• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues or Camino del Norte?

Kurt5280

Crazy Enough To Try It Again!
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: SJPDP to Finisterre & Muxia 9/15 (MTB) - Norte: Bayonne to Muxia & Finisterre 9/18 (MTB)
I am over 2-months back from my first Camino Frances (SJPDP to Muxia) and I now have enough energy to start thinking about my next Camino...deciding on Camino Portugues or Camino del Norte...biggest problem with deciding is lack of information on Camino Norte.
Question: Has anyone done both the Camino Portugues and Camino del Norte that can compare the both routes?
Question: Any recommended reading or maps on the Camino del Norte?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I bought both Brierly guides on the Camino Portugues and "The Northern Caminos" by Whitson and Perazzoli...but that is it in ENGLISH so far...and no maps so far either.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Haven't done the Norte... yet. So can't say anything about this one. However, if you're up for a food experience of a life-time, then Camino Portuguese gets my vote. Please don't get me wrong... Spanish food is fantastic. But Portugal is simply WOW. Prices and quantities will have you wondering... seriously. May the Holy Spirit guide your path. Buen Camino

I bought both Brierly guides on the Camino Portugues and "The Northern Caminos" by Whitson and Perazzoli...but that is it in ENGLISH so far...and no maps so far either.
I don't understand what you are looking for. Both books have maps. I am holding the Cicerone book in my hands, in between typing that is, and it most certainly has maps. I just opened th book random'y to pp.204 and 205, arriving to Santiago, it shows the larger towns, roads, the route, etc. Brierly is more of a sketch, but it will get you there. And it shows elevations with chevrons and double chevrons.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Haven't done the Norte... yet. So can't say anything about this one. However, if you're up for a food experience of a life-time, then Camino Portuguese gets my vote. Please don't get me wrong... Spanish food is fantastic. But Portugal is simply WOW. Prices and quantities will have you wondering... seriously. May the Holy Spirit guide your path. Buen Camino
Have not walked the Portuguese and I hear it is even less expensive than the Spanish routes, but my I say how tasty and generous the menu del dia is on the Norte, and that is saying nothing about food in San Sebastian, Bilbao, etc. On the Primitivo you are more likely to find platos combinados, and they are more of a family meal, but also only 6€ or so for plenty calories to refuel.

Ok, with the Canadian dollar in the dumps perhaps Portugal should be the walk for this Spring?

I have not received the Cicerone book yet...expect it before Christmas but I am looking for separate maps that I can put in a plastic see-through map case for those lovely 7-hour rain storms that I so much enjoyed on the Camino Frances...on the Camino Frances I had separate maps but what most pilgrims did was cut the pages out of the Brierly guide and put the pages in a plastic see-through map case...otherwise we had an America Pilgrims on the Camino event last week and just the pictures of the food on the Camino del Norte and the Camino Portugues made me rethink why I did the Camino Frances where I dreamed of any type of cooked egg for two-weeks (fried eggs, boiled eggs, soft-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, omelette, frittata...and mostly egg salad sandwiches)...I love the coast and seafood so maybe I won't lose 15-lbs on my next Camino.

Have not walked the Portuguese and I hear it is even less expensive than the Spanish routes, but my I say how tasty and generous the menu del dia is on the Norte, and that is saying nothing about food in San Sebastian, Bilbao, etc. On the Primitivo you are more likely to find platos combinados, and they are more of a family meal, but also only 6€ or so for plenty calories to refuel.

Ok, with the Canadian dollar in the dumps perhaps Portugal should be the walk for this Spring?
Fantastic choice. Portugal will be beautiful... but then, anytime on the Camino is beautiful. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have not received the Cicerone book yet...expect it before Christmas but I am looking for separate maps that I can put in a plastic see-through map case for those lovely 7-hour rain storms that I so much enjoyed on the Camino Frances...on the Camino Frances I had separate maps but what most pilgrims did was cut the pages out of the Brierly guide and put the pages in a plastic see-through map case...otherwise we had an America Pilgrims on the Camino event last week and just the pictures of the food on the Camino del Norte and the Camino Portugues made me rethink why I did the Camino Frances where I dreamed of any type of cooked egg for two-weeks (fried eggs, boiled eggs, soft-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, omelette, frittata...and mostly egg salad sandwiches)...I love the coast and seafood so maybe I won't lose 15-lbs on my next Camino.
I have not seen separate maps for the Norte, but have you thought of taking pictures of your guide with your smart phone and use that as a guide?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand what you are looking for. Both books have maps. I am holding the Cicerone book in my hands, in between typing that is, and it most certainly has maps. I just opened th book random'y to pp.204 and 205, arriving to Santiago, it shows the larger towns, roads, the route, etc. Brierly is more of a sketch, but it will get you there. And it shows elevations with chevrons and double chevrons.

