• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difficulty comparison: Camino del Norte vs. Camino Frances from St. Jean Pied de Port

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A lot of ups-and-downs during the first section, less pilgrims and pilgrim support, competition for albergue beds with non-pilgrims like hikers and surfers, less ability to choose a distance to walk as the villages are not as a frequent, and more that I’m not thinking of at the moment! It’s a great route, but I wouldn’t pick it as my first Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are comparing it with your home state of Colorado, then they are both not as tough. Depends on your fitness.

However as @Vacajoe points out, the logistics on the Norte are more difficult especially during the Spanish holiday season. August would be very difficult on the Norte for accommodation.

Camino Frances from SjPdP is only challenging on elevation on day 1 into Roncesvalles. Norte will keep this level of challenge for a week and then keep going slightly milder. You will need to walk much bigger distances on asfalt/concrete to reach anything on the Norte. While on the Frances you will reach a village with a cafe frequently and are walking on soft sandy gravel roads.

If you choose to go for the Norte then you need to train elevation climbs. If your knees and/or achilleas won't handle that kind of pressure then Norte is not the trail for you. Frances is very pleasant in comparison, but has more of a desert atmosphere.

I put together a high level overview of the more commonly walked trails in my blog:
https://caminopilgrim.travel.blog/2023/03/01/camino-route-options/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just read the Camino del Norte is more difficulty then Camino Frances. why? what is the terrain on Camino del Norte that makes it more difficult the Frances Way leaving from St. Jean Pied de Port? Planning on starting last week in August through end of Sept 2024
I haven’t done the French Way but I can tell you there’s a variety of terrain on the Del Norte, from Bilbao roads, country roads, farmer’s narrow paths, steep and curvy roads, up hills, narrow paths, woody paths near rivers, and if it rains it can get quite treacherous, beautiful paths along the coast, long stretches of nothing but paths, no restaurants, bathrooms and walkers etc

In addition to that mentioned already, I found the terrain to be rockier in places. I recall rocks that jutted upwards that scarcely left room for my whole foot to be flat on the ground. Hiking poles were critical for me to remain upright. There were also some short but steep inclines with rolling pebbles that were quite the challenge for me.
But the views! The water! It was so worth it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is no doubt in my mind, that for a first Camino, I would always recommend the Camino Frances, it is very well-supported and has a fantastic infrastructure. The first day from SJPP is easily one of the hardest days on any Camino route. After that, there is only one significant climb that lasts a few hours.

As others have mentioned the first week of the Norte is very up-and-down, with less infrastructure in terms of stopping for a coffee or as large a selection of Albergues as can be found on the French route. That said about 40% of the people I met when I walked the Norte, were doing their first Camino, and to the best of my knowledge not one of them gave up on the route as they had found it too hard.

I think two things come into play as much as possible plan your route in terms of kilometres walk to per day, the other thing is mindset, if you are determined to adjust your pace you will get there. Do not be discouraged when people tell you it is challenging,

In addition to that mentioned already, I found the terrain to be rockier in places. I recall rocks that jutted upwards that scarcely left room for my whole foot to be flat on the ground. Hiking poles were critical for me to remain upright. There were also some short but steep inclines with rolling pebbles that were quite the challenge for me.
I agree, views were spectacular!
A lot of ups-and-downs during the first section, less pilgrims and pilgrim support, competition for albergue beds with non-pilgrims like hikers and surfers, less ability to choose a distance to walk as the villages are not as a frequent, and more that I’m not thinking of at the moment! It’s a great route, but I wouldn’t pick it as my first Camino
It was my first and found it challenging especially when it rained. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

There is no doubt in my mind, that for a first Camino, I would always recommend the Camino Frances, it is very well-supported and has a fantastic infrastructure. The first day from SJPP is easily one of the hardest days on any Camino route. After that, there is only one significant climb that lasts a few hours.

As others have mentioned the first week of the Norte is very up-and-down, with less infrastructure in terms of stopping for a coffee or as large a selection of Albergues as can be found on the French route. That said about 40% of the people I met when I walked the Norte, were doing their first Camino, and to the best of my knowledge not one of them gave up on the route as they had found it too hard.

I think two things come into play as much as possible plan your route in terms of kilometres walk to per day, the other thing is mindset, if you are determined to adjust your pace you will get there. Do not be discouraged when people tell you it is challenging,
It may be challenging but if you practice long walks in different terrains, you’ll be fine, if you’re in good shape,

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I just read the Camino del Norte is more difficulty then Camino Frances. why? what is the terrain on Camino del Norte that makes it more difficult the Frances Way leaving from St. Jean Pied de Port? Planning on starting last week in August through end of Sept 2024
"More difficult" might be the wrong words to define the differences. More logistically challenging might be more appropriate.

Other than maybe two days the Frances offers lots of choices on length of daily walk. This can be beneficial if you are challenged in some way medically ( blisters, muscle soreness, equipment issues etc.) The Frances is pretty much a rural walk with the exception of a handful of cities. Population wise the Frances has by far the most Pilgrims and you will never be alone.

The Norte offers fewer daily choices as far as daily distance which can make walking more challenging for some. There are more daily up and downs on the front end of the Norte. The Norte is a coastal walk through several Touristy towns which leads to more accommodations competition during vacation periods. There is more road walking but it is on rural roads with very light traffic. The Norte offers lots of Alternatives route options as it intersects with the e-9 at several points. Also several detours down to beaches. It is also a moderately trafficked (Pilgrims) camino but not any way near the Frances.

