• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino from Viana do Castelo to Santiago

felipevergaraam

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
Hello to all of you

I am planning to do the Camino Litoral the second week in August. I have 7-8 days max. I am very used to doing a lot of sport, running etc but I also want to enjoy the Camino so I was thinking about the following route after reading very good comments about these places. Could you give me your advice and I'm open to accommodate the places as well as the distance but the days are complicated for me.

I have already visited Santiago several times but I have never done the Camino, would you recommend staying on Sunday night thinking that if I follow the above plan, I would arrive on a Sunday? Just to be sure, if most of the people stay, how difficult is to find a place to stay, etc.

Day 1 Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ancora (24kms)
Day 2 Vila Praia de Ancora to OIA (30km) Vila da Guarda
Day 3 Oia to Baiona (14kms)
Day 4 Baiona to Vigo (28kms)
Day 5 Vigo to Pontevedra (30kms)
Day 6 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (24kms)
Day 7 Caldas de Reis to Padron (18kms)
Day 8 Padron to SdC (24kms)

Your help is tremendously appreciate !

This is group is Amazing!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Vigo to Pontevedra is almost 40 kms if you follow the waymarkers.
Arriving on a Sunday ?
There are lots of tourists Maybe they are gone after a long weekend so the Sunday can be quieter. But you are walking in August and that is the holiday month for anyway the Spanish people so you have to take that in mind

Arriving on a Sunday ?
There are lots of tourists Maybe they are gone after a long weekend so the Sunday can be quieter. But you are walking in August and that is the holiday month for anyway the Spanish people so you have to take that in mind
Hi Camembert

Many thanks for the info.
Could you please share with me the waymakers so I can do a better calculation in that case ? Because the route that I was mentioning it was prepared with googlemaps.

Yes, I know that is summer so it should be hot but what about rain ? It is common to have ?
Thanks again !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Felipe
This website has the distances following waymarkers:

Except for Vigo-Pontevedra (around 38km), the others are not too far from the actual walking distance.

Pontevedra was one of my favourite places on the Portuguese.

If you are a strong walker, you should be fine with your plans. Or, maybe start a bit further ahead to feel less time pressure?

Last edited:
I meant holidaytime in August. So many walkers on the way so you gave to share the lodging facilities with many others.
About the weather, my crystal ball says may rain, may shine.

I walked this stage in 2018. You can scan this QR code to see the track on Wikiloc. There are a couple of stretches on busy road but the vast majority is on beautiful tracks. My recording states 37 km

IMG_4356.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FYI here's what we did in 2022 - leisurely pace and wonderful!
Porto to Santiago de Compostela, 280km Walking stages – Coastal Route-Stingy Nomads

*MA - municipal albergue, **PA - private albergue (Mac)*live in the moment. CAPS=our stops/lodging

Day 1. PORTO- Labruge, 23km (BUS FROM CATHEDRAL TO MATOSINHOS)
6kmFoz do DouroHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
12km MATOSINHOS - BEGINHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
17kmPerafitaHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
21kmLavraPA**, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
24kmLabruge (Novo Rumo-chocolate)*MA*, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 2. Labruge - Praia Estrela, 25km CASA da PRAIA
2,5km VILA CHA – CASA SANDRA**±MA, hotel, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurantPRAIA MAR**, bar
3,5kmMindelo (lots of hotels)Hotel, supermarket, restaurant, bar
6,5kmPraia de ArvoreHotel, ATM, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
10kmVila do Conde (N&M)*Eiffel bridgeMA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
14kmPóvoa de Varzim (M1)**Hotel Torre del Mar Agucadoura Guest houseMA*, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
16kmO Ver-O-MarHotel, shop, restaurant
21kmAguçadoura *ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
25kmPraia da Estela (Orbitur)Camping-cabins, hotel, shop, restaurant
Day 3. Praia Estrela - Castelo do Neiva, 24km
4km APULIA PA-SANTIAGO PRAIA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
8kmFãoPA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
10,5kmEsposende (M 2)**PA*Laranjeira, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
14,5kmMarinhas **MA, hotel, ATM, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

16,8kmMarShop, restaurant, cafe
18kmBelinhoRestaurant, cafe
20kmAntasHotel, restaurant, cafe
24kmCastelo do NeivaMA, hotel, shop, restaurant, bar
Day 4. Castelo do Neiva - Carreço, 19km
4,5kmChaféHotel, ATM, shop, restaurant, cafe
7km ANHAPA-CASA de CAROLINA**±, hotel, supermarket, restaurant, cafe
9kmDarqueHotel, supermarket, restaurant, cafe
11kmViana do Castelo (M3)****PA*, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar RESIDENCIAL LARANJEIRA
16kmAreosaHotel, shop, restaurant, bar
19kmCarreçoPA, hotel, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 5. Carreço, Portugal - A Guarda, Spain, 22km
3kmArmadaHotel, cafe
10km VILA PRAIA d ANCORAPA QUINTA da QUINHAS**±, everything-BEAUTIFUL TOWN!!
15 kmMoledoPA, hotel, shop, restaurant, cafe
18kmCaminha, Portugal (ferry)**MA, PA, hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Caminha - A Pasaxe by ferry, 700 m, 5min.
22kmA Guarda, Spain (M-5)**MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar HOTEL BRUSELAS
Day 6. A Guarda - Baiona, 29km Restaurant PURERO GUARDES in A GUARDA
6,5kmPorteceloBar
12km OIA PA- CALA INN**± Hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
15,5kmVilladesusoPA, hotel, restaurant, cafe
18,5kmPorto Mougás *PA
20kmPedra RubiaHotel, cafe

