Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Invierno on April 3

Weng

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese
Hello fellow peregrinos y peregrinas!
I'm so excited to be able to do another Camino this year after a good 2 year pause. But I'm debating between Sanabres and Invierno. I would greatly appreciate any information from everyone who have experienced Camino de Invierno in April, weather-wise and opened Albergues.
I plan to start on April 3 😁

Thank you so much!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I will be on the Invierno in June, but I haven't walked either it or the Sanabres previously so I can't give you good advice on comparing the two routes or on walking in April.

I know if you scroll down through this forum there is some good current info on Albergues and Pensions along the Invierno. There is current info regarding A Rua here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...stal-la-torre-puente-de-domingo-flórez.73473/; Regarding Villavieja here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...eja-—-updated-contact-information-2-22.73227/; Regarding Chantada here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/another-new-private-albergue-in-chantada.73376/. I do know that the new junta alberge at Diomondi is not yet open and may not open this spring.

Alsom here's another link to a thread started by another pilgrim who is starting in April: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/april-2022-camino-de-invierno.73241/. I know there is more info than this buried in other threads.

Buen Camino -- LizB

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've not walked the Sanabres, just the Invierno.
Not current info, and the wrong month, but my experience on the Invierno in June 2019 was until you get to where the it meets the Sanabres, albergues are relatively thin on the ground. In 13 nights between Ponferrada and Santiago, I could spend 3 in alberges.

A few are available where there weren't any 2 years ago - in Las Medilas, Monforte, and Diamondi. But not all of them (any?) are opening this year. Best check.

Haven't yet walked the Invierno. However have twice walked the Sanabrese and due to walk again this May
during my VdlP. Love it, beautiful countryside and vistas and just the right amount of pilgrims . I like walking alone but great to have company in the evenings.

I love both of these caminos, but if I had to choose one, I would tip the scale in favor of the Invierno. That’s just my opinion. Both caminos go through untouristy parts of Spain, both have a lot of rural beauty. But the Sil River, the Miño River, the vineyards, and the Médulas give the Invierno a leg up in terms of natural beauty, IMO.

The accommodation on the Invierno is now more than adequate. Several private albergues have opened (Chantada, Lalín, Rodeiro, Monforte, Puente Domingo Flórez), which adds to the public ones in Vilamartín, Xagoaza, Quiroga (and maybe a place or two I have forgotten). There are pensiones and hoteles to take up the slack in places like Médulas and Barco de Valdeorras. And for those who prefer non-albergue accommodations,there are lots of small pensiones.

The one “problem point” is between Quiroga and Monforte, at least for those who don’t fancy 35-36 km days. The obvious mid point is Pobra de Brollón, which is still trying to get its act together to open an albergue now that the As Viñas pensión has closed. And the Pensión Pacita, a short hop off camino from Barxa de Lor is still closed due to family illness. Gronze does say that they expect to open in February or March, but that hasn’t yet happened apparently. That makes the best alternative to break up that stage the casa rural/hotel in Salcedo. This post details three ways to get there. I think that walking to Salcedo on the off-camino, but marked, river trail from Barxa de Lor makes the most sense and would be much more enjoyable than taking the road from Castroncellos or a ride from the owners from Pobra de Brollón, but that’s just me. Both places in Salcedo are owned by the same family. They are on booking, but they are also on WhatsApp, which would be a more owner-friendly way to make a reservation, IMHO.

And since I’m on my Invierno soap box, I’ll throw out my repeated praise of the 6 km loop from the Casa Rural Torre Vilariño, which is a short 13 or so from Monforte. This loop takes in a few romanesque churches and some terrific vistas of the horseshoe bend of the Miño. The Torre Vilariño was Galicia’s first Casa Rural ever licensed by the Spanish government, and it is very nice. It has several different buildings, and its restaurant does get some tour buses, but the place is family run, with beautiful grounds, and good pilgrim prices. They had a fire a few years ago, limited to the kitchen, I think, but are up and running and also are on WhatsApp. Torre Vilariño is also right next door to a small museum in an old pazo, and there is a prehistoric castro up on a hill on the grounds. It is just a great way to spend a day.

Ok, end of Invierno preaching. The Sanabrés is lovely, don’t get me wrong!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you everyone for your valuable input! I'm taking notes on all the information you have shared here on both routes. I have decided to walk the Sanabres on April 3 and the Lebaniego after Easter Sunday in Sevilla. Just planning to have a soft break in doing the Camino after the long pandemic pause we all went through. I'm very grateful for this Camino community 😇

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back