I realy dont like the book. Its too thick, way too heavy and i think the maps are very unclear. Imo this is not the best guide, although i'm still not sure which one is..
If brierley had a "maps" version of the norte, i would go for that one.....if only :)

For sure the CP is much cheaper than the Spanish routes (at least the portuguese part of that route).
Where all prices on the frances went up the last couple of years, the CP is still extremely cheap for food, coffee ect.. And yes, the food in portugal is so much better, but opinions, opinios haha

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have got into trouble before for singing the praises of the Camino Portugues over the Camino del Norte but here I go again anyway.
In April/May I walked from Barcelos in Portugal to Pontevedra and really enjoyed that section of the CP. Starting in Barcelos cuts out the urban area of Oporto. I chose my distances carefully, staying at Casas Dos Rios (mentioned in Brierley) after Barcelos so as not to have to walk much more than 20 km each day. Prices were very reasonable in Portugal, especially for the white wine and white port.
In September/October I walked from Castro-Urdiales to Santander to see what the CdN was like and did not enjoy it. Most of the walking was on hard surfaces and main roads. I may be misjudging that Camino but that was enough to to put me off trying any more of it. There were very few perigrinos on the Norte while there were many more on the CP.
Again just my opinions and hope they may be of some help.
Afterthought: many stages of the CdN end in a seaside resort so if you were interested in walking and having beach holidays at the same time, the CdN might be a plan.

Afterthought: many stages of the CdN end in a seaside resort so if you were interested in walking and having beach holidays at the same time, the CdN might be a plan.
As might the Portuguese Coastal route ;)

Good point BlackDog. Now, why didn't I think of that. Maybe I will try the CP coastal in 2016.

I am over 2-months back from my first Camino Frances (SJPDP to Muxia) and I now have enough energy to start thinking about my next Camino...deciding on Camino Portugues or Camino del Norte...biggest problem with deciding is lack of information on Camino Norte.
Question: Has anyone done both the Camino Portugues and Camino del Norte that can compare the both routes?
Question: Any recommended reading or maps on the Camino del Norte?

I have not done the Camino del Norte. However having done the full Camino Portugues from Lisbon I can say that this was an incredible experience. I fully recommend it...good food ..nice people ..scenery etc and would take the coastal route.

Wish I could do tje coastal but I will have to skip the coast amd start in Valenca due to work restraints, but I am planning to spend a full day in Porto before coming home. 9/15 - 9/26. I am also going to take a.bus to Finisterre after Santiago...Well thats MY PLAN, the Camino and God mighy have other plans for my Walk!!

I took 5 weeks for my camino Frances in October 2014. But will have only two weeks to walk. I fancied Portugal. Any tips on which section for 12 days walking in May, not too arduous? Or shall I be systematic and walk from Lisbon?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Pilgrim Peggy,

I completed the Camino Portugues last May starting from Lisbon. With the time you have you can start the Portugues Camino from Porto as this will give you enough time to enjoy this route. You will have an extra day to visit Finisterre Do not miss Casa Fernada.
Attached is my schedule from Porto day by day....I hope this will help you.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• Ray Aquilina Camino Portughese schedule part - May 2015.pdf
    28.7 KB · Views: 36
Wow, thanks for this detailed response. I await my guide book to tell me the distances of these "legs" to see if I can do them. I am not as fit and ready as I was before so need a gentle first few days.
Thanks again.

Most read last week in this forum

Looking for segmenting advice on the Portuguese Costal between Porto and Vila do Conde. We originally considered starting in Matosinhos walking straight to Vila do Conde. That's ~23 KM. On paper...
Hello beautiful people. I decided and chose Portuguese route for my first Camino. I’ll come from Kyiv to Paris, and then find a way to get to Porto. Maybe I’ll take a flight. I do my last...
Bag is packed, weather forecast looks like rain, but we've got our waterproofs at the ready! My partner and I fly into Porto tomorrow evening, then we'll spend the night in Matosinhos and start...
Greetings from Porto! It is absolutely gorgeous here today and I am sorely tempted to linger a few days to enjoy it all … but the Way awaits and I plan to start walking from Matosinhos on Sunday...
We are ariving in Porto on May 27th. We want to forward a suitcase to Santiago directly so we have other clothes post our Camino. Could any one please recommend luggage services that will ship...
How low must tides be to prevent boat crossings from caminha to A Guarda?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back