• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues or El Camino del Norte?

Doodles

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (May 2013)
Portuguese (May 2014)
Last year we did the Frances and this year we are trying to decide between del Norte and the Portugues. Anyone want to offer some advice, comparisons, insight, etc. that might help us decide. Would especially like to hear from anyone who has done both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not having done either of them I am doubly disqualified.
However, it would be useful to indicate the time of year during which you intend to walk one or the other. The Camino portugués is ranked second after the Francés (mostly from Tui to Santiago in order to qualify for the Compostela), which could affect your choice.

We are going in the Spring, starting around May 1.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There can still be some snow on the highest parts of the Primitivo in early May and the Portugese might be warmer being, I believe, at a lower altitude so this might help you to decide.
Having said that if you like mountain views, and are well prepared, the Primitivo is beautiful.

(Edit:- sorry I read your original post and then when typing confused which Caminos you asked about. I'll leave it here as it is an option off of the Norte :))

Last edited:
The Norte is longer from Irun to Santiago by about 200km than Lisbon to SDC. They both have a lot of asphalt walking but also some incredibly beautiful sections off road, the Norte has a lot more albergues on average for the respective distances. It rains a lot on the Northern coast, if you are not keen on this the times of year when it is less affected are usually around the middle summer months. The Norte and Primitivo have some really special Albergues along the length of them, however the Portugues has maybe the best Albergue of most caminos 12km before Ponte de Lima- Casa Fernanda. Both have variations, the Portugues has the Braga option after Porto and also the coastal route after Porto, the Norte has lots too many too mention, but after Villavicioasa(around 350km from Santiago), the major option is sticking with the Norte or going on to the Primitivo.

I really like the Norte, probably because it was my first camino, however having walked on the CP once,just recently had to change plans to go on a section in the interior of it because of bad news, this is put back to next year. I like both but i feel the the portugues from Lisbon at the moment is very challenging for the first few days, there are plans to change this by the relevant associations.

Mike

Chalk and cheese, so if you've the time to walk the whole of the Norte that's a good reason to swing your decision that way.

Mike, is Casa Fernanda an albergue? Fernanda and Jacinto as you know provide hospitality to pilgrims out of kindness - it's not their job. In fact they have to fit it in around their jobs. I just wonder whether the extra weight of expectation and numbers which this kind of praise of their 'albergue' generates will make it harder for them - who knows? And I'm not having a go, just suggesting we tread cautiously. Either way Ponte de Lima is possibly the most beautiful town on the camino Portuguese with many historical features and the town's albergue is beside the famous bridge and highly rated...!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mike,

You said …

"..just recently had to change plans to go on a section in the interior of it because of bad news, this is put back to next year. I like both but i feel the the portugues from Lisbon at the moment is very challenging for the first few days.."

Can you elaborate? What was the "bad news" and what do you mean by "very challenging for the first few days."?

Last year we did the Frances and this year we are trying to decide between del Norte and the Portugues. Anyone want to offer some advice, comparisons, insight, etc. that might help us decide. Would especially like to hear from anyone who has done both.
For what it's worth, I've done the CP. It was great and would do it again. A nice diversity of sights - coastal, forest, mountain/hills, rivers, etc. Good way marking. I thought the scenery in north Portugal was even more impressive than in Galicia. Buen Camino...

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back