A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Camino Lebaniego/Vadiniense!

Santiago Photo Book

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
October 2012 Camino Francés Sarria /Santiago.
November 2013 Camino Francés
León to Sarria
June 2014 Camino Francés San Juan Pie de Port to Logroño.
November 2016 Camino Frances ,Logroño to León.
I just arrived home after Camino Lebaniego/Vadiniense.
It’s has been a beautiful experience to walk this two Caminos , the beauty is something really impressive even there are extremely hard to walk sometimes, we enjoy walking the path side to Nansa river , we enjoy the beautiful views going up after Fuentede crossing the mountains and walking on the snow, but again this is only affordable for people that are well trained o people used to walk on the mountains.
This is not like Camino Frances because everyday is very demanding, there are some areas were you would fine nothing but nature, no village, no bars , no supermarkets, just nature and walking paths.
If you do it get well informed and I suggest no to walk alone.
Ultreia et suseia!

Buen Camino!!

Attachments

Michael; Camino-addicted

Take your time to enjoy a beautiful moment
Camino(s) past & future
A few Caminos
Next plan - Camino Vasco interior
I can agree with every word from Pruden.

Its a really wonderful way, we did the Lebaniego/Vadiniense in 2017.

You have to plan more than usual and carry drinks and food for nearly every meter you want to walk.

But this wonderful path is all worth it.

Fantastic photos 👍

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks so much, Pruden, lovely pictures! Would you mind sharing your stages? I have a hankering to go back and always like to try to walk different stages. By the way, I walked alone and it was fine. I did get lost at the top of the hill after Cicera as I was trying to find the path to Lebeña. I wound up sliding down through hundreds of meters of what the Spaniards call “maleza.” I wound up with a pair of shredded pants, but luckily I was able to buy a new pair in Potes.

Sorry to bombard you with a couple of questions —

I see Gronze indicates a new routing after Cicera. Since I walked before 2015, I assume I walked what it shows as a dotted line up to the Collado de Arceón, which is where I got lost and had to slide down the hill. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/lafuente/potes
Do you remember anything about that part after Cicera and whether you went on the dotted line or solid line?

When I stayed in Potes, they allowed me two nights in the albergue so I could walk out and back to the monastery (albergue in the monastery was closed) and then carry on the next day without having to stop in the monastery while walking. Did you do that? Loved that Potes albergue — in the former jail, windows opening right onto the river, it was great!

The one thing that would hold me back is all of that asphalt from the end of the Senda da Remoña (I think the asphalt starts right at the Puerto de Pandetrave or close to it). And then from there to the end, it is (or was) nearly all asphalt. I remember Rebekah said that groups were trying to find off-road options — I’m wondering if many of them are in place or it is is all still overwhelmingly road walking.

There was a hope I think that some holy year celebration would have increased traffic on the Lebañiego/Vadiniense, but that doesn’t seem to have happened — did you see anyone else?

Buen camino, Laurie

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
Hola Pruden, thank you for sharing your experiences and these lovely pics. Looks like you had a wonderful camino.
Cheers, tom
Yes I have a wonderful experience! I chose to be there and I knew it was going to be hard an beauty 50%!
I enjoy it!
Buen camino!

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
I can agree with every word from Pruden.

Its a really wonderful way, we did the Lebaniego/Vadiniense in 2017.

You have to plan more than usual and carry drinks and food for nearly every meter you want to walk.

But this wonderful path is all worth it.

Fantastic photos 👍
Thanks Michael for your wonderful words , beautiful camino and looking forward to next one , maybe Camino Olvidado!!

Aglass

Andrew
Camino(s) past & future
Walked el Camino Frances in 2003. Did the Primitivo in August 13 and Ruta lebaniega in July 14. Summer 2016 - Camino del Salvador.
One day: Ruta de la Plata into the Sanabres, maybe part of the Norte, and perhaps the Olvidado.
Hi all
I did the Lebaniego in 2016. It was the 'new' way and only about 5 km of road walking if I remember right and even that was a rural road with stunning scenery.
Andrew

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
Thanks so much, Pruden, lovely pictures! Would you mind sharing your stages? I have a hankering to go back and always like to try to walk different stages. By the way, I walked alone and it was fine. I did get lost at the top of the hill after Cicera as I was trying to find the path to Lebeña. I wound up sliding down through hundreds of meters of what the Spaniards call “maleza.” I wound up with a pair of shredded pants, but luckily I was able to buy a new pair in Potes.

