• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Ahead in June to July

lerubo2024

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
Hi All! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in June and July 2024. Due to schedule restrictions I have to start mid-June and will finish up end of July. I am planning to arrive in Santiago before July 25 to beat the crowds of people who might be coming for Saint James day, however with my current plan I will only beat it by 3ish days. This leaves me with two questions:

1) This is a busier time and as a solo pilgrim, I want to be sure I will be able to find beds each night. I have booked out the first week, but want to leave room for flexibility and rest as needed. In 2024 and in June/July will there be an issue finding beds on the camino frances?

2) Would you recommend I book out Albergues after Sarria as this is likely the busiest of the stages?

3) As someone who is younger, in shape, and loves walking should I plan in rest days over the 30 days or simply "less" days with less walking. Trying to find a balance of planning but also leaving room to see where the camino takes me and learn to listen to the needs of my body, mind, and soul throughout the journey.

Thanks,
an excited first time pilgrim

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked from Sarria in mid June last year and had no trouble getting beds at the Xunta albergues. After a few days my husband needed to have his bag transported so we had to reserve to guarantee bag service and still had no trouble finding a bed.

Many large school groups in July, but I would still chance finding a bed if it were me alone walking.

We don't do rest days, but do have shorter days to allow for some sights we want to see, such as in Burgos or Leon.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As someone who is younger, in shape, and loves walking should I plan in rest days over the 30 days or simply "less" days with less walking.
I'm not younger, but I prefer not to take full days off from walking. If I need a rest I just walk a shorter distance.

As far as reserving towards the end - wait until you get to Galicia and have a better feel for how many pilgrims are on the trail. And remember that the public albergues don't take reservations - if you arrive by early afternoon you shouldn't have a problem getting a bed. But again, that's something to decide based on the situation while you are on the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've walked the Francés or parts of it in summer (june/july/august) three times ('17, '19, '22). Never really had an issue getting a bed, apart from the Pamplona area during San Fermin festival, but that won't be an issue for you in june. Once I had to walk +5km because Triacastela was full when I arrived. That's it.

Apart from that, I often I arrived later in the afternoons because I took my time. Still no problem.

Once I arrived in Santiago in july at 21:45 and got a bed in the first albergue I tried.

It will be very busy on the last stretch beginning from ~ O Cebreiro. But there's also a lot of choice with regards to accommodation. There's often still beds in the smaller towns, while the hordes stay in the bigger towns of the main stages.

Like trecile, instead of taking rest days, I prefer short days, but that's personal preference.

Happy planning, and Buen Camino!

Hi All! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in June and July 2024. Due to schedule restrictions I have to start mid-June and will finish up end of July. I am planning to arrive in Santiago before July 25 to beat the crowds of people who might be coming for Saint James day, however with my current plan I will only beat it by 3ish days. This leaves me with two questions:

1) This is a busier time and as a solo pilgrim, I want to be sure I will be able to find beds each night. I have booked out the first week, but want to leave room for flexibility and rest as needed. In 2024 and in June/July will there be an issue finding beds on the camino frances?

2) Would you recommend I book out Albergues after Sarria as this is likely the busiest of the stages?

3) As someone who is younger, in shape, and loves walking should I plan in rest days over the 30 days or simply "less" days with less walking. Trying to find a balance of planning but also leaving room to see where the camino takes me and learn to listen to the needs of my body, mind, and soul throughout the journey.

Thanks,
You can obviously book beds on booking.com (and other sites) for lots of hotac with a free cancellation clause and no upfront payment or risk, so there is nothing to lose, so check that. Even if you do a search and get offered a non refundable rate, check the options as the vast majority of suppliers offer a ‘free cancellation’ option at a slightly higher rate. I am always chopping/changing bookings and even have some (non Camino) out to 2025.

Last edited:

Thanks,
I wouldn't worry about it now. If you find that you need to then, booking a day or two in advance should be sufficient. And by that point, you should have a much better idea of how far you like to walk in a day, what type of place you like to stay at, etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, why do you want to book a bed ahead of time? I never booked (or say: rarely) a bed ahead walking several caminos. Many albergues go according to : first come first served (= no booking possible).... Bur if yoz feel you need: go booking.com for some better hostales... (double or Triple the €€ than albergues),
Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.