Camino Inglés Ferrol to A Croña to Santiago question.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

mylifeonvacation

Apr 15, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
mylifeonvacation.wordpress.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Inglés (from Ferrol June 2014)
Camino Portuguese (from Tui May 2015)
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about the highest peak. On the Ingles, the highest point is as you approach Bruma, and you will make the climb coming from either the Ferrol or the Coruna. It's about 450 meters which isn't even the highest peak in Galicia (O Cebreiro is about 1300 meters).

My concern would be that there isn't any sort of marked route from Miño or Betanzos (the two towns where you could most efficiently divert over) to A Coruña, so that could be a big challenge.

Take a look at the elevation maps out there to really get a feel for the elevation changes. I'm not sure if they are attached somewhere in here, but you can find them in Johnny Walker's guide. www.gronze.com/camino-ingles is another good resource. Click on "ver perfil de la etapa" to drop down the elevation map for each stage.

Hope you find what works for you, it's really a beautiful walk! Buen Camino!

Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Can one walk to O Coroña then to Santiago and qualify for the certificate?
From Ferrol?
There wouldn't be much of a point to that, because you have to go up whichever route you take.
You can start in A Coruña, but if so you need to walk a further 25kns to get a compostela.
There are a number of threads here about the 'Celtic Camino,' which is one way of doing that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Nov 2, 2008
New Zealand
www.travelblog.org
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
As above, if you start in El Ferrol then the Camino is long enough to qualify for the Compostella. It doesn't go through A Corona, your would have do a detour along the coast to include this which would probably be interesting.

If you start in A Corona it's too short to qualify for a Composella unless you demonstrate you walk an additional 25km.

The English / Celtic Way, what ever you call it, doesn't include any big hills. The main hill climbs are form when you are coming across Spain and that have to haul yourself up into Galicia. Then it's a week of up and down valleys before reaching Santiago... This route is more gentle, main problem can be the rain beating in off the coast.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jun 21, 2014
Oregon, USA
2010, 2015 2016, 2020 postponed 2021 planning
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about the highest peak. On the Ingles, the highest point is as you approach Bruma, and you will make the climb coming from either the Ferrol or the Coruna. It's about 450 meters which isn't even the highest peak in Galicia (O Cebreiro is about 1300 meters).

My concern would be that there isn't any sort of marked route from Miño or Betanzos (the two towns where you could most efficiently divert over) to A Coruña, so that could be a big challenge.

Take a look at the elevation maps out there to really get a feel for the elevation changes. I'm not sure if they are attached somewhere in here, but you can find them in Johnny Walker's guide. www.gronze.com/camino-ingles is another good resource. Click on "ver perfil de la etapa" to drop down the elevation map for each stage.

Thank you for your information. The information about this huge mountain/ mole hill is all over the map as far as difficulty. Recently I read that the Camino was diverted to make it easier and avoid said mammoth mountain. There is nothing better than hearing from one whom has had boots on the trail. I will worry no more. With gratitude. Elin.
A Malata is not a peak. it is a cove

Jun 21, 2014
Oregon, USA
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
As above, if you start in El Ferrol then the Camino is long enough to qualify for the Compostella. It doesn't go through A Corona, your would have do a detour along the coast to include this which would probably be interesting.

If you start in A Corona it's too short to qualify for a Composella unless you demonstrate you walk an additional 25km.

The English / Celtic Way, what ever you call it, doesn't include any big hills. The main hill climbs are form when you are coming across Spain and that have to haul yourself up into Galicia. Then it's a week of up and down valleys before reaching Santiago... This route is more gentle, main problem can be the rain beating in off the coast.
Depends on your definition of "big hill". Certainly I found the "gentle slope" out of Pontedeume taxing enough.

Reactions: VNwalking

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Oct 28, 2013
Madrid
Peregrin: more confusion. Reference to the A Malala segment from Betanzos-Hospital de Bruma from Correos postal site about the part. " The next section, from San Paio de Vilacoba to A Malata, is extremely hard. 4/5. Once you reach A Malata, the highest peak in the Camino, pilgrims walk through the mountain towards Mesía to reach Bruma in about half an hour..". https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/camino-ingles-the-english-way/betanzos-hospital-de-bruma.
Sorry but I only know one A Malata in Ferrol that is cove.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023

Make sure you get the latest version of Johnny's book as significant changes to the route were made this spring. Certainly the route shown on the Correos webpage entering Sigüeiro is wrong but it IS well marked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

mylifeonvacation

Apr 15, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
mylifeonvacation.wordpress.com
Camino Inglés (from Ferrol June 2014)
Camino Portuguese (from Tui May 2015)
"The next section, from San Paio de Vilacoba to A Malata, is extremely hard. 4/5. Once you reach A Malata, the highest peak in the Camino, pilgrims walk through the mountain towards Mesía to reach Bruma in about half an hour"

Ah, that explains it! There are so many place names in Galicia that they don't all make it onto maps. (When you google A Malata, it shows a cove near Ferrol)

When I think of the names of the places we walked through, the "top" of the hill is in Vizoño. It's a small mountain, tho. For context, I think that people of average fitness walked from Casa Julia to Vizoño in about 45 minutes on the old route. Me, not being of great fitness, it took me an hour and 10 minutes. My profile photo is actually from that point in Vizoño, I was so proud to have made the climb! That being said, the new route doesn't go that way and is 2km shorter and somehow the climb is gentler. I haven't walked it to compare. People shouldn't worry about the route changes, the camino is SO well marked now, since they have made a lot of improvements to the signage over the past year. As mentioned above, getting the latest version of Johnny Walker's guide is a great idea! Buen Camino!

Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
The information about this huge mountain/ mole hill is all over the map as far as difficulty. Recently I read that the Camino was diverted to make it easier and avoid said mammoth mountain. There is nothing better than hearing from one whom has had boots on the trail. I will worry no more.
It's a small mountain
The Himalaya are mountains. The Alps are mountains. Mauna Loa in my natal backyard is a mountain. That climb is a long hill. But it is a climb, and perceptions are relative. A Dutch person and a Swiss person would see it differently.;) Not to mention relative fitness, and whether people are experienced walkers or not.
So YMMV, @Parisian. Not to overthink or overplan it. One step at a time will get you to the top and whichever direction you approach it you'll get there and be glad for it as @mylifeonvacation so nicely expresses.
Buen Camino!

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Jul 5, 2014
Netherlands
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Plan to start the Camino Inglés in Ferrol. Can one walk to O Coroña then to Santiago and qualify for the certificate? Trying to avoid A Malata touted as the highest peak of all the Camino routes. Thanks for any advise.
Sorry , but thats no peak thats a hil.
I would say try to do your home work .

Peter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jun 21, 2014
Oregon, USA
Sorry , but thats no peak thats a hil.
I would say try to do your home work .

Peter.
My "try at homework" gave conflicting information thus the question on this platform. I am grateful for those who clarified current information.

Reactions: VNwalking

peb

Apr 3, 2018
London
C. Ingles March 2018
As others have said above, the stage from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma on the Ingles is much easier now that the Ingles has been rerouted. The walk up to Hospital de Bruma is an hours quite gentle uphill walk on forest roads until you come up on the main road by an electricity sub-station and you join the route from A Coruna. All the time I walked up it, I was worrying, 'where's the steep hill?' But there isn't one. So do not worry about the big hill on the stage to Hospital de Bruma. It isn't there anymore.

The one thing that you do need to be prepared on that stage from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma is that it is long (28km) and between Presedo and Bar Avelina (about 13km), there are no bars, shops or restaurants; just you and the countryside. You need water and provisions to keep you going. However, apart from out of Cos, where the guidebooks send you over the road to Presedo and the waymarks which send you left on the path alongside the road to Presedo (and you should walk along the road for about 3km down the hill and round the bends until the waymarked path goes left to Presedo, but be aware that the waymarks keeping you following the road sometimes only appear every 1/2 km or so), this stage of the Ingles is well marked.

The two steep hills on the Ingles are out of Pontedeume and Betanzos, two 20 minute uphill slogs, but at the start of the day, when hopefully, you are rested and well nourished.

Jun 21, 2014
Oregon, USA
As others have said above, the stage from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma on the Ingles is much easier now that the Ingles has been rerouted. The walk up to Hospital de Bruma is an hours quite gentle uphill walk on forest roads until you come up on the main road by an electricity sub-station and you join the route from A Coruna. All the time I walked up it, I was worrying, 'where's the steep hill?' But there isn't one. So do not worry about the big hill on the stage to Hospital de Bruma. It isn't there anymore.

The one thing that you do need to be prepared on that stage from Betanzos to Hospital de Bruma is that it is long (28km) and between Presedo and Bar Avelina (about 13km), there are no bars, shops or restaurants; just you and the countryside. You need water and provisions to keep you going. However, apart from out of Cos, where the guidebooks send you over the road to Presedo and the waymarks which send you left on the path alongside the road to Presedo (and you should walk along the road for about 3km down the hill and round the bends until the waymarked path goes left to Presedo, but be aware that the waymarks keeping you following the road sometimes only appear every 1/2 km or so), this stage of the Ingles is well marked.

The two steep hills on the Ingles are out of Pontedeume and Betanzos, two 20 minute uphill slogs, but at the start of the day, when hopefully, you are rested and well nourished.

Thank you so much for your most helpful current information. Best to you, with gratitude, Elin

Last edited:

€46,-

André Walker

Never losing my way: always standing on it
May 27, 2018
Holland
A couple.
The Himalaya are mountains. The Alps are mountains. Mauna Loa in my natal backyard is a mountain. That climb is a long hill. But it is a climb, and perceptions are relative. A Dutch person and a Swiss person would see it differently.;) Not to mention relative fitness, and whether people are experienced walkers or not.
So YMMV, @Parisian. Not to overthink or overplan it. One step at a time will get you to the top and whichever direction you approach it you'll get there and be glad for it as @mylifeonvacation so nicely expresses.
Buen Camino!

Being Dutch, I can assure you that VNwalking is right: the perception of a hill or mountain is indeed relative.
In fact, what we in Holland call a hill, is often referred to by other nationalities as 'bridges'.

Reactions: Parisian

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.