• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues May 2017

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This will be my first time on the camino and May cant come fast enough! I'm going solo but I'm anticipating on meeting people along the way. Anyone else starting from Lisbon in May 2017?
Hi Delta, I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in September and I did not see too many pilgrims while walking, at least until you reach Porto, then it is busier, once you get to Valenca / Tui, it is as busy as on the Camino Frances. I enjoyed the peacefulness.
Bom Caminho!

Hi Delta, I walked from Lisbon to Santiago in September and I did not see too many pilgrims while walking, at least until you reach Porto, then it is busier, once you get to Valenca / Tui, it is as busy as on the Camino Frances. I enjoyed the peacefulness.
Bom Caminho!

Anything I shouldn't miss along the way? I'm thinking of following the coastal route on the way out of Porto and link back up with the normal route at Ponte de Lima, would you know any about that? I've been told it's a better exerpeince leaging porto since the first 20km are busy and full of traffic.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anything I shouldn't miss along the way? I'm thinking of following the coastal route on the way out of Porto and link back up with the normal route at Ponte de Lima, would you know any about that? I've been told it's a better exerpeince leaging porto since the first 20km are busy and full of traffic.
Delta,

I walked that combination last spring and was glad I did. I got to avoid walking the burbs, walked along the Douro getting beautiful views of Porto and its touristy cellar area, and then just enough coast to enjoy it without getting bored.

The Brierly 2016 guide explains how to get to the beach to start walking north. What I did is walk to Matosinhos one day while touristiing and getting over jet lag, heading back to the albergue dor the night, and the next day took the metro to Matoshinos to start walking.

A word to the wise, do NOT take the route from Vila do conde to Rates that follows the aquaduct, take the road to the right just after crossing the bridge as you come into town.

Delta,

A word to the wise, do NOT take the route from Vila do conde to Rates that follows the aquaduct, take the road to the right just after crossing the bridge as you come into town.

Thank you so much! I have noted the detour in the Brierley book and the immediate right entering Vila Do Conde.

Cheers!

Daniel

Hey @Delta 43

I did the Porto to Santiago route in Nov - December recently and really enjoyed the solitary walking. I love Porto, Padron, Caldas de Reys and, do stay in Camp Angieras, Casa Fernanda.... and the yummy seafood esp in Parvoa de Varzim. I walked from my hostel to about 2 km before Camp Angieras and had to cab ther as it was blustery (almost got blown away) and vvvvv wet (I think this is only in Winter)

But, you will surely have fun.... Porto to Santiago is mainly level walking until the route to Rubiaes when it gets quite steep, but nothing compared to the Frances! But, you will surely enjoy this route... I did!

Bom Caminho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The coastal route out of Porto (I got the metro to Matosinhos too) is very different to the Frances and if you like the sound and sight of beaches and waves you will love this route. The experience of walking boardwalks by the sea with the locals on bikes, with dogs or just walking is something quite special and easy underfoot too!
Good luck and Bom caminho!

Likewise, like Anemone, I took the metro out of Porto to Matosinhos and started walking. It was a beautiful day and a lot of surfer riding the waves. The walk is on boardwalk, so very pleasant and there all kinds of little cafés along the coast. After Vila do Conde I walked to San Pedro de Rates, not via the aquaduc. Be careful there are quite a few narrow roads and very fast drivers and no shoulder... Of course I stayed an extra day to visit Porto, and prior, to Porto I took a bus in Santarem to go an visit Fatima, also an extra day to vist the castle in Tomar, well worth the time. Then in Barcelos, I took a day to visit Braga, I highly recommend it, if you have enough time. Also you need to reserve a bed at Casa Fernanda, in Lugar, beautiful memories of my evening with Fernanda!!

I also am planning Camino Portugues next May and will be traveling solo. I need to be in the Isle of Man by June 3 so am thinking of starting mid May. I am also planning the coastal route for awhile and then going central route. I think I will enjoy the ocean and boardwalks. Maybe we will see each other. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Likewise, like Anemone, I took the metro out of Porto to Matosinhos and started walking. It was a beautiful day and a lot of surfer riding the waves. The walk is on boardwalk, so very pleasant and there all kinds of little cafés along the coast. After Vila do Conde I walked to San Pedro de Rates, not via the aquaduc. Be careful there are quite a few narrow roads and very fast drivers and no shoulder... Of course I stayed an extra day to visit Porto, and prior, to Porto I took a bus in Santarem to go an visit Fatima, also an extra day to vist the castle in Tomar, well worth the time. Then in Barcelos, I took a day to visit Braga, I highly recommend it, if you have enough time. Also you need to reserve a bed at Casa Fernanda, in Lugar, beautiful memories of my evening with Fernanda!!

