time to reflect, revitalize, take in the history and site see, local culture & most of all meet like minded pilgrims.
All the best & hope you enjoy your Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It took me 31 days, and I took just one rest day. I averaged 15 miles per day, with my longest day being about 22 miles. This year I don't plan to take any rest day. I'd rather get my rest by walking a couple of short days in a row. And walking multiple consecutive days, up and down hill with a backpack is definitely different than a one off 15 mile hike.
This website has 3 different walking plans for the Camino Frances starting from SJPDP, 35, 31 and 26 days: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/m/guide/1-the-french-way/route-list/#trails

My preferred mileage on the Camino is 13 miles per day. I've done a few 15-18 mile days when necessary, but my feet start telling me they don't like it!

A one day test walk won't provide an answer to the question: Can I keep up my test walking pace day after day for however many weeks you will be pursuing your Camino?

An example: For many, blisters don't occur until day two or three. During the first day or two, unnoticeable pre-hotspots begin to happen; feet feel sort of like after walking a ways barefoot on warm concrete or asphalt. It is an understated feeling of subtle rawness. When looking at the bottoms and heels of one's feet, they feel a bit tender, but there are no obvious blister formations or hotspots. This is when preventive taping needs to be rigorously done, but frequently, most won't.

During days two and three, the feet, having been subjected to the previous day's insults and now being tasked to continue walking yet another long distance day, begin to develop significant hotspots and blisters. Until one is doing multi-days of long-distance trekking, they will not know if the above will apply to them, or if they will be blister free. :)

Achilles tendons may respond to the unusual amount of repetitive walking by becoming tender and a bit swollen; sure to become a problem if not dealt with in the early stages of inflammation.

A new pattern of daily long-distance walks will also put unusual strain on the arches and plantar fascia... Being new to long-distance walking over many weeks, untrained feet may go ballistic with all the new stresses and pounding that they must now adapt to.

Shoulders, upper back and neck muscles all become strained from carrying backpacks loaded with pounds/kilograms of weight that they normally don't tote. Although most of the pack's weight is shifted to the hip belt, the shoulder girdle still carries some of the weight and keeps the pack from flopping backwards. Attention must be paid to those areas so that soreness doesn't become inflamation and agony.

The lower back is dealing with about 75 to 80% of the weight of the pack via the hipbelt. Aches and pains may occur that become increasingly aggravating by having to carry one's pack day after day.

Knees, ankles, shinsplints (ugh).....

All of the above, and more, are what a single practice walk over 14 miles will not reveal to you prior to the Camino. That is why you need to focus more on paying attention to what your body NEEDS you to do, mileage wise, and ease into the daily mileage. Let your body harden into its new found physical activity..... allow time for your body to adapt. For those who are not experienced long-distance walkers, thru-hikers, or trekkers, trying to push your body too soon is a recipe for misery.

Let your body be the one dictating your pace. If you follow that advice, you will find that the daily distances you walk on the Camino will increase over the following days and weeks.

Buen Camino, Pilgrim. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
A one day test walk won't provide an answer to the question: Can I keep up my test walking pace day after day for however many weeks you will be pursuing your Camino?

An example: For many, blisters don't occur until day two or three. During the first day or two, unnoticeable pre-hotspots begin to happen; feet feel sort of like after walking a ways barefoot on warm concrete or asphalt. It is an understated feeling of subtle rawness. When looking at the bottoms and heels of one's feet, they feel a bit tender, but there are no obvious blister formations or hotspots. This is when preventive taping needs to be rigorously done, but frequently, most won't.

During days two and three, the feet, having been subjected to the previous day's insults and now being tasked to continue walking yet another long distance day, begin to develop significant hotspots and blisters. Until one is doing multi-days of long-distance trekking, they will not know if the above will apply to them, or if they will be blister free. :)

Achilles tendons may respond to the unusual amount of repetitive walking by becoming tender and a bit swollen; sure to become a problem if not dealt with in the early stages of inflammation.

A new pattern of daily long-distance walks will also put unusual strain on the arches and plantar fascia... Being new to long-distance walking over many weeks, untrained feet may go ballistic with all the new stresses and pounding that they must now adapt to.

Shoulders, upper back and neck muscles all become strained from carrying backpacks loaded with pounds/kilograms of weight that they normally don't tote. Although most of the pack's weight is shifted to the hip belt, the shoulder girdle still carries some of the weight and keeps the pack from flopping backwards. Attention must be paid to those areas so that soreness doesn't become inflamation and agony.