Sorry to bombard you with a couple of questions —

I see Gronze indicates a new routing after Cicera. Since I walked before 2015, I assume I walked what it shows as a dotted line up to the Collado de Arceón, which is where I got lost and had to slide down the hill. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/lafuente/potes
Do you remember anything about that part after Cicera and whether you went on the dotted line or solid line?

When I stayed in Potes, they allowed me two nights in the albergue so I could walk out and back to the monastery (albergue in the monastery was closed) and then carry on the next day without having to stop in the monastery while walking. Did you do that? Loved that Potes albergue — in the former jail, windows opening right onto the river, it was great!

The one thing that would hold me back is all of that asphalt from the end of the Senda da Remoña (I think the asphalt starts right at the Puerto de Pandetrave or close to it). And then from there to the end, it is (or was) nearly all asphalt. I remember Rebekah said that groups were trying to find off-road options — I’m wondering if many of them are in place or it is is all still overwhelmingly road walking.

There was a hope I think that some holy year celebration would have increased traffic on the Lebañiego/Vadiniense, but that doesn’t seem to have happened — did you see anyone else?

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks for reading me , I’m just nobody to on this Caminos.
I’ll try to answer you even my English is limited, I did walk alone in some parts of the etapas , I make San Vicente to Cades , Cabañes, San Pelayo, Espinama, Portilla de la Reina , Horcadas , Cistierna,Gradefes,Mansilla de las Mulas .
To tell you the truth after Cicera we went up just after you cross a little river, we pass a beautiful forest with huge beech trees , and when we got to the top after a very stiff climb we have a beautiful view, then we entered an oaks forest, going up for a while before going down on a very stiff descent ( making on the walking down what we call a Z all the way down to Lebeña and it was no easy walking for my knees). I can not tell you if this is collado Arceon or not because we did no see clearly the arrow one way or the other because we were talking.)But anyway the crossing from Cicera to Lebeña was extremely beautiful.
Then we went up to Allende and took the there the signed left way ( don’t take the right one) we were time after on the side of the noisy river cover with deep vegetation like in the pure jungle) and staying at Cabañes albergue , very good stay .
I did not stay in Potes and walked to San Pelayo Albergue ( just been made new inside).
After climbing up from Espinama and on the other side to Pandrave the is no option but the asfalt ( but maybe could walk for few kilometers on The Valley before the two river met), the rest is asfalt and feet get really broken.)
We only were most of the time 5 or 6 pilgrims that sometimes we ended up at the same place to spend the night.
We were lucky because we crossed the mountains in time before the storm and snow ❄ came the next day when we were passing Riaño .and could see the snow on the peeks near.
The first Etapa we walked side to the Nansa River.
I suggest the following places to stay, ( Cades was no good if I looked at other albergues , there is no option), Cabañes Albergue, San Pelayo Albergue, Espinama close to the river ( don't remember the name ) but it’s a private albergue very good, Portilla ( it’s a casa rural ruled by a Mexican born lady, Horcajadas casa rural it’s wonderful, ( used to be a municipal albergue).

Michael; Camino-addicted

Take your time to enjoy a beautiful moment
Camino(s) past & future
A few Caminos
Next plan - Camino Vasco interior
We walked the same way as Pruden after Cicera and in my map its the new way, not crossing Collado Arcedon.
The way down is sometimes really steep and for sure not the best for you knees, but very beautiful.

