• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Gibraltar to Mozarabe?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Seeing another post that mentioned that my home town's antipodal point is Setenil de las Bodegas (which looks like a nice little place to visit in its own right), I got thinking....I've got on my list to walk from Almeria some day. It's a little too far off the track to count as a detour, but I am wondering if there is a route from Gibraltar to Granada that I haven't heard of - that might go close enough. The Great Malaga Path (GR249) looks like a semi-promising beginning.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Vía Serrana from Gibralter passes 3.5 kilometers west of Setenil de las Bodegas on the stage from Ronda to Olvera. You could duck into Setenil and stay overnight in your antipodal point!

The GR 7 is another possibility. You can pick it up while walking the Vía Serrana, follow it to Niguelas, just south of Granada (using the southern variant), and then use local trails for the final stage into Granada. It also coincides with parts of the Gran Senda de Malaga that you mentioned above.

Topoguide for the Gran Senda de Malaga: http://static.malaga.es/malaga/subidas/archivos/4/6/arc_227464.pdf

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
See Jungleboy's thread Live from the Camino from about two weeks ago. He started in Gibraltar. Via Serrana.

The thread is here.

The Vía Serrana from Gibralter passes 3.5 kilometers west of Setenil de las Bodegas on the stage from Ronda to Olvera. You could duck into Setenil and stay overnight in your antipodal point!

I bypassed Setenil because I was going further that day and the most direct route skips the town, but if I were to do it again I would stay there. It’s the end-of-stage town in the Johnnie Walker guide’s 14-day itinerary. Here’s what the guide says:

Setenil de las Bodegas is a town in the province of Cádiz. The town extends along a narrow river gorge, and is famous for some of its houses being built into the rock walls of the gorge itself, created by enlarging natural caves or overhangs and adding an external wall.

This doesn’t help you get to the Mozárabe, but obviously you could walk the Vía Serrana from Gibraltar to Seville and then keep walking on the VdlP from there if that interests you.

The main alternative route would be via Cádiz, then from there either up to Sevilla, or head to Faro in Portugal.

Gibraltar is a very interesting starting point, because you could sensibly get to three major Camino routes from there, not including the Via Romea possibility.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Via de la Plata is an obvious connection from Gibraltar, but my original plan was to go from Almeria on the Mozarabe (choosing that starting point because I would not want to miss Granada). Wanting to see Setenil made me start thinking about other possibilities and a Gibraltar start seemed a possibility - certainly seems to be possible. I'll savour the thought all through Christmas that I have a new route to plan!

The thread is here.

I bypassed Setenil because I was going further that day and the most direct route skips the town, but if I were to do it again I would stay there. It’s the end-of-stage town in the Johnnie Walker guide’s 14-day itinerary. Here’s what the guide says:

This doesn’t help you get to the Mozárabe, but obviously you could walk the Vía Serrana from Gibraltar to Seville and then keep walking on the VdlP from there if that interests you.
Thanks for linking to that thread. I have just read it in its entirety - so sorry to hear about your family troubles, and at the same time, how special that you could keep walking. What stood out to be particularly is that each day was wonderful AND each day got better than the last. There aren't many routes like that!
Thank you for taking the time to write, even in the midst of your own difficulty. Much appreciated.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back