The lower back is dealing with about 75 to 80% of the weight of the pack via the hipbelt. Aches and pains may occur that become increasingly aggravating by having to carry one's pack day after day.

All of the above, and more, are what a single practice walk over 14 miles will not reveal to you prior to the Camino. That is why you need to focus more on paying attention to what your body NEEDS you to do, mileage wise, and ease into the daily mileage. Let your body harden into its new found physical activity..... allow time for your body to adapt. For those who are not experienced long-distance walkers, thru-hikers, or trekkers, trying to push your body too soon is a recipe for misery.

Let your body be the one dictating your pace. If you follow that advice, you will find that the daily distances you walk on the Camino will increase over the following days and weeks.

Amen! Very nicely written and so true!

It took me 31 days, and I took just one rest day. I averaged 15 miles per day, with my longest day being about 22 miles. This year I don't plan to take any rest day. I'd rather get my rest by walking a couple of short days in a row. And walking multiple consecutive days, up and down hill with a backpack is definitely different than a one off 15 mile hike.
This website has 3 different walking plans for the Camino Frances starting from SJPDP, 35, 31 and 26 days: http://santiago.forwalk.org/en/m/guide/1-the-french-way/route-list/#trails
Thanks Trecile,
Great info for a first timer.

You don't mention your age, but that can be a consideration.
Even if you're in decent shape, the Camino can be relentless. As others have said, the day-in-day-out walking with weight in all weather is what makes the Camino challenging. And the older you are the longer it takes to recover in the middle of that day to day grind.
So if you're not sure and have time to spare, why not give yourself a buffer of a few extra days? That way you won't feel at all pressured.

I don't want to get into a debate about fast or slow Caminos, but I did mine in 50 days with multiple rest days. The definition of rest day changed quite a bit. Initially, I thought that it would be because I was tired (66 years old at the time of the Camino and in ok shape but not top notch). Instead, the rest days became a time to rest but more important a time to just visit the place I was in without worrying about the next day's walk. It was the chance to sit in the plaza and have a cafe or beer and just watch and listen. I found those rest days to be among the best of the trip. As others have said, if you have the time, take the time. You might not pass this way again.

Walking the 775km. in 30 day's will be a average of about 26km. with no rest day's.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

I don't want to get into a debate about fast or slow Caminos, but I did mine in 50 days with multiple rest days. The definition of rest day changed quite a bit. Initially, I thought that it would be because I was tired (66 years old at the time of the Camino and in ok shape but not top notch). Instead, the rest days became a time to rest but more important a time to just visit the place I was in without worrying about the next day's walk. It was the chance to sit in the plaza and have a cafe or beer and just watch and listen. I found those rest days to be among the best of the trip. As others have said, if you have the time, take the time. You might not pass this way again.

I couldn't agree more and it is why we are allocating at a minimum, 60 days to trek the Camino !!!

I found that actual mileage on my feet was far greater than the town-to-town mileage listed in the book.

Once I arrived at the daily destination, I had to wash clothes, walk downtown to the local church and other tourist site, shop for tomorrow's lunch, walk to a bar for a drink, then to restaurant for dinner and back to the albergue/hotel. Small towns are not a problem, but larger cities could add an extra 5-10K on your already tired feet.

If you are totally exhausted at the end of the day and stay in bed at the albergue/hotel, your would certainly miss a lot of the Camino.

-Paul

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We did it in April in 28 days. I'm 52 and my son 19. We are pretty fit, but we did blister up after 5 days though we kept them under control. Look aft your feet! I think 30 days is ample as long as you wear decent shoes or boots, broken in and maybe afford yourself the luxury of carrying a spare pair of comfortable trainers like we did. That was our one extra 'luxury' and I was so glad that we did. When our feet started to hurt we changed footwear straight away.
We didn't struggle particularly in that 28 day period. We could have done it quicker but wanted to embrace the Camino experience. We actually had allowed for 31 days. I envy you....I'd go back like a shot. It was the best ever experience. So you know what they say 'Buen Camino' , enjoy and savour it as it goes in a flash.
Ps get up early .....walk in the cooler hours. We have long legs so we were always quick walkers, but setting out by 7am in April really did pay dividends.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola @GoBosco
I am just back from a May-June Camino Frances (started May 1). I took 37 days plus 3 rest days (Pamplona / Burgos / Leon). The Pamplona day off was not necessary and probably could have been reduced to a half day. Also I took two days to walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles (and a taxi to Espinal - accommodation & weather issues) and in other places I had shorter days than friend Brierley suggests.
My advice start slowly - say 4 days to Pamplona as your body/mind adjust to daily routine of backpack/strange beds/walking every day. As you become more Camino Fit you can increase the number of kilometres/miles you walk (comfortably) each day. By Burgos (a recommended rest day) you will know what is possible and what is not possible. Buen Camino.

