• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Newby!

Smiller

!hola!
I am doing my 1st Camino in September. I am starting from SJPP 12/13 September and walking right through to Santiago de Compostela. I am doing it on my own; I've given up work and am leaving a lot of emotional baggage behind so this will be a real challenge and an adventure. I am really looking forward to the walk, but also to meeting lots of new people. I can't wait! Any of you out there doing the SJPP route around the same time - I look forward to seeing you there!
!Adios! Hasta luego
Sarah :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Sarah

I am coming from Canada and will be 1 week behind you. I suspect I know how you feel as I can hardly wait either. All the best to you

Hasata luego

Michael

Hi Sarah,
You must be so proud of yourself to take such a big step in your life, leaving life & job behind. I hope you come out at the end feeling much lighter!
Joanne.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
hey sarah,

My name is Aine from Dublin. I am thinking of doing the Camino next month also around 6/7 Sept. For many reasons including a good get away from life..and a challenge!! i am wondering if i'll be able for it physically, i cycle alot but dont walk in a serious way..dreading the blisters and hope theres not mad scrambles for beds.. i so dont fancy sleeping on floors etc. and i want to take it at my own speed..have u got any other info i should know about..what is ssjp?! im thinking of flying to bilbao and flying to pamlona..?! any suggestions?![/u]

beampot said:
what is ssjp?! im thinking of flying to bilbao and flying to pamlona..?! any suggestions?![/u]

Hi !

From Bilbao bus station you can take a bus to Pamplona. There are six departures thursday 7th sept and it takes about 2 hours. You can check it out at http://www.laburundesa.com We took the bus in May, and it was a beautiful ride.

You can start in Roncesvalles (by taxi or bus from Pamplona). You will miss the spectacular (I hear they say) view on the top from SJPP (St. Jean Pied-de-Port), but you will spare your feet a bit the first day. We chose to start in Roncesvalles, and had a beautiful start with the pilgrims mass the evening before we left.

I guess you can get to SJPP by taxi from Pamplona as well, but I'm not sure. I guess there are many others at this forum that knows.

Buen camino !

Liv :D

aine

it's definitely worth looking after your feet so as to minimise the chances of blisters (change socks twice a day, air your feet every couple of hours, use modest amounts of strapping on vulnerable places) - and buy Compeed so that you can walk without pain even with blisters

as far as worrying about accomodation and beds, don't bother - my most comfortable night was spent on a matress on a landing - once you're on the Camino, you stop worrying and just accept whatever happens

mike

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Aine

Looks like beampot and spursfan have answered your questions already... but here for your benefit are my words of wisdom, for what they're worth!

I'm flying to London Stansted to Biarritz and then I'll get the airport coach to Bayonne. If I get there in time I'll get the mountain railway to SJPP, if not, I'll stay overnight and go SJPP the next day. Either way I'll be departing SJPP 12/13 September. I plan to return via Bilbao and get the ferry to Portsmouth; a good excuse to visit the Guggenheim Museum while I'm there.

I've been going a bit of physical preparation - walking with a full pack to get used to it, I've done about 4 10-12 mile walks so far, I also swim whenever I can (good low impack all over exercise - both cardovascular and toning). Luckily I have an old, faithful pair of boots that are well worn in. As for the rest of it I don't want to over prepare cos I don't to sanitise the experience, I want to leave some of it to fate - you know a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, wing it and see what happens type thing - much more of an adventure. I've no commitments at home (job, partner, kids etc.) so I can take my time and, if it takes my fancy, hang around a place for a couple of days.

You may already have it, but I recommend a book I got through Findhorn Press, its been very helpful - 'A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago' by John Brierley and it describes itself as 'A practical and mystical manual for the modern day pilgrim'. I've found it very useful. If you don't have it already you can get it through http://www.findhornpress.com.

Sarah :D
[/url]

Hi Smiler

Hi Smiler

I am Douglas (DJ). I will be just a few days behind you. Wishing both of us a great Camino!

DJ

Friend of Bill W, Friend of Dorothy

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.