A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Camino Manchego

Camino(s) past & future
Voie de Soulac, Frances, De La Plata, Sureste/Levante, Manchego.
I'm looking at walking the Camino Manchego (Ciudad Real to Toledo) with some Ruta Don Quijote variations in May next year.

I'd welcome any thoughts/recommendations/comments.

Particularly looking for a list of albergues/acogidas along the way.

Something along these lines:

Day 1 - Ciudad Real to Malagon (29 kms)
Day 2 - Malagon to Urda (30 kms)
Day 3 - Urda to Orgaz (37 kms)
Day 4 - Orgaz - Toledo (36 kms)
/

Advertisment

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C. Francés (2004-), C. Portugués, C. de Madrid, 1/2 V. Plata, 1/8 Levante, hospitalera Grado 2016.
No information, I'm afraid - but I'm looking forward to the replies!

Camino(s) past & future
Completed the Camino Manchego last week. It is something of a continuation of the Camino San Juan de la Cruz which starts in Granada and links up with either the Levante or the Sureste in Toledo. Mundicamino has the Manchego as a 5 day walk but I did it in 4 days (see my first post above). There are no albergues on this route, though it may be possible to stay in the Casa de Espiritualidad in Urda - I couldn't get through to them. So unless you are camping, its hotel accommodation all the way, which will set you back between 20 and 30 euros a night - another good reason to do it in four rather than five days.

The route is reasonably well waymarked and often follows one of the Ruta Don Quijote. I did get confused leaving Ciudad Real but that's probably true for me of every major town. Don't expect regular yellow arrows but it is generally obvious which way to go. It's the usual mix of path, graded track and tarmac.

I didn't get much of a Camino feel on this one. The walk starts at the Santiago church in Cuidad Real but without any sort of guidebook and very limited Spanish I wasn't able to encounter much else related to St James. Even the Ruta Don Quijote seemed a bit of a misnomer. Plenty of Cervantes' related statuary and street names but then again so there is almost everywhere else in La Mancha. Cuidad Real does have an excellent Cervantes museum, which is well worth an hour or two of anyone's time though only in Spanish.

The walk at this time of year (May) was particularly good for flora and fauna. Wild flowers of vivid reds, purples, yellows, blues along the wayside and in the fields. Storks, birds of prey, herons, egrets, ducks. I even got to see an otter, not something you get to see too often where I come from. The route in essence heads due North and parallel to the N-401. It takes you around and through various ridges of hills (Los Montes de Toledo?) and is by and large flat with the sole exception of a small climb between Los Yebenes and Orgaz. On the ridge are two fine molinos and a view that stretches for miles. From here you can make out the castle ruins of Almonacid de Toledo in the distance. The walk into Toledo from Cobisa is much more spectacular than the one I had used last time via Las Nieves and the motorway (see my post on the Levante/Sureste/Quijote thread on how not to approach Toledo). Mostly the Camino takes you through agricultural landscapes ringed by distant hills but there were some wetlands too - the river Guadiana, the Embalse de Vicario and around Guadalerzas. There are plenty of places to stop off for coffee, beer and a bocadillo. I reckon the longest stretch without any sort of refreshments would be about 20 kms.

Needless to say I saw no other walkers until I reached Toledo. You certainly need to like sun, solitude and cerveza.

Buen Camino a todos.

Alfín del Asfalto

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
You certainly need to like sun, solitude and cerveza.
"sun, solitude and cerveza" - if you add "sopa de ajo", that's as close as you'll get to my idea of paradise on earth.

Thanks for your description - it looks to me as if it might be possible to combine your route with the route from Murcia to Caravaca de la Cruz, continuing from Caravaca partly by the Ruta de la orden de Calatrava. If it works, that might be 2020 or 21 sorted for me.

SabineP

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Great post.
Too difficult a route for me but always in awe when I read reports like this.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
"sun, solitude and cerveza" - if you add "sopa de ajo", that's as close as you'll get to my idea of paradise on earth.

Thanks for your description - it looks to me as if it might be possible to combine your route with the route from Murcia to Caravaca de la Cruz, continuing from Caravaca partly by the Ruta de la orden de Calatrava. If it works, that might be 2020 or 21 sorted for me.

You may well be right, Alan. Without poring over the maps I couldn't say. I'd not heard of the Ruta de la Orden de Calatrava before but I did Google it. Caravaca is on my next hike (Ruta del Argar: Lorca to Mora/Toledo) in September so I may have more for you then. I'll post a resumé of that hike on the Ruta del Argar thread.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 142 26.3%
  • June