• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Lebaniego-Vadiniense in November?

ezbeer

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 C.F.
2016 C.F.
2018 C.P.
2019 C. Salvador + C. Primitivo
We plan to start from S. Vicente b. on 3 November 2023 and walk to Leon.
Do you think the weather in this period of the year is suit safe walking?
Thanks'
Emanuel

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Carry a tent, proper sleeping bag that is good down to 0C and ideally lower. Take proper mountaineering gear and clothes. Pack like you are summiting the alps in winter.

My parents were in Potes in early October, either 2018 or 2019 and they went to bed on the second night and woke up to 3 inches of snow the next morning. So be aware what you want to do is mountaineering level, at that time of the year. If it snows, you will need adequate snow shoes.

I second Rebakah but add, only do it if you are a skilled mountaineer with experience in navigating trails with snow and ice. If you have zero experience in that area, do a different route.

When this Canadian walked the Vadiniense years ago, there were a number of spots where I thought to myself that I would not want to be caught here in the snow. After I returned I showed my photographs to a friend in our Reserve with experience of winter exercises, and she stongly agreed, saying that it was as well that Canada was not invading Asturias.

As others have noted, unless you are an experienced (and trained!!!!) winter camper, I would not think of it. The odds of real danger are far too great to play with such conditions.

@Rebekah Scott, who has posted in this thread, wrote an excellent guide to the Vadiniense, and is perhaps the English-language expert on this astonishing and challenging Camino. Do it, but not in November!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've walked Fuente De, Sotres, Tresviso, La Hermida and Fuente De to Bulnes & Las Arenas via the Refugio Jou de Los Cabrones. Both in October. Occasionally challenging but, properly equipped, do-able. Note Jou de Los Cabrones closes mis-October.

We've no idea of the OP's capabilities 'cos they've not told us. I've assumed that they are sufficiently self aware that they know that the Picos de Europa in early winter ain't the Camino Frances or the Camino Portuguese or even the Salvador / Primitivo. All of which they have walked. The Vadiniense at that time of year is going to be like a rough day on the Salvador on Steroids and should only be undertaken by the sufficiently skilled.

I've pointed them at the snow records. I've assumed they'll monitor forecasts. They've time to plan. And, as I said, accommodation is going to be the big issue. All of the refugios will close by mid-october. I would not have camped at that time of year. I carried a full bivouac rig just in case.

If those estimates hold true it's going to be a cold November with some nights being very close to freezing.

What is open at that time of the year on the Vadiniense. I expect one of the albergues or campsites in Potes, maybe. Possibly the refugio at Fuente De, but on the other side, will anything be open between Fuente de and maybe Cistierna? I'd still carry a tent as there are two possible campsites on the other side, Alto Pico and Riano. Alto Pico comes across as camping in a field next to someones house with basic facilities, so they might be up for someone in a tent having a night, but don't know for Camping Riano, well not until about September the 7th when i hopefully stay there, but it looks pretty mainstream. They both have websites.

If the OP decides to walk, I wish them luck. I have enjoyed a couple of winter mountaineering experiences in the past and walking in snow in mountains can be a lot of fun, but also hellishly dangerous. But as the younguns say, YOLO.

Have a look at this and see what you think. It will at least dispel any illusions you might have about Spain being a hot country. Bear in mind that these are averages. The Picos are mountains and what is happening in one spot will be very different to what is happening on higher ground.
The weather site linked to shows highs and lows from the last two years. I was very surprised to see that in November 2022, the highs ranged from 77 to 50 (F). Last year was colder, with highs in the 50s almost all month.

Am I missing something? Of course, I know that a lot depends on where those temperatures are recorded, but those records make it look like the chance of snow is really quite low in those months.

(As an aside, I remember Ender telling me that the Picos ”used to” get their snow starting in late December through early spring, and that he could pretty well rely on that, but that all bets are off now).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My experience of the Picos is 20 years ago now. Snow cover was rare before late December but snow storms were an ever present threat in October. White out and thaw within 24 hours not uncommon. Hence the bivouac (and emergency rations).
As I recall the Vad follows the old Roman road and various 4 wheel-drive tracks rather than requiring open mountain navigation and runs eastward of my familiar ground. If I had access to my maps I’d take a proper look. Nonetheless it would be an adventure worth exploring if it’s adventure the OP is looking for.

My husband and I walked the Lebaniego Vadiniense in October 2019. Out of Fuente De the weather was beautiful…..and then the snow started. All the markers were covered, but luckily a mountain truck drove through and we hurried to follow its track before it was covered. Definitely unnerving.

We plan to start from S. Vicente b. on 3 November 2023 and walk to Leon.
Do you think the weather in this period of the year is suit safe walking?
Thanks'
Emanuel
I did it in November 2022. I got as far as Portilla de la Reina. It was no longer safe due to weather to move forward. There were no buses, I had to get a cab from Potes to pick me up and take me down to S. Vicente (250.00€). The buses from Potes to Espinama stop operating at the eve of October. Most accommodations close in October.
I hike a lot, but it was not safe to go after Espinama, a little dust of snow, changes everything. The terrain, the arrows, and even with a good GPS, people get lost. If you continue you MUST carry your tent a good sleeping back, also provisions.
I went back this year in April, and started in Espinama. It was absolutely beautiful, and SAFE. If I was you, I would do it next year. I would not recommend doing it in November.

Buen Camino

Texas guy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back