• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances March 31

ValsaceK

Time of past OR future Camino
plan March 30 (2017)
Hello! Thank you to all who have asked questions and answered on this forum. I will start my first Camino solo at the end of March. I started reading the forum in December 2016 booked my flight in January of 2017 and started planning, packing, and training. I truly enjoy the forum. HERE is MY QUESTION. I land in Paris from the US on March 29th in the morning. I plan to take a train or plane to Bayonne and have booked a room there for 3/29. Then 3/30 go to SJPdP and have booked a room there also planning to start Camino on March 31. Should I skip the night in Bayonne on 3/29 and go straight to SJPdP to start my Camino on 3/30? It would give me an extra day on the Camino! I was worried about weather and Napoleon route being open? I have no bookings after SJPdP....so exciting....any thoughts or advise welcomed!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Napolean opens on 1 April, weather permitting. You might need to enjoy an extra day in SJPdP.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
SJPDP is a lovely little town. Having a day there is no hardship. It also gives you the possibility of walking the Napoleon, something you could not do on 30 March. It might still be closed on 1 April, but at least there is a possibility of it being open.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the confirmation, that closure was my concern! Ok I arrive from US to start my Camino March 29. My choices are take the Valcarlos route or wait a few days for Napoleon?! I have 35 days for my Camino arriving in Bayonne on the 29th of March returning home from Madrid on 4th of May. I just wanted to have as much time as possible with some rest days! It will work out perfect either way! Getting close!

Last edited:
Thanks, that closure was my concern! So if you start your Camino in March you must take the Valcarlos route. I have 35 days for my Camino leaving from Madrid on May 4th. I just wanted to have as much time as possible with some rest days!
I think you will be glad you take the time to adjust, not sure where you live but I flew from western Montana to Paris, then transferred to Orly & flew to Biarritz, caught a shuttle to SJPDP. I can hardly remember arriving & getting a bed. I was fried. Woke up & walked to Roncevalles. Much too fast! Give yourself a break! :)
Buen Camino

Every time I fly to Europe, I feel like a wet dish rag upon arrival. It takes about 3 days to adjust. We are doing the same trip from Paris CDG (Sister and niece coming from Missoula.) Spending night in Bayonne, visiting the chocolate shops, then on to SJPP the next afternoon. I want to enjoy that picturesque town and get my head clear. It's part of the journey.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Every time I fly to Europe, I feel like a wet dish rag upon arrival. It takes about 3 days to adjust. We are doing the same trip from Paris CDG (Sister and niece coming from Missoula.) Spending night in Bayonne, visiting the chocolate shops, then on to SJPP the next afternoon. I want to enjoy that picturesque town and get my head clear. It's part of the journey.
If you and your family are interested we have a group that gets together that have walked. PM me if you are interested after you get back, or sooner if you want. We are in Missoula.

Thanks! You are absolutely right I plan to enjoy it all...I'm now very excited for Bayonne...I love chocolate!

Thanks! You are absolutely right I plan to enjoy it all...I'm now very excited for Bayonne...I love chocolate!
Hello VaksaceK. My daughter and I live in Missoula and we are walking the El Camino April 20 thru June 20. Would love to talk with you but do not know how to PM.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! Thank you to all who have asked questions and answered on this forum. I will start my first Camino solo at the end of March. I started reading the forum in December 2016 booked my flight in January of 2017 and started planning, packing, and training. I truly enjoy the forum. HERE is MY QUESTION. I land in Paris from the US on March 29th in the morning. I plan to take a train or plane to Bayonne and have booked a room there for 3/29. Then 3/30 go to SJPdP and have booked a room there also planning to start Camino on March 31. Should I skip the night in Bayonne on 3/29 and go straight to SJPdP to start my Camino on 3/30? It would give me an extra day on the Camino! I was worried about weather and Napoleon route being open? I have no bookings after SJPdP....so exciting....any thoughts or advise welcomed!

Valsace:

If you have not made connections reservations from Paris to Bayonne, Easyjet has a 3:00 pm flight from CDG to Biarritz (about 50 euro's) or you can take one of several daily trains.

I would continue on to SJPdP. That will give you the option of starting the next day and walking to Roncesvalles, walking to Valcarlos or spending another day in San Jean and starting the next day.

I will be about 12 days behind you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hello VaksaceK. My daughter and I live in Missoula and we are walking the El Camino April 20 thru June 20. Would love to talk with you but do not know how to PM.

Lwisz:

Go to your tool bar on top and click on your inbox. Then choose conversations.

Joe

Go to your tool bar on top and click on your inbox. Then choose conversations.
Alternatively, click on the name of the person you want to send the PM to. Then click the "Information" tab and under "Interact" you will see "start a conversation".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Valsace:

If you have not made connections reservations from Paris to Bayonne, Easyjet has a 3:00 pm flight from CDG to Biarritz (about 50 euro's) or you can take one of several daily trains.

I would continue on to SJPdP. That will give you the option of starting the next day and walking to Roncesvalles, walking to Valcarlos or spending another day in San Jean and starting the next day.

I will be about 12 days behind you.

Ultreya,
Joe
Thanks Joe, So you would skip Bayonne? If I fly to Biarritz is there a train on to SJPdP that afternoon? I was wanting to walk the Napoleon but maybe Valcarlos a better option this time of year...so many choices. Maybe if you walk really fast I'll see you along the way! ;-)
Buen Camino

Thanks Joe, So you would skip Bayonne? If I fly to Biarritz is there a train on to SJPdP that afternoon? I was wanting to walk the Napoleon but maybe Valcarlos a better option this time of year...so many choices. Maybe if you walk really fast I'll see you along the way! ;-)
Buen Camino

ValsaceK:

Yes.

You can take a bus or cab to Bayonne train station from Biarritz airport. A short distance. There is a thread on this subject.

There is also the option of taking a cab Expressburricot from Biarritz to SJPdP, Taxi sharing thread.

These threads can be found in the category Traveling to and from the Camino.

If you have problems, please feel free to PM me.

I walk pretty fast but I do not think I can make up 12 days ;-).

Ultreya,
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ValsaceK:

Yes.

You can take a bus or cab to Bayonne train station from Biarritz airport. A short distance. There is a thread on this subject.

There is also the option of taking a cab Expressburricot from Biarritz to SJPdP, Taxi sharing thread.

These threads can be found in the category Traveling to and from the Camino.

If you have problems, please feel free to PM me.

I walk pretty fast but I do not think I can make up 12 days ;-).

Ultreya,
Joe
I'll will check and book the flight to Biarritz from Paris and figure out a cab to SJPdP once there! Thanks!

I was worried about weather and Napoleon route being open
I would not be waiting for the Napoleon to open. If it is not open when you get to SJPDP, walk the other route and spend the extra days on the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back