And as Pruden said........."In Allende don´t take the right way ";)

Please, don´t do it. My sister and I did it - 1,5km distance with 300 mtr altitude difference :mad:

I still feel my burning lungs and my heavy legs today.😭

When we were up it was a view to fall on your knees, spectacular. But the way up in the sun was like the hell.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi Laurie! The marked trail at the moment does not go to Collado de Arceon. Even in the Santander airport, the lady at the info booth told us that path was closed and no good for walking this April. We followed the other path, which I don't know the name, and then towards Rio Robero. It was breathtaking in so many ways :)

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am definitely going to have to return. Probably the scariest road walking experience of any camino was on the road into Potes, along the N-621. So glad to see that Gronze doesn’t even show it anymore.

If only there were not so much asphalt after you get through the Picos and the Puerto de Pandetrave.... Maybe now that I am wearing Altras, though, my feet would tolerate it better. I think I was still wearing hiking boots on the Vadiniense!

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
We walked the same way as Pruden after Cicera and in my map its the new way, not crossing Collado Arcedon.
The way down is sometimes really steep and for sure not the best for you knees, but very beautiful.

And as Pruden said........."In Allende don´t take the right way ";)

Please, don´t do it. My sister and I did it - 1,5km distance with 300 mtr altitude difference :mad:

I still feel my burning lungs and my heavy legs today.😭

When we were up it was a view to fall on your knees, spectacular. But the way up in the sun was like the hell.

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
Yes , better take the ancient track on the left hand side an pass a small ermita ( maybe you would have to remove some fences, but you’re on the right pathway)!

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
I am definitely going to have to return. Probably the scariest road walking experience of any camino was on the road into Potes, along the N-621. So glad to see that Gronze doesn’t even show it anymore.

If only there were not so much asphalt after you get through the Picos and the Puerto de Pandetrave.... Maybe now that I am wearing Altras, though, my feet would tolerate it better. I think I was still wearing hiking boots on the Vadiniense!

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
From pandrave down to Portilla is the worst, especially if it’s a hot day ( ten kilometers of asfalt)!

peregrina2000

Staff member
From pandrave down to Portilla is the worst, especially if it’s a hot day ( ten kilometers of asfalt)!
Pruden, thanks so much for the information. Did you continue all the way to Mansilla de las Mulas? Would love to hear how those stages went for you. The stages you gave stop in Horcadas.

I found this casa rural in Horcadas, which must be where you stayed. https://casa-rural-nevada.negocio.site. If I go back, I will definitely push on to this place, because Riaño is a weird little artificial town, built when the real town was flooded.

And that would make it easy to get to Cistierna the next day, brilliant staging, @Pruden!

When I walked, my feet just self-destructed from all that asphalt, and by Gradefes I was hobbling. So I never walked from Gradefes into Mansilla, it was my very first Camino bus! That gives me a reason to go back. And another great reason is the absolutely gorgeous church in San Miguel de la Escalada.

Thanks so much for all this info, buen camino, Laurie

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
Pruden, thanks so much for the information. Did you continue all the way to Mansilla de las Mulas? Would love to hear how those stages went for you. The stages you gave stop in Horcadas.

I found this casa rural in Horcadas, which must be where you stayed. https://casa-rural-nevada.negocio.site. If I go back, I will definitely push on to this place, because Riaño is a weird little artificial town, built when the real town was flooded.

And that would make it easy to get to Cistierna the next day, brilliant staging, @Pruden!

When I walked, my feet just self-destructed from all that asphalt, and by Gradefes I was hobbling. So I never walked from Gradefes into Mansilla, it was my very first Camino bus! That gives me a reason to go back. And another great reason is the absolutely gorgeous church in San Miguel de la Escalada.

Thanks so much for all this info, buen camino, Laurie

Pruden

Pilgrim of life
Camino(s) past & future
León to Sarria
Yes , the house at Horcada is that one , but remember is nothing there for dinner unless the bar is open on weekends, or on holidays , si you must buy food at Riaño ( bocadillos o supermercado and it’s closed from 14,00 till 17,00).

From Cistierna to Gradefes the path is fine and no to much asfalt, and from Gradefes to Mansilla it’s very similar, but that’s part of la Meseta and is not as pretty us the journeys back.
San Miguel de la Escalada we could no see because it was closed at the time we went by, we did no find places for a coffee because we did not enter through the middle of the few villages on the way.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 44 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 268 24.5%