• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino frances vs camino norte

505badgolfer

Time of past OR future Camino
frances 2021
I've walked the entire camino frances twice and have also reviewed previous blog postings about the difference between the frances and the norte routes. I'm considering walking the camino norte this September. For those who have walked both routes, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult and giving the camino frances a rating of 5, what difficulty rating would you give to the camino norte for the entire route from Irun to Santiago? Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is good to know as I am also walking the Norte Camino in September and also have completed two CFs (starting one in Rouncesville and one in Saint Jean). Might see you.

6-7 was an immediate flash to mind. Did same month of October, rains are more steady, dogs are loose and bark authority, quiet paths and roads, not sure luggage transport is viable.

I would rate it a solid 7 for sure. It has alot more up and downs but the payoff of walking along the cliffs by the ocean make it all worthwhile. The Norte is beautiful and a very different experience than the CF in many ways. Walk both and you will see.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've walked the entire camino frances twice and have also reviewed previous blog postings about the difference between the frances and the norte routes. I'm considering walking the camino norte this September. For those who have walked both routes, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult and giving the camino frances a rating of 5, what difficulty rating would you give to the camino norte for the entire route from Irun to Santiago? Thanks!
I’d say the first 4 days of the del Norte are an 8. Tough ups and downs and a defo lack of support facilities when compared to the Frances. After that it’s. 6 for me.

After doing the Frances this was a walk I wanted to do and loved it but if you want the busy ness of the French way and lots of camaraderie this is t the one for you.

If you love the sea and scenery and being away from it all you’ll love it.

One day I’ll do it again as I really enjoyed it but I’m back on the French way in 2 weeks as have really missed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back