• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino newbie question

seedthesea

Time of past OR future Camino
April 7 2024
Hi everyone!

I just booked a ticket to start the Camino Frances on April 7th for the first time. A part of me is tempted not to bombard myself with all the research beforehand and leave most of the stuff for the actual experience. With that being said, what are some of the stuff that I must absolutely know before going? The only thing I'm focusing on is to pack light and appropriate for the weather. Thank you so much ☺️

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi everyone!

I just booked a ticket to start the Camino Frances on April 7th for the first time. A part of me is tempted not to bombard myself with all the research beforehand and leave most of the stuff for the actual experience. With that being said, what are some of the stuff that I must absolutely know before going? The only thing I'm focusing on is to pack light and appropriate for the weather. Thank you so much ☺️
Not sure if you are male or female but if you need a female packing list, here you go: https://marisahikes.wordpress.com/?...kaXPOnnpFrbbENcULoSAaSaEg-g0hyklRYm6NHbVw3ou4

Everyone prepares their own way, but I'm like you. I focused on what I needed to take with me on the Camino and getting there, plus making sure that I had allowed myself enough time to complete the Camino. But the rest of it I wanted to experience for myself first hand without being influenced by videos, blogs, etc.

It is useful to have information that you can fall back on for a plan B or C, like how to access transportation, how to make reservations if you need them, etc.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone!

Welcome, you should be fine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The less you know the better. Let the Camino present itself to you organically. Seems you’re well on your way. I too, like henrythedog only had my guidebook before my first, nothing more. No forum, no Facebook, nothing.

I’m so very excited for you being your first and all. You can never have another first. Trust in the arrows and God bless.
😎👣🌻 Buen Camino!

I would definitely know how I was getting to my start point. I would get a few euros cash at the airport or at the first ATM. You didn't say where you are starting, but I would work out how or if I was going to use phone service if I need to connect with anyone back home. Probably book at least my first night.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Picking up from some of the above suggestions, I would want to:
  • Have passport, phone, credit card and any required medications, when I walk out the door of my house. (In fact, have at least 100 Euros cash, and two bank or credit cards, preferably from different banks.)
  • Be wearing shoes that are roomy and comfortable and that have been tested on a couple of 20 km walks
  • Have a comfortable tested backpack containing light layers to prepare for any weather condition that might be expected
  • Know how to get to my start point
  • Know that you need a credencial if you want to stay in certain albergues
  • Know that donativo does not mean free
  • Know that you need 2 stamps/day on your credencial for the last 100 km if you want a compostela

It is hard to say what one absolutely needs to know. People have successfully and safely made it to Santiago who arrived not knowing all sorts of things I might think are "essential".

But I think you'd be really well served by the knowledge that yellow arrows point towards Santiago.

I will also echo C Clearly's point that "donativo" does not mean "free", as a donativo recently had to close on one of the Camino routes because too many pilgrims walked without that knowledge.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.