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I will look into all of this, thanks again.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, I will be walking from Lisbon beginning May 4...At least that's the plan. A friend of mine, whom I met in 2015 on the Frances, will be walking also. When do you begin?
Suzanne

Hi Daniel, I will be walking from Lisbon beginning May 4...At least that's the plan. A friend of mine, whom I met in 2015 on the Frances, will be walking also. When do you begin?
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, I arrive in Lisbon on the 9th and don't plan on starting my Camino until the 11th. I plan to detour to Fatima once I arrive in Tomar and again in Porto but I'm still figuring out those details. I most like will have a general idea and then just figure it out on the way.

Daniel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am most likely starting from Porto around May 22, and taking the coastal route out of Porto.

Bom Caminho!
Hi Zoula, I'm doing my first Camino from Porto in August. I'm also solo and am concerned about being alone. I'm thinking of going on the coastal route. Any suggestions?

Hi Suzanne, I arrive in Lisbon on the 9th and don't plan on starting my Camino until the 11th. I plan to detour to Fatima once I arrive in Tomar and again in Porto but I'm still figuring out those details. I most like will have a general idea and then just figure it out on the way.

Daniel
We decided to begin our walk in Coimbra and are now two days in. We've seen multitudes of walkers going south to Fatima. You will not be alone!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Zoula, I'm doing my first Camino from Porto in August. I'm also solo and am concerned about being alone. I'm thinking of going on the coastal route. Any suggestions?
Hi Cila, from Porto, you might be walking alone, but there will be pilgrims either in front or behind you, not a problem. I only did the coastal to Villa do Conde, which was soooo beautiful. Lots of cafés and restaurants, then I continued on the interior route. Also in August there are a lot of surfers and tourists, so you really won't be alone.

Hi Cila, from Porto, you might be walking alone, but there will be pilgrims either in front or behind you, not a problem. I only did the coastal to Villa do Conde, which was soooo beautiful. Lots of cafés and restaurants, then I continued on the interior route. Also in August there are a lot of surfers and tourists, so you really won't be alone.
Thank you!

I agree with Zoula. the coastal route is beautiful. I did it alone in Sept and although there are certainly far fewer walkers than say on the Frances, the Spanish tourists more than make up for that! I never felt alone, only very alive and happy being by the sea and feeling on a different type of Camino all together - simply wonderful!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I found the signage on the route to be very good mainly.I started from Porto by taking the metro to Matosinhos and then walking over the huge bridge and following the signs to Vila do Conde. You can walk from Porto cathedral and follow the river out of the city. I adored the boardwalk walking for the first part of the journey! I found it a bit difficult going from Baiona to Vigo but I think I missed some signage and ended up doing several miles of urban walking into Vigo, so hopefully Brierley's book will give you good directions for this part.
As has been said many times on this forum about the Portuguese coastal route - as long as you have the sea on your left, you are going in the right direction!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found the signage on the route to be very good mainly.I started from Porto by taking the metro to Matosinhos and then walking over the huge bridge and following the signs to Vila do Conde. You can walk from Porto cathedral and follow the river out of the city. I adored the boardwalk walking for the first part of the journey! I found it a bit difficult going from Baiona to Vigo but I think I missed some signage and ended up doing several miles of urban walking into Vigo, so hopefully Brierley's book will give you good directions for this part.
As has been said many times on this forum about the Portuguese coastal route - as long as you have the sea on your left, you are going in the right direction!
thanks. Brierley's book actually gives no descriptions for the coastal route, just a list of tourism offices, hostels, etc. no directions.

Sorry I thought Brierley's book had been up dated! The Brierley one I used was also not great at all for the coastal route. I downloaded some maps on my phone but the problem was, for me GPS cover! There is a little book called "The Portuguese Way to Santiago" which I bought. It gives brief descriptions of the 3 Portuguese routes including the coastal route. If you would like I can lend it to you and when you come back you can post it back to me. It is quite small and light?
Apart from that perhaps have you looked for the Wise Pilgrim app for the route? I have downloaded these for my routes this year and I think there is now a Portuguese one but I am not sure if it covers the coastal route>

I download the wise pilgrim but it doesnt really cover the coastal route. I am leaving next Thursday so probably too late for the book. Ill try to find the book myself but I appreciate the offer. I am excited and know that the nerves will go away after I have been lost at least once...hahaha. We got lost last year on the Camino Frances our very first day out of Pamplona, it just added to the adventure.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't bother buying the book, it sounds as though you will find the way -just keep the sea to your left if you are doing the coastal route.
I know what you mean about Pamplona and nearly every other city I have ever left on the Camino - right? left? or shall I just follow that person in front of me with the rucksack who looks as though they know where they are going???
Have a great Camino wherever you end up !

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.