• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances- Is it necessary to book ahead?

JennieO

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017
hi,
I'm going to begin the Camino on August 31 and based on what I've read am feeling anxious that accommodations will be challenging to get without making reservations ahead. I wanted a relaxed walk with spontaneity to be able to stop where i feel like each day. Can anyone share recent experiences with vacancy? Many thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't comment on current conditions on the French way but I'll give you my ready-reckoner as a discussion starter:

Book your first night now; book your second night now if you are walking from SJPP.
If you are walking for 2 weeks or less and finishing in Santiago, book Santiago and the night before it now.

Once you arrive at your start point, look at the numbers of people and what time of day the albergues are getting full, chat to the hospitalero for advice, and think about whether you need to be booking one day ahead. If it seems really really busy, think about booking two days ahead, but I tend to resist this as I like my freedom, however I will do it if I need to.

Look ahead to identify hot spots where two caminos or alternative routes merge, book in that village as soon as you know when you will be there. Or you can walk a very short stage so you arrive early.

If you want to walk long days or you are on a tight schedule, you will need to be more amenable to booking than short stage pilgrims.

Always ask advice from hospitaleros. They all know each other and they are massively helpful.

Hi,

I walked from SJPP to Finisterra in May 2017 and never once booked a room and I never had a problem finding a bed. And the Camino was crowded. I was completely spontaneous and I never knew exactly where I would spend the next night. And some of my days were 50+ kms, meaning I arrived late in the afternoon on those days.

Good luck! The Universe will help you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi,
I'm going to begin the Camino on August 31 and based on what I've read am feeling anxious that accommodations will be challenging to get without making reservations ahead. I wanted a relaxed walk with spontaneity to be able to stop where i feel like each day. Can anyone share recent experiences with vacancy? Many thanks!
I just walked a week, last week, before and after Burgos. Absolutely NO problem with accommodation and never booked. (My intuitive experience is September slightly busier than August.)
I don't think any place I stayed filled completely.
I can't really comment on other people's experience of bed problems, except to say I've never shared it. In 10 Caminos, I've booked only ever, I think, first and last nights, and not always. The exception has been to look for a hotel for a very occasional break day, when I usually use booking.com
I have stayed 95% of time in albergues, municipal more than private. I have only ever gone to an albergue once and found it fully booked, in Pedrouzo, May of last year. But there was a virtually empty one physically next door (>40 beds available). I think this reflected extensive advertising along the etapa for the full one - it was still nearly empty when I arrived but had taken lots of bookings.

I can't comment on current conditions on the French way but I'll give you my ready-reckoner as a discussion starter:

Book your first night now; book your second night now if you are walking from SJPP.
If you are walking for 2 weeks or less and finishing in Santiago, book Santiago and the night before it now.

Once you arrive at your start point, look at the numbers of people and what time of day the albergues are getting full, chat to the hospitalero for advice, and think about whether you need to be booking one day ahead. If it seems really really busy, think about booking two days ahead, but I tend to resist this as I like my freedom, however I will do it if I need to.

Look ahead to identify hot spots where two caminos or alternative routes merge, book in that village as soon as you know when you will be there. Or you can walk a very short stage so you arrive early.

If you want to walk long days or you are on a tight schedule, you will need to be more amenable to booking than short stage pilgrims.

Always ask advice from hospitaleros. They all know each other and they are massively helpful.
Hi

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just came back from CF and no need to make reservations until Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia. Also ask people if there is Festival on the next village which you may need to book ahead as this is what happened when I got to Finisterre and Muxia.

Buen Camino !

Maria

I'm going to begin the Camino on August 31
By September the huge crowds of August will have dissipated, so you can walk with the expectation of finding a bed. The later in the day you walk, however, the more likely that albergues will be filled. Most larger towns and cities have multiple places of accommodation, so even if your first choice is full, there will be alternatives. Booking ahead in September is mostly about not having to roam town looking for a bed!

I just came back from CF and no need to make reservations until Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia. Also ask people if there is Festival on the next village which you may need to book ahead as this is what happened when I got to Finisterre and Muxia.

Buen Camino !

Maria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi! I havent gone yet! I start from SJPDP on August 31. I'll let you know!
Cheers,
Jennie

Hi! I havent gone yet! I start from SJPDP on August 31. I'll let you know!
Cheers,
Jennie
Sorry Jennie got the names mixed up. Note to self: Don't visit the forum while cooking dinner. I've deleted my post.
Yay August 31 is sooo close. Have a very buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Maria
Welcome home. Can I ask if you stayed in albergues or got private rooms in hotels, hostals, etc.?
Thanks
Heda
I mostly stayed in municipal albergues and sometimes private albergues, but I saw they always have beds left, even in Sarria, the streets are very quiet !

Oh, thanks for replying to my very muddled post. I too stayed mostly in municipals. I liked them.
I asked that question because there were a few times earlier this year when I wanted to get a private room and had trouble finding one because they were all full but, like you, I rarely had trouble finding a bed in an albergue though have to add that most days I stopped reasonably early.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back