• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - September 2021

GailGwyn

Time of past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi everyone. We're planning to walk the Camino Portuguese, starting from Porto on 16th September. Should have walked it last March, but ......!

Thinking of the first day out along the Senda Litoral, then divert inland onto the Central Route. Also hope to incorporate the Spiritual Variant along with the boat ride.

Really hope it goes ahead this time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The river section, sometime also known as the Via Crucis, starts in Vilanova de Arousa and goes to Pontecesures on the Río Ulla, to be followed by the short walk from Pontecesures to Padron.

There are 3 operators on this route, each departing at slightly different times, with departure times influenced by the prevalent tides.

In no order of preference, as the prices from each operator are the same, currently 20.00€ per person one way only, these are the operators

La Translatio / La Barca del Pergrino / Naviera Bahia Sub
tel : 00 34 607 911 523
naviera@bahiasub.com
https://www.labarcadelperegrino.com/

==

Translatio Xacobea / Tours Rías Baixas
(they operate the fast rib boat/launch)

tel : 00 34 680 733 990
info@toursriasbaixas.com
https://www.toursriasbaixas.com

==

Amare Turismo Náutico
tel : 00 34 650 410 322 + 650 410 323
info@amareturismonautico.com
https://www.amareturismonautico.com

Hope that this might assist

Last edited:
The river section, sometime also known as the Via Crucis, starts in Vilanova de Arousa and goes to Pontecesures on the Río Ulla, to be followed by the short walk from Pontecesures to Padron.

There are 3 predators on this route, that depart at slightly different times, with departure times influenced by the prevalent tides.

In no order of preference, as the prices from each operator are the same, currently 20.00€ per person one way only, these are the operators

naviera@bahiasub.com

==

info@toursriasbaixas.com

==

Amare Turismo Náutico

Thank you so so much 🙏 I was jusf thinking about that boat trip this morning. I assume I will need to book it, or maybe I could just see what happens when I arrive? 🤔

Thank you so so much 🙏 I was jusf thinking about that boat trip this morning. I assume I will need to book it, or maybe I could just see what happens when I arrive? 🤔
Not sure if there is a need if your there in September, when times are slightly quieter. This August I made a reservation by telephone, and the next day paid on boarding the boat.

Having taken the fast rib boat / launch a couple of years go and taken the slower boat this year, my personal preference would be the fast rib boat / launch, though this is a personal preference.

You may want to know that there is also a 'sello' / stamp for the Credencial if you take the river trip.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not sure if there is a need if your there in September, when times are slightly quieter. This August I made a reservation by telephone, and the next day paid on boarding the boat.

Having taken the fast rib boat / launch a couple of years go and taken the slower boat this year, my personal preference would be the fast rib boat / launch, though this is a personal preference.

You may want to know that there is also a 'sello' / stamp for the Credencial if you take the river trip.
Thank you again for your super helpful help 🙏🌻

There are 3 operators on this route, each departing at slightly different times, with departure times influenced by the prevalent tides.

naviera@bahiasub.com

==

info@toursriasbaixas.com

==

Amare Turismo Náutico

Brilliant! Thank you

Hi everyone. We're planning to walk the Camino Portuguese, starting from Porto on 16th September. Should have walked it last March, but ......!

Thinking of the first day out along the Senda Litoral, then divert inland onto the Central Route. Also hope to incorporate the Spiritual Variant along with the boat ride.

Hi wishing you a great Camino, I hope to follow in your footsteps in late September, I would be greatful for your updates along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi wishing you a great Camino, I hope to follow in your footsteps in late September, I would be greatful for your updates along the way.
I'll post updates along the way.

Sounds great, we are hoping to follow the same route,including the boat, starting Sept 5 from Porto. Will post along the way.

