• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino in September....from Chicago

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012), Camino Frances (2014), Camino Norte (Oct 2018)
Hi, I'm Dan, and will be doing my first camino in Septemer/October 2012. I'm excited and scared and have been reading blogs, postings and sites on the internet nonstop. I can't sleep, just thinking about the incredible experience I'm going to have.

One of by biggest questions is what the weather will be like mid September to mid October.

Look forward to reading all your postings and advice.

Dan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Be relaxed about the weather. It is beyond your control! However, September is normally gorgeous, so be prepared for a bit of rain, then put concerns about the weather behind you. Buen camino!

Hi Dan,

I walked Camino Frances last Sept / Oct finishing Santiago on Oct 26th. The first 26 days were hot and dry, not a drop of rain. I was told this was abnormal and it was the worst drought in 50 years. The last days as we entered Galicia were cold and wet. So be prepared for hot and dry, cold and wet, all will happen.

You are right, planning / thinking of the Camino becomes all consuming. My advice, do your research, keep the pack weight low, no cotton clothes, be happy with your footwear. Don't walk too fast or long in the early days especially.

Walk with an open heart, be a friend. It is the most amazing thing to do.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hope this isnt seen as a thread hijack - but I am also looking at staring in mid to late Serptember and had similar queries re the weather and wonder just how much "cold climate" gear to bring. I was advised to take fleeces and a montane prism jacket - which I think [the jacket] may be a bit over the top.

Thoughts?

Cheers
David

Hello, Dan and David!

I have walked the Camino Frances twice in September-October, in 2010 and last year in 2011. Both years, it was a beautiful golden time of year to walk, I loved it. I started on Sept. 15th the first time and Sept. 24th the second. The weather was quite hot at the start, temperature in the 30s by afternoon (so about 95-100F?). Walking up to Alto del Perdon from Cizur Menor was a very hot day, and there were a few days on the Meseta that were hot as well. Last year I left the albergues earlier in the morning than I did my first year (last year I usually started by about 7:15-7:30am). I discovered I like to get much of my walking done before the heat of the day kicks in at around 11am.

In 2010 I experienced about 4 or 5 days of rain, I think. It poured rain on the way from Orisson to Roncesvalles -- slippery on the descent through the beech woods! It was difficult to get my clothes dry between Roncesvalles and Pamplona because although it didn't rain, the sky was overcast every day -- not enough sun to dry the clothes. There was also a wild, wild wind and rainstorm the day I walked from Castrojeriz to Boadilla. (Crazy!) However, opposite to what I'd read and been told ("It will pour rain every day in Galicia!"), the last 7 days of walking were under beautiful sunny skies, not a drop of rain. Frost on the ground, yes! But nice and dry. I arrived in Santiago on October 21st.

In 2011 I again experienced rain crossing from SJPP to Roncesvalles (I did it all in one day), but the sun did peek through for a short while at the top, fun to actually be able to see some of what had been hidden by mist and fog before! It rained on the morning I left Castrojeriz, until I got to the top of the tabletop hill. It rained again on the way up to O Cebreiro (that was beautiful). And when I really got into Galicia, it POURED rain! I came to understand what people mean when they say it rains in Galicia . But it was fun, mostly (haha). I got to Santiago on October 25th. It rained solidly from the 23rd to the 25th. I waited in Santiago for three days, where it continued to pour rain (it got a bit old after a while), then enjoyed beautiful sunny weather for the three day walk to Fisterra.

David, I wore Icebreaker merino wool clothing both times and I love it. Last year I had two Icebreaker t-shirts (one of which, sadly, I forgot at an albergue in Palas de Rei :(), two long-sleeved Icebreaker shirts, one pair of Icebreaker leggings, a short walking skirt to wear over the leggings, and a pair of quick-dry nylon pants. I also had a fleece jacket, and a rainjacket/windbreaker I bought in Leon during my first Camino because it was getting chilly by the time I reached Leon (too chilly in the evening for just my fleece, and also cold in the morning for the first hour or so)... it's been a great practical, useful souvenir! And I had my Altus rain poncho.

No idea how heavy your jacket is but you likely would only need one fleece. It's good to have layering options. I could put on all my clothes if need be, but I think I only did once or twice and that was at the end of my Camino in Fisterra (I stayed there for three weeks, until the end of November, and it was chilly by then! Plus it rained a LOT there). A friend of mine did wake up to snow on O Cebreiro in October, a few days after I was there in the rain. But he just walked his way down out of it, with no special winter gear (he does also wear Icebreaker though).

Any other questions, please feel free to ask! If you want to click on the link in my signature (to my Caminoheart channel on YouTube), you can see video clips of my walks both years -- will give you an idea of what the weather and landscape was like, and what we were wearing for the temperatures. This is the video I made after last year's walk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jFmcyGubE

Buen Camino! You will be amazed at how you receive exactly what you need, if and when you need it.

Rachel

Hi, Dan,

Good to see another midwesterner setting out! jpflavin of this forum (Joe) and I have talked about trying to set up some kind of informal Chicago gathering after we're both back from walking (he's heading out in spring, I'm going in June). So maybe some Saturday in August we could meet for a chat.

I'll just second the comments on the unpredictability of the weather, but will note that as a Chicagoan you come to the Camino with a high level of preparedness for any and all kinds of horrible weather. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey Dan - we are going about the same time frame, but we are going to do the Camino Portugues - actually getting there in Sept, but starting to walk on 9/30 from Valenca, Portugal. Coming from Chicago as you are, we are coming from just north of Detroit, so know your excitement! I read and study all the time and look forward to days of at least 54 degrees so we can train! I just wanted to wish a fellow midwesterner much luck with your adventures. The weather for us will be different, but I think if you just prepare for the rain you will be good. We are taking pants that convert to shorts for when it goes cool to warm and also taking rain ponchos for the rain we may encounter... it's not much weight but we stay ready. Oh and we have waterproof hiking shoes to help stay a bit dryer if it does rain :) As with anything, prepare for the worst, hope for the best with weather, and you can take on anything!
Bom Caminho,
Red

laurie, Red and Rachel, Thanks for all you comments! They are great. A rendezvous in Chicago would be a nice thing. Thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back