• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances, End of May vs September?

Pilsprog

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, my partner and I are planning to do Camino Frances in 2015. We wanted to start end of May. I've heard it gets very busy in the summer. One book suggested Sept. for more stable weather and less crowded albergues. Any advice appreciated.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilsprog said:
We wanted to start end of May. I've heard it gets very busy in the summer. One book suggested Sept. for more stable weather and less crowded albergues.
There is no standard answer to weather conditions during spring or autumn. :x Having walked various times from Roncesvalles to Santiago during both spring (May-June) and autumn times (September-October) we have met every type of weather along the way. It's many days of walking and Galicia, at the end, is supposed to be the rainiest region in Spain. Anytime! :cry:
As far as pilgrim numbers are concerned, we noticed them to happen in "waves". :lol: Avoiding the classical stops, and letting the "waves" go ahead, have been good tactics. :wink: The Camino Francés is well-serviced with albergues for every taste and pocket, so that we never had a problem to find a bed. Except in late October, when a few albergues close for the winter. :mrgreen:

Hi! Fraluchi's advice is good.

I think how busy the Camino is at different times of year may depend on which part you are walking to some extent. The figures for arrivals in Santiago show a peak in the summer months, but many of them will be Spanish people on holiday with limited time who start relatively close to Santiago. Those intending to walk from SJPP or Roncesvalles may wait until after the summer to avoid the heat, so it doesn't necessarily follow that the earlier stages are also busiest in summertime. Speaking to the bar tender in a bar/hostal just beyond Pamplona last year she said September was their busiest month.

If you can allow a bit of flexibility to use hostals as well as albergues it will make life easier.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are planning to start from SJPP, this chart will give you a general idea of when the waves come through (assuming the trends continue for the next few years). If you start at the end of May you can expect large crowds and hot weather.

If you start late in September the weather will be milder and the crowds smaller. However, if last fall was any indication of how things are trending, it seems like people are starting later (early October instead of mid-September) so the crowds may still be there.

Attachments

• SJPP Statistics.JPG
    SJPP Statistics.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 444
Hi Nancy!

What is that chart showing? (My French is terrible.) And what is the source?

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A late May departure would mean you'd be walking in to Santiago in July, which is likely to be busy. A September departure means an October arrival, when things are likely to be quieter. I would prefer the latter, but you may not, and its your camino.

tyrrek said:
What is that chart showing? (My French is terrible.) And what is the source?
Oh gosh, sorry! A little explanation would help, eh?

This chart is from the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP. It shows the number of pilgrims who started from SJPP or received a sello (stamp) when passing through in 2011. The left axis shows the number of people and the right axis shows the weeks of the year, 1-52. You can easily see the busiest weeks, meaning those with the highest numbers of people starting in SJPP.
Nancy

I left SJPP at the end of May in 2008, and arrived in Santiago at the beginning of July. Maybe I was lucky, and we missed the 'waves' of people, but we never had any problems getting a bed. (The only day the crowds nearly drove me insane was the day leaving from Sarria for Portomarin, but I guess I wasn't mentally prepared for it, plus it was on a weekend which possibly made it busier.) I quite liked walking at this time- there were still wildflowers and green crops around, though they were starting to die off/go brown.
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pilsprog said:
Hi, my partner and I are planning to do Camino Frances in 2015. We wanted to start end of May. I've heard it gets very busy in the summer. One book suggested Sept. for more stable weather and less crowded albergues. Any advice appreciated.
The crowds seem to go in waves and it would be almost impossible to pick a time based on when you think it would be less crowded.

The weather is also unpredictable. What may be the best month one year may not be the next. It's the luck of the draw.

Go when it's right for you. Walk at your own pace and don't fall for the idea that you have to beat everyone out the door in order to arrive early and score a bed. Amongst lots of other things, a pilgrimage is about letting go. Have faith that things will work out and give yourself over to the experience.

Anyway, if everyone went by the book's recommendation to go in September then the next edition would have to suggest another time because September would then be too crowded!

Thanks Nancy for the graph. If I am reading it right I should (go on previous years ) fall between the two main waves. I will be leaving SJPP on May 17 and hopefully make SDC around July 22. When are schools out in Spain and are they a good indicator of when it will be busy?

bien camino

Alan

The weather is similar at both times. The number of pilgrims is similar, but the last 100 km will be quite different. With a May start, you will see large crowds at the end; with the September start, the crowds will be growing smaller at the end.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
These are all very useful considerations. Many thanks. Since we live in the high desert in New Mexico we are used to summer heat (in the 30s celsius) mid-day) and altitude. We live at around 1,650 m. When biking or hiking in the summer we start very early.
Any thoughts on whether this will give us any advantage? Or any other advice on protecting from the heat, other than hats, sunscreen and shade, where possible?

Hello,

Are you biking or hiking ? If you are biking you can carry a light weight sleeping bag, however if hiking a silk liner was sufficient for me April / May & June 2013 plus the odd Albergue blanket. But I appreciate there are some cold souls out there.

Have fun.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.