• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ingles in May

Cotopaxi

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hi everyone,

I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances from Ponferrada and Portugues from Porto, and both routes are quite busy, so I never felt like I'm walking alone. How busy Ingles can be in May if it's ever busy at all?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone,

I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances from Ponferrada and Portugues from Porto, and both routes are quite busy, so I never felt like I'm walking alone. How busy Ingles can be in May if it's ever busy at all?
No need to worry about numbers on the Inglés in my opinion. It’s quite busy and not at all the least popular route, so you will find people to walk with. There is even a bed race in one or two towns.

From what pilgrims report as they come into Santiago, the Inglés is getting busier now, even in April, and by May it should have more walkers. So you won't be too isolated or alone.

I walked the Inglés solo in July 2017. It was quieter back then, but there were still pilgrims around, as well as locals walking their neighborhood trails (some of which also happened to be the Camino). And there were plenty of pilgrims staying in the albergues.

Enjoy and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone,

in may you will (most likely) always see a pilgrim around, either ahead of you or behind you. albergues may even be full. that said, you will also feel a significant difference in the number of pilgrims. reassurance is hard to provide as everyone, and perhaps more so, women, have different levels of perceived safety.
in any case, spain, galicia and the Camino are undoubtedly an anomaly (in a good way) in our world regarding personal safety, and that's a fact based on stats. not sure if this helps. Buen Camino!

@Cotopaxi , welcome to the forum.

Not sure who told you that the Inglés was the least popular route, but they were very, very wrong. Statistically it's actually the fourth most popular, it even beats out the Primitivo and the Norte in terms of numbers walking.

Last year over 24,000 people walked the Inglés - including I might add 333 of your fellow countrymen (assuming you are indeed Irish as per your Avatar.)

Over two and a half thousand in May alone. That's an average of over 80 people a day.

Last April the only pinch point I found (during Semana Santa, a very busy week indeed) was Bruma, the public Albergue there is quite small and the private one books out quite quickly. Between them they only hold 40 or so. Consider either booking, staying in the hotel or a pension a kilometer or so away, or staging to avoid it.

The Inglés is very safe, well supported with great infrastructure, in short a lovely Camino -
enjoy!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone,

I just finished the Camino Ingles, there is no need to be worried as there are lots of pilgrims.

Today I've just finished The ingles.
I am a 50 y.o. woman traveling all by my own. I never felt unsecure on Ingles not even for a second. Or maybe, to be truthful near (about 2 or 3 kilometers) Casa de Avelina two little dogs barked at me realy loud, they where free from their yard, and showed me their teeth. But with my last ham sandwich from my backpack just saved the day. Still no danger from humans.
I've started on 23th of April from Ferrol and I arrived today.
The road get busier with each stage.
On the first day I barely met a few pilgrims and this was only in Fene and then in Pontedeume at a private albergue there were still places. I don't know at the municipal one. But today I met dozens of pilgrims on the way and among the friendliest ones.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Today I've just finished The ingles.
I am a 50 y.o. woman traveling all by my own. I never felt unsecure on Ingles not even for a second. Or maybe, to be truthful near (about 2 or 3 kilometers) Casa de Avelina two little dogs barked at me realy loud, they where free from their yard, and showed me their teeth. But with my last ham sandwich from my backpack just saved the day. Still no danger from humans.
I've started on 23th of April from Ferrol and I arrived today.
The road get busier with each stage.
On the first day I barely met a few pilgrims and this was only in Fene and then in Pontedeume at a private albergue there were still places. I don't know at the municipal one. But today I met dozens of pilgrims on the way and among the friendliest ones.

Thank you! And congrats on arrival 😁
Did you walk from Ferrol to Pontedeume on the first day?

Thank you! And congrats on arrival 😁
Did you walk from Ferrol to Pontedeume on the first day?
Thank you! 🤗
Yes, proudly I may say I did it! 😇
I think it was one of the toughest day in my entire life. In that night on the albergue I thought I can't do this, I'm gonna get a bus to Santiago de Compostela, visit the cathedral, say a prayer and go back home.
But in the morning my body didn't hurt so much as the previous night and I kept going...
And I am sooooo glad I did!

Hi everyone,

The Pilgrim's Reception office shows about 3,000 people per month for the Ingles for May and June of 2023, so about 100 people per day. It seems like it may be a bit busier this year. The Frances from SJPDP generally has about 200 - 300 people per day. Seems like there should be enough people around.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Pilgrim's Reception office shows about 3,000 people per month for the Ingles for May and June of 2023, so about 100 people per day. It seems like it may be a bit busier this year. The Frances from SJPDP generally has about 200 - 300 people per day. Seems like there should be enough people around.
Thanks for the research! 😊

Female walking solo 4/14-4-19, very lucky with good weather. Met pilgrims here and there along the way, and sixty schoolchildren at one point. Bonded with two Spanish ladies from Asturia. Since my first day in Ferrol was Sunday and practically all shops were closed, decided to walk as far as Neda and returned to Ferrol by bus. Following day, took the bus and picked up where I left off. Bring energy bar and enough drink as place to stop is far between.

Female walking solo 4/14-4-19, very lucky with good weather. Met pilgrims here and there along the way, and sixty schoolchildren at one point. Bonded with two Spanish ladies from Asturia. Since my first day in Ferrol was Sunday and practically all shops were closed, decided to walk as far as Neda and returned to Ferrol by bus. Following day, took the bus and picked up where I left off. Bring energy bar and enough drink as place to stop is far between.
Thank you! Does it make sense to stay in Ferrol for a day before the start?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you! Does it make sense to stay in Ferrol for a day before the start?
I traveled from west coast USA (lax-mad, then same day train mad-Ferrol arriving close to midnight), thought I needed a day to recover. But adrenaline hit hard, I’m healthy and motivated. So, if time and/or cost is an issue, no extra day is needed.

I traveled from west coast USA (lax-mad, then same day train mad-Ferrol arriving close to midnight), thought I needed a day to recover. But adrenaline hit hard, I’m healthy and motivated. So, if time and/or cost is an issue, no extra day is needed.
I'm arriving late to Santiago and taking a bus to Ferrol next morning. 14 km/8,6 miles doesn't sound too hard, but I'm still thinking if I should go straight off the bus 🫣

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

They are expecting snow at altitude. Talking to other pilgrims, some are going Napoleon anyway. Thoughts? I was hoping to go Napoleon myself. I might add, lots of communication barriers at the...
Money stolen from bag on bed while sleeping. Estelle municipal hostel. Not a big inconvenience as my passport and credit cards were left.
Hello - we left Vigo Monday and have had rain daily for 2 days. Today lots of mud. Our concern is the forecast is getting worse. Tomorrow we reach Pontevedra. On Friday we are supposed to go to...
Hi! I'm a 19 year old female, and I'm solo hiking the Portuguese route starting next week. I've heard about some safety Apps for Spain and Portugal, but I can't seem to find what these apps are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back