• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances - September 2012

tracymac

First time Camino Pilgrim . Solo .... Yikes ! Overwhelmed with planning and thoughts. Worried about going it solo. Have looked into Mac Adventures and Spanish Steps. Because of the pre booked accommodations and self guided tours etc... Wondering if I would miss out on the true Camino experiences if I go that route... needless to say the expense of it all. Happy I have time to plan away. Any suggestions ? What is the best way to get to St Jean Pied de Port - Traveling out of Boston or New York. Fly to Paris - take the TGV ?... Madrid , Barcelona ??? XO

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi tracymac,
Welcome to the forum. A great time of planning is ahead of you. Most of the questions you asked regarding transport will be found on previous posts and I'm sure others who have travelled from the US will help with specific advice.
Regarding walking a "planned" itinerary is fine if that is what you prefer. Regarding "real" Camino experience, I think everyone's walk is "real" to them. I met and walked sections with several people on group tours, they seemed to enjoy their experience OK.
That said, I don't think you should be overly concerned about walking solo, most people (thousands of them) walk solo, women & men, young & old. I think you'll find once you start you won't feel alone for very long.
Enjoy your planning.
Buen Camino.
Col

Hi Tracymac
It sounds as though we're going through the same stuff! I am also planning to walk the Camino solo and as a novice in September 2012. Good luck with your prep. We'll be fine!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello and welcome to the forum.

As a sexagenarian, I took 41 days to complete the Camino, starting in SJPDP during Sept and Oct last year. You have picked a wonderful time of year, not too hot or cold, not as crowded, and for me, except for a twenty-minute drizzle, rainless, perhaps because of the drought.

I decided to fly from Miami to Barcelona and then spend four days there adjusting to the time difference and getting over the jet lad. I loved Barcelona. From a central hotel such as the Nisia B&B, you walk to all the main attraction, getting your legs used to hiking. From Barcelona, take the train to Pamplona and then the bus to Roncesvalles or SJPDP. I departed from Madrid, spending three days there to explore prior to taking off. Of the two cities, I preferred Barcelona.

Once on the Camino, you are never really alone. You can hike alone during the day or couple up with others. You can make friends and agree to meet in the evening at a selected albergue or refugio, and then walk at your own pace.

If you use a group to guarantee a reservation, will you be able to adjust the schedule to accommodate time off for injury or exploration or will you have a fixed schedule? In the forty-one I was on the Camino, I could not find a bed in only one town; there was a festival going on and one of the albergues in that town was shut for fumigation. That day we walked a little further than planned, to the next town. I also noticed pilgrims calling ahead to reserve a bed, especially those that taxied their luggage ahead.

You have many options. I suggest make your plan allowing for spontaneity and enjoy the moments on the Camino as they come.

I kept an online journal of my preparations and Camino. If interest, visit http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11630

Buen Camino.

Because of the pre booked accommodations and self guided tours etc... Wondering if I would miss out on the true Camino experiences if I go that route... needless to say the expense of it all.
The Camino is not so complex that you need someone to make arrangements for you, even if you want to stay in private accommodations where you could make reservations. September is not so busy that you will need reservations anywhere, but if you need peace of mind, you can have the hospitalero or concierge call for you the evening before. You can book a baggage transport each evening, also with the hospitalero. Some albergues will not accept pilgrims using a baggage service, but the rule is quite flexible, and in September, most of them will be eager for your money and ignore the rule. Hospitaleros or the baggage service will let you know if you are sending your backpack to a place that will not accept you, so you will need a little bit of flexibility. All private accommodations that you would be booking in advance with some travel agent will accept your bags.

Have fun!

Hi tracymac,
My two cents worth: it really isn't necessary to worry so much about it all. The downside of this wonderful forum is that it can make it all seem overwhelming and make it seem like we have to do this and this and that to make it all happen. We don't and that's not the intention of the people who are offering advice.
I first walked as a single woman (older) in 2003 having heard very little about the camino and knowing nothing of what I was about to do. But common sense made me ensure that I had good walking shoes and clothes (including a sun hat) and I was clear that I didn't want to carry any more than necessary so preparation pretty much took care of itself. I thought I wanted to walk alone and ponder my life and future etc. but found that there were so many wonderful, enjoyable people that I had to make a point of being alone if I wanted to. Many other walkers keep an eye on lone walkers to make sure they're doing okay.
I live on the west coast of Canada and have tried a variety of ways of getting to SJPP (in 4 different years). The easiest for me is to fly overnight, non-stop to London and change planes to Biarritz the same day I arrive in London. Arrival in Biarritz is late - about 10:30 or so pm. I stay 2 nights in Biarritz to get "a-time-a tized" a bit (9 hour time difference for me). That day I walk up to the train station and check out train times to SJPP and buy my ticket so I'm ready for the next morning. I usually get the train around 8:00 the following day (it's about 15 minutes to Bayonne where you switch trains and then a short ride 1-1 1/2 hours to SJPP. Buy a few supplies, have lunch if you want, head up the mountain to Orisson (something under 10km straight up it feels like - but make a reservation ahead of time if you do this).
AS long as you're flexible and don't mind a bit of uncertainty you don't need to do nearly as much planning as we all talk about. It can be helpful for sure in certain areas but it's really not necessary to obsess about the planning. Use common sense about all that prep and then just go and experience it as it comes. Enjoy - and muy buen camino!
Cecelia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Everyone,

I love the info listed above, but I need some advice.

I'm landing in Biarritz on the 1st. of September at 0935, should I stay in SJPDP for the first night or should I go to Orisson for the first night? (No time change adjustment required)

Hello Everyone,

I'm landing in Biarritz on the 1st. of September at 0935, should I stay in SJPDP for the first night or should I go to Orisson for the first night? (No time change adjustment required)

Depending on your time of arrival you could get the train up to SJPP, ( I believe the last one leaves early evening), or stay in Bayonne....there is lots of reasonable accommodation and it is a nice small city to wander around in. I am arriving from Canada on Sept 5th and planning to stay in Bayonne for two nights to get over the jet lag, then up to SJPP. Did the same in 2009 and it worked out great. Sounds like you don't have a jet lag issue, so it will be the train schedule that determines your decision.
Have a good one!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Lynne,

My friend and I arrived in Biarritz last year on the same date. We got to SJPP around 2pm which was early enough to register, checkin to a pension, have a lovely al fresco dinner and walk the town . We figured we"ll need to rest up for the grueling walk up the Pyrenees Range the following day. We're glad we did. Orisson is not very far from SJPP but its quite a hike. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs going uphill. The views at Orisson is magnificent and they have a nice bar.

Buen Camino

Hello Everyone,

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.