• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Camino Frances, Napolean Route: Weather-Related Concerns

IdaL

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
We are starting our Camino 5/15/23 and weather permitting, trekking the Napolean route. Have been training for about a year, so hopefully fit. Understanding that the weather is highly variable, planning on bringing a goretex shell, light liner and midweight down puffer. My question is, is this overkill?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It may occur that the RN is closed for any reason wheatherwise. If so, do not try to walk, use the road via Valcarlos. It is a alpine region with almost unpredictable changes in wheater even in mid summer.

In July 2019 it was not recommended to walk the RN due to forecasted strong winds and rain. Most pilgrim walked via Valcarlos.

t shirt, fleece and a shell I take for september. Often it is jacket off... jacket on.... depending if sun pops out

hopefuly you will be ok without puffy but thats up to you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm, hadn't thought of closing due to wind and rain, just snow and cold. I see Valcarlos route has heat wave right now, what about the Napolean?

Watch the weather a few days before you go. Maybe add the location to your weather app.

Hmm, hadn't thought of closing due to wind and rain, just snow and cold. I see Valcarlos route has heat wave right now, what about the Napolean?
They did not close it. They reminded the pilgrims in the office that they recommend the Valcarlos.
It was stormy, the clouds dashing over the Pyrenees. Walked through them half the way. But as a north-german guy I was well prepared. The closer the spanish border, the better got the weather!

Some of the pilgrims did walk (and so did I) the RN just to find several fellow pilgrim totally exhausted on the ascends and in the shelters. Later that day, all arrived well in Roncesvalles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I started last year on May 14th. I planned my gear to cover temperatures from "around freezing point" to very hot and that was quite OK. It can be cold on other places as well, not just Route Napoleon.
While it was not often i wore all my gear, when i had to i was happy i had it ;-)

Understanding that the weather is highly variable, planning on bringing a goretex shell, light liner and midweight down puffer. My question is, is this overkill?
I don't think so. On the steep walk up to Orisson, you would probably overheat quickly with a down puffer on. However, beyond Orisson it can be very cold with a biting wind, so you might want it, as well as gloves (or wool socks to use instead) and a warm head covering.

If the weather is heavily overcast, you will not see the lovely views from the Napoleon route, so the Valcarlos route would make sense.

Don't forget about HAIL!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In heights at 1000 meters: expect everything

Most read last week in this forum