• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reserve lodging ahead or wing it day by day on the Camino Portugues?

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/Sept 2018;
Sept 2023
Hi, I’m walking from Porto along the Portuguese Coastal route, starting Sept. 15, for two weeks. I plan to also do some of the Central trail depending on how things go. I am using a backpack. I have reserved lodging for the first two days, but I’m wondering whether I need to reserve more, or whether it’s possible to find lodging as I go along. I did the Camino Frances in 2018 and while I booked a few places in advance, I mostly just tried to find a place once I got to where I wanted to stop. A few times that led to some longer than desired hiking days because I couldn’t always find a place! How available is lodging during late September on the Portuguese trail? Any tips? Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the central (I did it in April) I would recommend booking one night ahead after Barcelos.

How available is lodging during late September on the Portuguese trail?
Not sure that you really expect anyone to answer this question, but I will basically repeat what @lovelyshell has said. I walked the Central last year, and the Variante Espritual this year. Last year I booked well in advance in Porto, and then some combination of a day or two ahead, or not at all if I planned to stay in a municipal, association or xunta albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Lizzie, I walked Porto to Santiago at exactly the same time as you in 2022. I bookedporto and Santiago from the start then I think I booked a day ahead where the municipal hostels had fewer beds. I could have not prebooked along the route the whole way. Just have a few more dollars on you in case the cheaper places have run out. Have an amazing time x

Not sure that you really expect anyone to answer this question, but I will basically repeat what @lovelyshell has said. I walked the Central last year, and the Variante Espritual this year. Last year I booked well in advance in Porto, and then some combination of a day or two ahead, or not at all if I planned to stay in a municipal, association or xunta albergue.
Quick question about the Espirtual. I may be walking it in late October/Early November. Do you know if the albergues are open? Is there a list somewhere that has accommodations? Is the boat running then or is it a crapshoot? Should I ask @jungleboy???:) Thanks

Hi Lizzie. I walked the coastal this past June. It is so beautiful. You are going to love it! I booked my first night well ahead, but after that, I booked the next night either the night before or the day of. There was always availability doing it that way, so I imagine in September it would be much the same (unless, like others have said, you are on a tight budget and want the least expensive albergues). Buen Camino! I'd love to go again in September.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I’m walking from Porto along the Portuguese Coastal route, starting Sept. 15, for two weeks. I plan to also do some of the Central trail depending on how things go. I am using a backpack. I have reserved lodging for the first two days, but I’m wondering whether I need to reserve more, or whether it’s possible to find lodging as I go along. I did the Camino Frances in 2018 and while I booked a few places in advance, I mostly just tried to find a place once I got to where I wanted to stop. A few times that led to some longer than desired hiking days because I couldn’t always find a place! How available is lodging during late September on the Portuguese trail? Any tips? Thanks!
Hi @Lizziewalkson, am currently walking the PC. Accommodation in Portugal has been scarce. With summer holidays until the first week in September and most of the coastal towns being popular holiday spots it is advisable to book ahead. Weekends are the worst, with very little availability.

Youth Hostels in Portugal work similar to Albergues (they take bookings).

All of that may change from mid-September, not certain on that.

Once in Spain, have found that the Municipal Albergues (typically don’t accept bookings) have all had beds. But the queues are long.

Small towns have very few options, so there is a tendency for all to stick to the usual distances.

Booking times (recommended) in advance:
- Portugal - 3 to 4 days gives you more options.
- Spain - 1 to 2 days if you aren’t using Albergues

Prices:
- Private rooms +€30 per person (rooms for 2, €80 to some eye watering amounts)
- Albergues €10 to €20

Happy to any questions you may have?

Am in Vigo tonight. For those who have completed or near completed the Portugués.

Buen Camino

Hi Lizzie, i will start from Porto along the Portuguese Coastal route. So may be we will meet each other. God look for the pilgrimage1!Mickey

I’m also hiking Porto starting around Sept 21 or 22, and will be taking the coastal route and and wondering the same thing about accommodations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ll be starting at Porto on October 19, starting on the Litoral/Coastal route and then probably switching over to the Central at some point. I’ve been wondering this same question and have booked my first night in Porto and have pretty much decided to just wing it from there.

Hi Lizzie. I walked the coastal this past June. It is so beautiful. You are going to love it! I booked my first night well ahead, but after that, I booked the next night either the night before or the day of. There was always availability doing it that way, so I imagine in September it would be much the same (unless, like others have said, you are on a tight budget and want the least expensive albergues). Buen Camino! I'd love to go again in September.
Like you,I walked Coastal, late May into June and had no difficulties.Booked one day ahead every day, at private albergues,varying in price from €13-€15 euros.Was never disappointed .
I've decided to walk the Ingles in exactly the same way in September and hope for the same experience.

I’m also hiking Porto starting around Sept 21 or 22, and will be taking the coastal route and and wondering the same thing about accommodations.
I’m also starting from Porto September 22. Will book Porto and Santiago but wanted to do day off if possible. Also wondering about accommodations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Quick question about the Espirtual. I may be walking it in late October/Early November. Do you know if the albergues are open? Is there a list somewhere that has accommodations? Is the boat running then or is it a crapshoot? Should I ask @jungleboy???:) Thanks
@lt56ny, I don't know. Others, like @jungleboy, might.

Hi Lizzie, I walked Porto to Santiago at exactly the same time as you in 2022. I bookedporto and Santiago from the start then I think I booked a day ahead where the municipal hostels had fewer beds. I could have not prebooked along the route the whole way. Just have a few more dollars on you in case the cheaper places have run out. Have an amazing time x
Thank you so much! How was the weather? Did you need a jacket or fleece vest, or was it warm throughout your walk?

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back