• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather concerns 6/20-6/22

iloveagoodadventure

Travel Enthusiast | World Explore
Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
I am starting out on June 20 from SJPP and am concerned about the weather. Rain and lightening…hike through it or what? I’m on a timeline, but want to be safe. Also, I heard I need gloves too for the high passes,

Thoughts?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would wait until the day to make a decision on which route to walk. I see no point in choosing the Napoleon route in bad weather - you won't see any of the views. I agree that "high passes" is not exactly indicative of the route, but it can get windy and chilly, so I would at least have some spare socks ready. (I've only walked in in October, and gloves were important!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Watch the skies. Seek shelter during a lightning storm, they don't last very long. As others have said, walking the Napolean during bad weather is both foolish and a waste of time since you won't get the views anyway. Other than that, have good rain gear and a change of socks for the times you get wet.

Why would you need gloves to walk "the high passes" in June? The Route Napoleon only reaches 1,430 metres. The temperature is likely to be quite warm and there is no scrambling over rock - only straightforward walking.
I just ran into two pilgrims in London, who just finished. They advised gloves, however now that I’m thinking about it (jet lagged of course) they began in May.

I just ran into two pilgrims in London, who just finished. They advised gloves, however now that I’m thinking about it (jet lagged of course) they began in May.
You can expect the temperature at the highest point to be about 7C less than in SJPDP (on average there is a drop in temperature of about 0.6C for every 100m ascent). The forecast high for SJPDP that day is 25C so it should be about 18C at the summit. Unlikely to get chilly enough earlier in the day to need gloves on the route especially as walking will generate a lot of body heat.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started in May last year and I had those really tiny stretchable gloves with me. That said - i ALWAYS have those with me since they are just that (tiny but stretchable) and take no space and\or weight at all. And - I didnt get to use them until I reached Galicia, not on Napoleon
That said - it matters not who walked when, you know your hands better than anyone - if you feel like taking gloves with you then do so and at the very worst - you will never get to use them (but will have a piece of mind)
Now... a lot of threads here with folks stressing about the weather. NOTHING you can do about it - NADA, ZILCH, ZIP! So dont stress
Choices are - (as suggested above) wait until 'the day off' and make your assessment then - something foes not look\feel right then go Valcarlos or
if you REALLY REALLY worried and feel uneasy - look into public transportation to the next waypoint and go from there.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Why would you need gloves to walk "the high passes" in June? The Route Napoleon only reaches 1,430 metres. The temperature is likely to be quite warm and there is no scrambling over rock - only straightforward walking.
Started twice mid May in SJPDP. Always carry a pair of extremely light (and cheap) gloves. They come in at 22g for the pair. Both times i was happy to have them on multiple occasions, usually chill mornings after a short night. Not that i would have not survived without them, but the warm hands lifted my mood considerably.

I agree that they might be one of my luxury items, but i can find enough reason to add that weight to my pack.

Hola @iloveagoodadventure,
There is some really good advice in the above posts. The best one - wait and see. The pilgrim office in St Jean will have up to date weather reports. Even though its only 1430 metres to the top of the Napoleon Track the weather can change very quickly (it can snow on any day of the year). If you feel the cold then yes take a pair of gloves (oh and the recommendation about quickly accessible spare socks was more good advice).
If the weather is actually or forecast as unsuitable don't feel to down - the walk via Valcarlos is just as interesting. Its an easy way to start your Camino - with a short day. But if you do decide to push on you still have a 700 metre (2000 ft ) climb before the down hill into Roncesvalles. I have a saying - take your time to get " camino fit" - let the Camino grow on you. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My family will start on 6/20 too. We have booked Borda to stay. Hopefully the weather is not so bad, then we still can go high route.

Personally, I don't walk when there are lightning storms. Certainly not in the mountains, or in high flat areas like the meseta, and especially not when there's long stretches without possibilities to stop early or seek shelter.

Most other pilgrims seem to just walk through them and hope for the best. It's unlikely to be struck by a lightning, but up in the mountains and in areas where you're the highest point around, there is a higher risk. What one does with that knowledge is personal decision.

I'm likely to die from a heart attack out of sheer panic 🤣 so I avoid such weather.

In case of a short summer storm, I seek shelter and wait (always good to have a look at the sky from time to time, then stop somewhere in a bar or a church before it starts). Sometimes I cut a day short (summer storms usually don't start before midday). When walking in the alps, where storms in the afternoon are common, my goal is always to have arrived before noon. Same elsewhere when storms are in the forecast.

Yes most summer storms are short, but that's not always the case. Last year on my walk through France, there were several days with storms that just didn't want to stop and went on and on. Once I had to knock on a farm's door to ask for shelter in the afternoon, because I couldn't continue for the last 10km to my campsite, and the storm only stopped in the morning (it had not even been in the forecast!). The next day a lady in a shop down the road showed me pictures she took in front of her shop after a recent storm. The ground was covered about ankle deep in hail the size of pigeon eggs...

I wouldn't want to be stuck up on the Napoleon route in really bad weather, certainly not a nasty storm with hail, strong winds and all. It is not at very high altitude, that's true, but there's not much protection from the weather there.

The Valcarlos route is beautiful, too, and has a good municipal albergue at the half way point that is likely to be quite empty at this time of the year, and where you can stop in case of the weather getting bad.

With a stop in Orisson/Borda though, it's likely that you'll arrive there (as well as in Roncesvalles the next day) before the bad weather starts.

As the others said, definitely ask for advice in the pilgrim's office. The mountain weather can change quickly. Maybe the weather forecast changes and you'll have wonderful weather, it's all possible.

No need to worry too much, just be flexible with your plans and adapt to the advice given by the pilgrim's office, as well as your gut feeling.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
if needed for any reason just wear a pair of your socks on your hands until the weather warms up. I’ve done it and it worked out perfectly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am starting out on June 20 from SJPP and am concerned about the weather. Rain and lightening…hike through it or what? I’m on a timeline, but want to be safe. Also, I heard I need gloves too for the high passes,

Thoughts?
When I left SJPDP last Saturday, the weather forecast expected rain/thunderstorms, but it was sunny and warm. It will be a game day decision which route to take.

Unless you’re prone to being cold, gloves are definitely not necessary on the Camino in late June. The lowest it’s been all week was 55 F degrees, and once I started walking barely felt it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Thoughts?
I read a lot about folks stressing :: understandable … especially if your first time. If you have enough money to take a cab (I did this in March a few days when the weather was absolutely horrible) just know they’re readily available from town to town. The most I ever paid was 35 euro. For me it was much more convenient than the bus and busses were not always available at the times I needed.

Thoughts?
The only country in the world that uses mm/dd/yyyy is the USA, please be aware that a date written in that form where the day is below 12 will be misinterpreted everywhere. Please use dd/mom/yyyy. Pedantic, yes but understand the confusion you will create for yourself.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I read a lot about folks stressing :: understandable … especially if your first time. If you have enough money to take a cab (I did this in March a few days when the weather was absolutely horrible) just know they’re readily available from town to town. The most I ever paid was 35 euro. For me it was much more convenient than the bus and busses were not always available at the times I needed.
It’s smart not to walk thru thunderstorms but we’ve been stuck in a couple of them and made it through okay.

I was in a wind farm on Camino recently when a thunderstorm threatened. I felt pretty safe, thinking that the towering metal structures were surely a more attractive target. But I also remember thinking wouldn't it be great if they could actually funnel all the electricity of a lightning strike into the grid.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back