• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in July & can't carry luggage

annasusanna

Hey,
on several threads I've read, how busy the camino is in summer - I only have 3 weeks in July though. So how do I picture "busy" - does that mean, that I'll be walking with loads of people, never a moments privacy, always someone near... or does that "just" mean that I might have trouble finding a bed, but still have stretches of the way to myself as I walk?

Also I can't really carry a backpack because of a dodgey back/neck. I would still verry much like to walk part of the camino though! I read, that taxis and transport services can take the luggage to your next stop... does this apply to the whole camino or is that only possible between the bigger cities?

I'd be really grateful for answers and replies!
Thanks,

annasusanna

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi annasusanna,

Good luck first of all with your Camino!
I only did my first Camino this year and started 12th of April in Roncesvalles and then it was " relatively " quiet. Lots of long stretches walking alone and quite easy to find a bed in the albergues. Situation changed after Leon, more busy and sometimes trouble to find a bed in albergue, but more albergues on that stretch so I could find another place in an albergue easily. Last 100 from Sarria was already very busy : big groups of walkers, but even there after a while I had some long stretches for myself.
But other members here can give you more accurate info.

On the subject of transport of luggage : I met people who only did parts of Camino and yes the taxiservices drive also to the little towns, heard that it was 7 € for every 20 kilometer.
I saw the vans of Jacotrans regularly. Do not remember the name of the other firm.
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... o|en&hl=en

Enjoy your preparations!

YES, it can really be busy and stinking hot! Pilgrims walk in 'waves' , heading towards specific towns - for instance , I walk very slowly so after an hour or two I will have say 40 to 50 people pass me from the previous town where they all left between 7 and 8am, then I'm on my own for a while until the next 'wave' hits me from a town further afield.
Pamplona to Burgos may be a good idea as there are many towns with the services you require. There are plenty of Hostals , private Albergues ( some traditional albergues require that a pilgrim must walk with a pack to qualify for a bed).
I think you need to budget for a little more than usual to cover the costs of taxis , luggage transport and hostals.
I have come across many other pilgrims in the same position as you that have had to compromise so do not let that discourage you. :wink:
I hope my waffel has been of some help

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Annasusanna:

Given you only have 3 weeks, I would start in Burgos or closer depending on how much you plan on walking per day. To arrive in Santiago, from Burgos, in 21 days you would have to average 25km per day.

I have never walked in July but imagine, based on numbers I have seen, it is more congested and very hot. That being said, I think you will still be able to find some solitude on a very long trail. The trail becomes even more congested the closer you get to Santiago.

As far as transport, there is a service I saw advertised in every Albergue along the way on their bulletin boards. Not sure of the cost but many people used the service and walked with day packs.

Buen Camino,
Joe

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back