• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Norte in January

thegodfuzzy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances(Done) going to Camino Del Norte
Hello folks!

I had a life changing experience in 2013 by doing the Camino Frances.

I am planning on now walking the Norte. In January through to February.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on accommodation at this time of year. I have had a look but can find very little information as to what is opened and not.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a flight yet but am looking at early January. Now feels like the right time to go and do this route.

Again, thank you ma friends.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, same goes as for any other Camino in the winter. Not so much open, short days, and on the Norte and Primitivo many places will have snow. So, up to you but you may well have to walk more on roads than you would like. Not all open places will have adequate heating, and you might find it rather lonely.

Aye, I'm not so fussed about the snow. I'm from Scotland...used to it here ;)

Aye, I know it's likely to be a lonely road, it's the only window I have to get it.

I'll think on and see if anyone can point some albergues that might be open. But thanks very much for the swift reply!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In that case try gronze.com which is in Spanish but you should get an automatic translation if you do it on a phone. They show opening periods and also show hotels. I'm from Glasgow too, at least originally. I wouldn't be there either in the winter if I had the choice, I'm living in France now.

Hahaha

What are the chances...I'm from Glasgow! Brilliant. France....lovely! Hope life is good for ye out there!

Thanks for the website. Will check that out and see what's what. I'm only feeling a real want to get this one going. Its been near 10 years since I was on the Camino and feel a pull.

I'll see how I feel...nothing booked yet regarding flights..but I've been poking about the sites.

All the public and parochial albergues in Basque Country have been shut down for some time due to Covid and will not be open. Additionally, there was talk today in Spain of a return of restrictions in that area due to a Covid case surge, so you may find restaurants, hotels, and other businesses limiting access very soon. If it gets worse, they may even re-implement movement restrictions in that area.

I walked Biarritz-Loiola-Bilbao this past October after many restrictions had been lifted and still found cheap lodging problematic in some areas. And that was before the usual winter closures you’ll be facing.

In short, it may not be the best time to walk, especially if you are hoping for Camino experiences of staying with other pilgrims, gathering for religious/spiritual events, or just traveling safely and cheaply.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have just been trying to secure spots for myself for the Semana Santa in PAril on the Norte and between permanent closures and high prices, I am grateful for the savings I have built up to take with me.
I don’t think I could brave the walk in January… and I live somewhere that sees sub-zero temperatures for days and days on end, and buckets of snow.
I recommend that you obtain the Wise Pilgrim App and start looking at distances and at what is and is not open. Right now I’m stuck with no place to sleep on 2 nights in the Semana Santa after I leave Santander.
I am thinking that I just might have to find an outfitter in Santander and buy a roll and a sleeping bag to handle those 2 nights.

Aye, I think its kiboshed then. I can't afford the hotels or pensions. I'll keep an open mind on it. I'm not fussed over solitude and I don't want to do festivals etc. No interest in that. I loved meeting folk on Camino Francés, it filled the experience all the more.

But really for me it comes to finances and I have had a look at the hotels and that's not doable for me. I love the camino for its ability to give me time and take it all in without spending money at great cost.

Thank ye very much all! The camino provides again. And I'm hearted by the replies.

I'll look to it further in year possibly. I have a small window at end of September into October, failing that 2023 and that would be 10 years since my Camino Francés so maybe that's just the way it'll fall.

Thanks pilgrims! And of course...Buen Camino

Aye, I think its kiboshed then. I can't afford the hotels or pensions. I'll keep an open mind on it. I'm not fussed over solitude and I don't want to do festivals etc. No interest in that. I loved meeting folk on Camino Francés, it filled the experience all the more.

But really for me it comes to finances and I have had a look at the hotels and that's not doable for me. I love the camino for its ability to give me time and take it all in without spending money at great cost.

Thank ye very much all! The camino provides again. And I'm hearted by the replies.

I'll look to it further in year possibly. I have a small window at end of September into October, failing that 2023 and that would be 10 years since my Camino Francés so maybe that's just the way it'll fall.

Look to the south, @thegodfuzzy. Starting from AlmerĂ­a might be just the ticket in January. Lots of albergues, a wonderful Amigos Association that runs most of the albergues between AlmerĂ­a and Granada, and with whom you can be in regular contact with.

The association updates its accommodation list every month. October’s list shows that many albergues and private places are open.

Maybe things will be even more opened up in January, or maybe not of course…. but I think starting south might be a better idea for a lot of reasons.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In short, it may not be the best time to walk, especially if you are hoping for Camino experiences of staying with other pilgrims, gathering for religious/spiritual events, or just traveling safely and cheaply.
I just walked the Norte. Many albergues I passed by were already closed. Many small hotels I stayed said that they would be closing for the winter. Many bars went out of the business after being hit by the pandemic. You will have to carry extra food and really warm clothes (or even a shelter) just in case you get stuck in the snow somewhere. Nevertheless, I believe that once a brave Scottish makes up his mind, none of these will discourage him. So I wish you a Buen Camino. Do reach out to us if we can be of any help. Oh by the way, if there are any open albergues, you will get this kind of enthusiastic welcome. He looks like a grizzly bear in an attack mode, but he was actually showing me his utmost welcome. It was in Santillana del Mar.

Attachments

• Welcome to My Alburgue 1.jpg
    Welcome to My Alburgue 1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Welcome to My Alburgue 2.jpg
    Welcome to My Alburgue 2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 36
I just walked the Norte. Many albergues I passed by were already closed. Many small hotels I stayed said that they would be closing for the winter. Many bars went out of the business after being hit by the pandemic. You will have to carry extra food and really warm clothes (or even a shelter) just in case you get stuck in the snow somewhere. Nevertheless, I believe that once a brave Scottish makes up his mind, none of these will discourage him. So I wish you a Buen Camino. Do reach out to us if we can be of any help. Oh by the way, if there are any open albergues, you will get this kind of enthusiastic welcome. He looks like a grizzly bear in an attack mode, but he was actually showing me his utmost welcome. It was in Santillana del Mar.
Do you have contact information for that albergue... and the full name? I have a reservation at Posada La Cabaña in that area, but this albergue is not one that I see in Wise Pilgrim...
Any assistance will be appreciated -- I won't be there until April 11...
I have found general information about the Albergue on different travel sites, but no contact information to it directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you have contact information for that albergue... and the full name? I have a reservation at Posada La Cabaña in that area, but this albergue is not one that I see in Wise Pilgrim...
Any assistance will be appreciated -- I won't be there until April 11...
I have found general information about the Albergue on different travel sites, but no contact information to it directly.
I found it on booking.com

I found it on booking.com

Yes, as did I, but I can't find a site of its own, run by the place itself. Which means that Booking is showing it as "unavailable" (as are the other similar services).

Yes. I agree with the other reply. The Mozarabe from malaga or almeria

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's better weather and I'd you have only a couple of weeks that would get you to Cordoba where you can get a train back. Gronze hasn't much info on this route but has the accommodations so maybe worth having a look

Hello folks!

I had a life changing experience in 2013 by doing the Camino Frances.

I am planning on now walking the Norte. In January through to February.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on accommodation at this time of year. I have had a look but can find very little information as to what is opened and not.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't have a flight yet but am looking at early January. Now feels like the right time to go and do this route.

Again, thank you ma friends.
My husband walked the Norte in '19 and in May/June. He bought a blanket to wrap around him because the temps on many days were very cold. Be prepared.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back