• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances, Napolean Route: Weather-Related Concerns

IdaL

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
We are starting our Camino 5/15/23 and weather permitting, trekking the Napolean route. Have been training for about a year, so hopefully fit. Understanding that the weather is highly variable, planning on bringing a goretex shell, light liner and midweight down puffer. My question is, is this overkill?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It may occur that the RN is closed for any reason wheatherwise. If so, do not try to walk, use the road via Valcarlos. It is a alpine region with almost unpredictable changes in wheater even in mid summer.

In July 2019 it was not recommended to walk the RN due to forecasted strong winds and rain. Most pilgrim walked via Valcarlos.

t shirt, fleece and a shell I take for september. Often it is jacket off... jacket on.... depending if sun pops out

hopefuly you will be ok without puffy but thats up to you :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm, hadn't thought of closing due to wind and rain, just snow and cold. I see Valcarlos route has heat wave right now, what about the Napolean?

Hmm, hadn't thought of closing due to wind and rain, just snow and cold. I see Valcarlos route has heat wave right now, what about the Napolean?
They did not close it. They reminded the pilgrims in the office that they recommend the Valcarlos.
It was stormy, the clouds dashing over the Pyrenees. Walked through them half the way. But as a north-german guy I was well prepared. The closer the spanish border, the better got the weather!

Some of the pilgrims did walk (and so did I) the RN just to find several fellow pilgrim totally exhausted on the ascends and in the shelters. Later that day, all arrived well in Roncesvalles.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started last year on May 14th. I planned my gear to cover temperatures from "around freezing point" to very hot and that was quite OK. It can be cold on other places as well, not just Route Napoleon.
While it was not often i wore all my gear, when i had to i was happy i had it ;-)

Understanding that the weather is highly variable, planning on bringing a goretex shell, light liner and midweight down puffer. My question is, is this overkill?
I don't think so. On the steep walk up to Orisson, you would probably overheat quickly with a down puffer on. However, beyond Orisson it can be very cold with a biting wind, so you might want it, as well as gloves (or wool socks to use instead) and a warm head covering.

If the weather is heavily overcast, you will not see the lovely views from the Napoleon route, so the Valcarlos route would make sense.

Don't forget about HAIL!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In heights at 1000 meters: expect everything

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back