• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles by yacht

PilgrimYacht

Hello

I'm planning to sail by yacht from the UK to Ferrol. Arriving at the Cathedral for Easter.
Are there particular UK ports associated with this pilgrimage?

Living in Kent, had thought Canterbury to Dover would be a good start; but reading these messages I realise the significance of tradition.

I'll be sailing a Sigma 38, 10 berths. Along the Channel and round the Bay of Biscay.

I am drawn to the Pilgrimage to meet a group/crew of strangers with a common goal; sharing the optimism through an adventure.

I wish you all safe journeys.

Simon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you sail to Ferrol or A Coruna, you can walk, cycle or take a bus or train to Santiago.

Or you could try the Ria de Arosa: 44 nautical miles
Pilgrims often arrived by sea into the Arousa Bay and sailed up the River Ulla. This sea and river route through the Ria de Arousa and the river Ulla honours the arrival of the body of St. James the Greater in Spain. The shores of the Ria de Arousa have varied landscapes and rich history. In Padrón, you will find the famous "Padron stone” where legend tells us the disciples of the apostle tied their ship when bringing his body ashore in Galicia.
http://www.lariadearosa.com/RutaXacobea ... apacaminos

This route no longer qualifies one for the Compostela.

Hola Simon

You are following a long tradition of sailing to Galicia. In modern times most of the pilgrims I have heard of have sailed into A Coruna or into Ferrol. In recent years the Irish sailing ship, the Jeanie Jonhstone made regular passages from Ireland to both La Coruna and Ferrol http://www.jeaniejohnston.ie/index.htm. Have a look at this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbQ9Y-aMlFw[/youtube]
After disembarking the walk to Santiago from A Coruna takes 3/4 days and is approximately 72 kms. This distance being shorter than 100 kms means pilgrims following this route do not receive a Compostela on arrival in Santiago. The walk from Ferrol can be done comfortably in 5 days and is 118 kms in length.

Alas I have other plans for the week before Easter next year or I would apply to join you as I think that sailing to Galicia then walking to Santiago would be very exciting.

Have a look at this Guide: http://www.csj.org.uk/guides-online.htm

Please let all of us know how your plans develop and of course ask any questions you may have.

Best wishes

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you both for your information.

It seems Penzance (and a visit to St. Michaels Mount) was a popular departure Port.

I'm a professional yacht skipper. I find sailing is all about the journey, the unexpected, the camaraderie, the community. And honestly calm weather is worst than storms!

I studied the Music of mediaeval Compostela and was hooked. 6 years ago I finally made a visit by yacht and taxi from Portosin than exceeded every expectation.

This is a great site and thank you for the links. Sleepless inspiration.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.