We did it in April in 28 days. I'm 52 and my son 19. We are pretty fit, but we did blister up after 5 days though we kept them under control. Look aft your feet! I think 30 days is ample as long as you wear decent shoes or boots, broken in and maybe afford yourself the luxury of carrying a spare pair of comfortable trainers like we did. That was our one extra 'luxury' and I was so glad that we did. When our feet started to hurt we changed footwear straight away.
We didn't struggle particularly in that 28 day period. We could have done it quicker but wanted to embrace the Camino experience. We actually had allowed for 31 days. I envy you....I'd go back like a shot. It was the best ever experience. So you know what they say 'Buen Camino' , enjoy and savour it as it goes in a flash.
Ps get up early .....walk in the cooler hours. We have long legs so we were always quick walkers, but setting out by 7am in April really did pay dividends.

Thanks Martin. Sense we'll be fine. We live in a city and walk everywhere. Realize we'll have some tiresome times but do think the difficulty here is sometimes exaggerated. Two other quick questions: did you use walking poles and did you carry sleeping bags?Thanks again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thanks Dave. The El Camino Chamber of Commerce won't be hiring you any time soon.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I just finished the Camino Frances and Camino Finisterre on June 27. We are in our 60's reasonably fit and were walking 10-15 miles on flat streets and paths for months prior to going without packs and > 1 month with loaded packs. We averaged 2.5 miles an hour (4 km/hr.) on the flat sea level terrain and we generally took rest after 2 hours of walking. We are both retired so we could spend the time day after day. This did not prepare us completely for the Camino experience. I would recommend that you try multiple day hikes of 10+ miles at 5000 We did completeit in this time We allotted 45 walking days and 3 rest days for the combined Caminos and felt fairly confident we could achieve this.

My wife and I just finished the Camino Frances and Camino Finisterre on June 27. We are in our 60's reasonably fit and were walking 10-15 miles on flat streets and paths for months prior to going without packs and > 1 month with loaded packs. We averaged 2.5 miles an hour (4 km/hr.) walking on the flat sea level terrain and we generally took a 10 minute rest after ~ 2 hours of walking. We are both retired so we could spend the time day after day. We did try some hilly terrain hikes but ignored the problems we had with our 2 hikes (large elevation gain/loss at high elevation. This did not prepare us completely for the Camino experience. I would recommend that you try multiple day hikes of 10+ miles that gain AND lose at least 3000 feet in a day. If you find this relatively easy, you shouldn't have a problem, as long as you can walk the following days on level without an issue. We allotted 45 walking days and 3 rest/tourist days for the combined Caminos and felt fairly confident we could achieve this. This means we had to average ~20 km/day for each walking days and the 3 rest/tourist days were a cushion. We felt that we could give up the Finisterre route in a pinch, and if we finished earlier, we could add tourist days. We did complete both Caminos in our goal of 45 walking days and we needed each of the 2 rest days because of exhaustion, blisters and we had the 1 tourist day in Santiago so we could attend the Pilgrim mass and get a seat. At least 4 of the walking days, we were completely exhausted by the time we found a place for the night and could not have gone further under our own power. We ended up pre-booking for some of the nights, where end distance was critical and options few, after we found we had to walk past our goal to find a place to stay. We found that sleeping in an albergue was not as restful (for us) as at home, so that was a factor in how fresh we felt in the morning. If you can, I would break up the St Jean to Roncesvalles leg into 2 days and stay at Orison. That first leg is long and hard and the Orison albergue is very nice. This will REQUIRE reserving Orison at least a couple of months ahead of time. As others have said previously, Orison only accepts PayPal and it takes about a week to contact and complete the transaction. /QUOTE]

Sorry I hit return before completing the post the first time-so I have edited it.

Yo
You will miss a lot as far as scenery is concerned but if 30 days is all you have then you must do what you have to. If you have more time, stretch it out a bit to closer to 40

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started June 1 last year and arrived in Santiago June 30. I was 69 at the time and in good shape, although I have had many miles backpacking in the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies, the kind of backpacking which typically includes 3,000+ feet of elevation change. I got some blisters on the Camino, but nothing debilitating. But my point is not about whether you can do it in 30 days or not--sounds like you can, easily. A lot of great advice in posts on Ivar's site here, but here's a tidbit that I discovered on the 30th day. Santiago de Compostela should be savored for at least a full extra day, if not more. All of us who have completed the Camino Frances would probably agree that Burgos and Leon deserve an extra day as well. But I would argue that if one can only afford a single rest day or extra day, it should be Santiago.