29km Baiona (M-7)* Hotel Pinzon
SABARIS – HOTEL AVENIDA**
PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar Parador de Baiona hotel
Day 7. Baiona - Vigo, 25km (alternative route along the coast)
4kmA Ramallosa (the split the right route goes inland, the left route follows the coast) *PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
7,5kmA Bouza VellaShop, restaurant, bar
11,5kmSaiánsPA, restaurant, bar
14kmOia HOTEL A RAINAShop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
25km VIGO(M-8)**. HOTEL EXE** Hotel R. OgaliaHostel, hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 8. Vigo - Redondela, 16,3km
7kmChapelaATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
16,3km REDONDELA – PENSION RUA DE MEDIO**± Santiago de Villavela HostelMA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 9. Redondela - Pontevedra, 20km
2,5kmCesantes * (Refuxio de la Jérezana a private albergue)PA, hotel, ATM, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
5 kmSoutoxustePA, restaurant
7,5kmArcade (M-9)PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
8,5kmPontesanpaioPA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
20km PONTEVEDRA- BOOKING STUDIO (M-8)* *Slow City Hostel/MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 10. Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis, 23km***
10,5kmBarro/PortelaMA, restaurant
16kmBriallosMA
21kmTívoPA, supermarket
23km CALDAS DE REIS – BOOKING PENSION AUGAS QUENTES spa town* MA, PA, hotel O’Cruceiro, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 11. Caldas de Reis - Padrón, 20km Restaurant CHEF RIVERA in Padron
5,5 kmO Cruceiro (Carracedo)Cafe, restaurant
10kmValgaMA, hotel, restaurant, bar

12,5kmSan Miguel de ValgaShop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
17kmPontecesuresMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
20km PADRON – HOTEL CHEF RIVERA (laundromat next door)MA, PA Jardin, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 12. Padrón - Santiago de Compostela, 25km
1kmIria FlaviaHotel, bar
6kmA EsclavitudeHotel, restaurant, bar
6,5kmCruces *PA, hotel, restaurant, bar
7,5kmAngueira de SusoHotel, restaurant
8,3kmPicarañaPA, hotel, restaurant
10kmO FaramelloMA, PA, hotel, restaurant, bar
18kmMilladoiro (Albergue Milladoiro*)PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, restaurant, bar
25km SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA AIRBNB Residencia Fornos

***Variante Espiritual (Spiritual Way), optional route Pontevedra to Padrón, 73km

(FRIEND DID THIS AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT!)

Day 10. Pontevedra - Armenteira, 22km
6kmCampañóHotel, restaurant
10kmPoioHotel, restaurant
12kmCombarroHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
21,4kmArmenteiraMA, restaurant
Day 11. Armenteira - Vilanova de Arousa, 23km
6kmBarrantesShop, restaurant, bar
12kmPonte ArnelasPharmacy, restaurant, bar
25kmVilanova de ArousaMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

Day 12. Vilanova de Arousa - Padrón, 28km by boat
28kmPontecesuresMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
31kmPadrón (walking)MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

Stingy Nomads

Hello to all of you

I am planning to do the Camino Litoral the second week in August. I have 7-8 days max. I am very used to doing a lot of sport, running etc but I also want to enjoy the Camino so I was thinking about the following route after reading very good comments about these places. Could you give me your advice and I'm open to accommodate the places as well as the distance but the days are complicated for me.

I have already visited Santiago several times but I have never done the Camino, would you recommend staying on Sunday night thinking that if I follow the above plan, I would arrive on a Sunday? Just to be sure, if most of the people stay, how difficult is to find a place to stay, etc.

Day 1 Viana do Castelo to Vila Praia de Ancora (24kms)
Day 2 Vila Praia de Ancora to OIA (30km) Vila da Guarda
Day 3 Oia to Baiona (14kms)
Day 4 Baiona to Vigo (28kms)
Day 5 Vigo to Pontevedra (30kms)
Day 6 Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (24kms)
Day 7 Caldas de Reis to Padron (18kms)
Day 8 Padron to SdC (24kms)

Your help is tremendously appreciate !

This is group is Amazing!
We arrived in Vigo last Septmeber, had lunch and did a little touring along the waterfront, then took the nearby train to Pontevedra. We don't regret that decision one bit. Even though we have been to Santiago many times, we love staying an extra day (or two or three). We only stayed one extra day this time. It was on a Sunday. We reserved in advance at a hotel. Not a problem. The only time we stayed at an albergue in Santiago was at Seminario Menor, which is massive.

Hello everybody

I have been looking for a different place to stay between Carreco and A Guarda. I will be travelling by bus/train from Porto to Carreco or A Guarda on a Saturday (my flight arrives late on Friday to Porto so I'm forced to stay there), so my idea is to start the Camino on Sunday morning, hopefully from A Guarda but I'm open to start from Carreco if I can't find any options. Do you have any advice on where I can stay? I've looked at all the recommended places but they are all already taken! I will arrive at one of these places around midday and all the albergues/hotels are full, do you know if I can stay in a municipal albergue even if I haven't started the camino yet or is it enough to say I will start the next day? And also, where am I supposed to ask for the credential or proof that I have started the Camino? I'm not sure how it work

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back