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I live and trained in Colorado. I have done both caminos. The Norte is obviously along the northern coast where rivers and tributaries enter the ocean. This is where most of the villages lie so suffice it to say you will be climbing and descending a lot! I did find this to be a most beautiful camino and one of my favorites. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I haven’t done the French Way but I can tell you there’s a variety of terrain on the Del Norte, from Bilbao roads, country roads, farmer’s narrow paths, steep and curvy roads, up hills, narrow paths, woody paths near rivers, and if it rains it can get quite treacherous, beautiful paths along the coast, long stretches of nothing but paths, no restaurants, bathrooms and walkers etc
Sounds awesome! 🇳🇿😎

The section from Irun to Bilbao is our favourite! We have done that section multiple times and then varied our trips afterwards. The Norte and Primitivo was our first camino combination and we loved it. Up and down? Yes. Lots of pauses for the wonderful views, yes. Lots of roads- if you look at the alternative trails (there are links on this site) you can avoid lots of the road walking, and you back on coastal trails and small roads. We never had a problem finding bars or coffee shops- this area is not back country with no services. The only long section without towns is on the hospitales section. Other than that there were lots of services.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Started early June. Medium fit, early 60s. Lots of mud, slippery descents, especially the first week. Quite a few tough spots for me. I thought about quitting numerous times but glad I persevered.
I experienced something very similar when I went. I started in Bilbao on September 20, 2023. I’m glad you persevered too because I’m sure you really appreciated the experience

The first day from SJPP is easily one of the hardest days on any Camino route.
As much as I would agree with most of your comments about the CF if you think the comment above is really true you need to get out on some different routes. I can think of quite a few days on other caminos that are significantly harder, inc on the Madrid and Olvidado (and I think on the Invierno!)

As much as I would agree with most of your comments about the CF if you think the comment above is really true you need to get out on some different routes. I can think of quite a few days on other caminos that are significantly harder, inc on the Madrid and Olvidado (and I think on the Invierno!)
As always, it depends on how you plan your days. I don't think there were any days on my Camino de Madrid that were as challenging as SJPdP to Roncesvalles (especially if the latter is at the beginning of a Camino). But not everyone's day from SJPdP extends as far as Roncesvalles, and you may have had longer/harder stages on the Madrid than I picked for myself.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As always, it depends on how you plan your days. I don't think there were any days on my Camino de Madrid that were as challenging as SJPdP to Roncesvalles (especially if the latter is at the beginning of a Camino). But not everyone's day from SJPdP extends as far as Roncesvalles, and you may have had longer/harder stages on the Madrid than I picked for myself.
In the case of CM there is not much choice for the Cercedilla to Segovia section and in my mind it was one of the hardest days of my caminos. I did the CF in 2011 and did not find the first section a strain. However, I am now 12 years older but I still happily walk 40 kms a day.

In the case of CM there is not much choice for the Cercedilla to Segovia section and in my mind it was one of the hardest days of my caminos. I did the CF in 2011 and did not find the first section a strain. However, I am now 12 years older but I still happily walk 40 kms a day.

Why 40kms? For me, the fulfilment of the day is paramount, not the speed. But, as they say, each to their own! 😊

I've met with two Ex-collegues in SdC after finishing my CP, they came on the dame day to SdC via the Norte.

One of them is an active ultra-marathon-runner, he had several problems (muscle pain, massive exhaustion, foot-trouble) and told me, that he never did thought, that a pilgrimage is that problematic for him (first timer).

He may underestimated the more steeper parts.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've met with two Ex-collegues in SdC after finishing my CP, they came on the dame day to SdC via the Norte.

One of them is an active ultra-marathon-runner, he had several problems (muscle pain, massive exhaustion, foot-trouble) and told me, that he never did thought, that a pilgrimage is that problematic for him (first timer).

Or the effects of 1) carrying a backpack and 2) doing it day after day after day.....

I walked a bit beyond Cercedilla to the youth hostels and broke up the walk to Segovia into two days staying at La Granja de San Ildefonso so that day wasn't quite so long for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I chose the Norte for my first Camino in 2018 at age 64. It was definitely a tough first week, but eminently do-able. Never had problems finding food or rooms/albergue. Loved the coastal variants. Appreciated it not being crowded. From Vermont USA. Walk a fair amount. Did not train specifically. Did take it as easy as possible that first week.

Physically both can challenge if bluntly ignore the smallish symptoms. That Norte is more demanding nature wise I disagree. Mentally one is of course more socially inclined than the other. I did Norte as my second Camino in December/January and I truly felt blessed. Experience from Frances helped a lot.

Good luck, Ultreia🙏🏼!
((Picture from this morning at homebase..))

IMG_1856.jpeg

Whoa. I've done a boatload. (but none of the ones you mentioned!). In my experience the first day out of SJPdP is the toughest I've ever experienced walking in Spain (Napoleon). The norte is always up and down, but never relentless. That first day from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (or beyond) is tough.

Edit: The walk from Deba to Marikina on the Norte takes second place.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Or pushed himself too hard at different times because he saw himself as a fit person.

Or pushed himself too hard at different times because he saw himself as a fit person.
Oh, he is fit, that is for sure! He runs marathons just out of fun. But maybe he wasn't prepared for the different stress over several days of constant walking.
As I said on different threads: it's more a question of mindset and willpower to successfully walk your pilgrimage.

Great Camino. Better than the Frances by a long shot. There is more elevation but worth. Just do shorter stages

That is my type of hike!🇳🇿😎🇪🇸

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back