GoBosco: I completed the Camino Frances end of April, 2017 and did SJPDP to Santiago in 26 days - about 30km per day. Had the advantage of great weather - not too hot, and only 3 or 4 days of rain. There are some great places to stop and spend the day if you are so inclined which would, of course add to your overall time. I'm not much of a tourist but still spent some time in Pomplona, Burgos, Astorga, Leon, to look around. Some of the smaller towns, I would tour around at night after dinner. I don't feel like I missed anything buy going at a fairly good clip. However, I was also walking 9 - 10 hours per day - depending on the elevations. I think you should be fine with the 30 days if that's the time you want to complete it in - gives you some time to shop / tour some of the towns. In the end, it comes down to doing what is best for you. I wouldn't rush it just to complete it in a certain number of days. It is a wonderful trip so you should fully enjoy it and go back and complete it another time if necessary. Buen Camino

Thanks for your post. I copied it to my camino-notes because I like your explanation so much.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One lady did it in 18 days albeit she saw nothing and must have talked to.no one. But you can make up a lot of time on the meseta after Burgos. I averaged 45 km for those 7 days. That being said I did it in 37 days minus 2 rest days. Good luck

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

16 miles a day is perfectly realistic. Physically this is unlikely to prove too difficult. You'll probably get a few blisters, tired heels and shins but apart from that you'll be fine. But, and it's an important but, psychologically it's hard to maintain this for 30 days. My wife and I comfortably walked up to 40 km per day but eventually you get emotionally tired. Rest days will help you regain composure and enthusiasm. Take a rest day each in at least Burgos and Leon, stop around 14:30 each day by which point you'll have covered between 25 km and 30 km comfortably and spend the rest of the day relaxing and enjoy the sunshine. You'll make your schedule if you don't push too hard.

A lot has already been said but I must agree with a previous poster that 16 miles on a one-day test walk without a pack gives little indication of how it will be on the Camino with a loaded pack in hot sunshine, driving rain, freezing cold and howling winds. day after day, week after week.

I walked the Frances in May in 29 days without a day off, so averaged a tick over 27 km. or 17 miles a day. The first 10 days were shorter than this as I built up some endurance, and even now my achilles tendon and I are are barely civil to each other. I could not agree more with those who have said that day after day and week after week of walking are far different to one days training walk. BTY, not that it is at all important, I am 69 next week.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Frances in May in 29 days without a day off, so averaged a tick over 27 km. or 17 miles a day. The first 10 days were shorter than this as I built up some endurance, and even now my achilles tendon and I are are barely civil to each other. I could not agree more with those who have said that day after day and week after week of walking are far different to one days training walk. BTY, not that it is at all important, I am 69 next week.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.
Slower start...can make it up on the meseta

Over the July 4 US holiday, I was able to train for the Camino by walking 100k/60miles in 4 days - 20 miles - 10 miles - 20 miles -10 miles. This is about as close to Camino conditions that I can replicate at home without using vacation time from work. To build my my endurance, it required several months of much shorter walks only on weekends.

If you have unlimited time in Spain, then start slowly and do your training in Spain on the Camino.

My time in Spain is limited, so I train at home so I am as ready as possible on first day of the Camino. Any medical issue caused by training are much easier to fix at home with my local English-speaking health care provider.

-Paul

Last edited:
30 days was my time however I would recommend taking more time. it went by sooooo fast. The journey is an amazing experience. Buen Camino to you both.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A group of friends and I just finished the Camino, most 60 or above. I left SJPP on 5/19 and arrived in Santiago on 6/22 with rest/relaxation days in Burgos, Leon and Astorga. We averaged 25 km per day, 20 shortest, 39 longest (at the end) by choice. Once you get started, it becomes easier and, you meet people as you go. Stay strong, walk your Camino and enjoy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A group of friends and I just finished the Camino, most 60 or above. I left SJPP on 5/19 and arrived in Santiago on 6/22 with rest/relaxation days in Burgos, Leon and Astorga. We averaged 25 km per day, 20 shortest, 39 longest (at the end) by choice. Once you get started, it becomes easier and, you meet people as you go. Stay strong, walk your Camino and enjoy.
Yeah by the end 20 km before lunch no problem!!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.