What great info! My wife and I will be leaving Porto on 24 September. We're going to ease into things by walking to Matasinhos the first day, then Vila do Conde, and then head in to join the Central Route. The Variente Espiritual is part of our Way as well, so thank you GollyGolly for the boat info! And roamingpaddy, perhaps our paths will cross? Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What great info! My wife and I will be leaving Porto on 24 September. We're going to ease into things by walking to Matasinhos the first day, then Vila do Conde, and then head in to join the Central Route. The Variente Espiritual is part of our Way as well, so thank you GollyGolly for the boat info! And roamingpaddy, perhaps our paths will cross? Buen Camino!
Thanks Boby, yes our paths could well meet as I hope to start from Porto around sep 25th

Spiritual variant is great. But pay attention to signs when in the forest. I got a bit loss there ( 2018)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

naviera@bahiasub.com

==

info@toursriasbaixas.com

==

Amare Turismo Náutico

Thank you 😊

Nice to hear there will be a few Peregrinos on the Portuguese Camino this September. Wife and I are leaving Porto on Friday 10th after a quick trip up Douro Valley. Buen Camino everyone, this one has been a long time coming.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nice to hear there will be a few Peregrinos on the Portuguese Camino this September. Wife and I are leaving Porto on Friday 10th after a quick trip up Douro Valley. Buen Camino everyone, this one has been a long time coming.
Husband and I are in Porto now, will start the walk tomorow morning Sept 5. Today we will explore the city and check out some of the Port houses, what a beautiful city.

Husband and I are in Porto now, will start the walk tomorow morning Sept 5. Today we will explore the city and check out some of the Port houses, what a beautiful city.
Looking forward to your reports. Bon Caminho

Hi, How has your first few days been? We arrive in Porto tomorrow night and start walking Friday. Excited doesn't come near 🚶🚶‍♀️

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi!
Good luck and Buen Camino to everyone who is walking!
I arrive Porto 17th start coastal on the 20th and then onto the Espiritual!
Wow it's nearly hear at last;been so long waiting to go!
It will be great for us all;being back enjoying the World at last!
Woody

Hi, How has your first few days been? We arrive in Porto tomorrow night and start walking Friday. Excited doesn't come near 🚶🚶‍♀️
Hi there. We are now in Barcelos have been walking 3 days. We are arrived in Porto on the 3rd which was a Friday and stayed until Sunday when we started walking. The city is beautiful but crazy busy so if you are starting out on the Friday it is probably good, you will avoid the crowds. When we checked in at the hotel in Porto they hesitated at accepting our Ontario vacination certificate but they were happy with the Canadian PCR test result so make sure you have it handy. 1st day walking along the coast was good but again very busy with beach goers. We stayed at a campground just before Labruge called Orbitur Angeiras-Lavra in a small cabin. They do not take reservations but they had lots of cabins at 11.50 euros each. They accepted our vacination certificates I pointed out the pivotal points in the cert. Are you planning on staying in albergues or private rooms? We are booking private 2 or 3 days ahead

Hi there. We are now in Barcelos have been walking 3 days. We are arrived in Porto on the 3rd which was a Friday and stayed until Sunday when we started walking. The city is beautiful but crazy busy so if you are starting out on the Friday it is probably good, you will avoid the crowds. When we checked in at the hotel in Porto they hesitated at accepting our Ontario vacination certificate but they were happy with the Canadian PCR test result so make sure you have it handy. 1st day walking along the coast was good but again very busy with beach goers. We stayed at a campground just before Labruge called Orbitur Angeiras-Lavra in a small cabin. They do not take reservations but they had lots of cabins at 11.50 euros each. They accepted our vacination certificates I pointed out the pivotal points in the cert. Are you planning on staying in albergues or private rooms? We are booking private 2 or 3 days ahead
Thanks for this great info. We're (hopefully) flying next Wednesday. We were considering staying at the campsite, at Labruge, so it's good to know it's open and the cost for pilgrims is reasonable. Feeling stressed about organising our pre- flight PCR (coming from the UK) and seeing reports of packed airports with long queues! Can't wait to go and so looking forward to being back in Porto. Did you take the train from the airport into Porto, or a taxi. Bin Caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for this great info. We're (hopefully) flying next Wednesday. We were considering staying at the campsite, at Labruge, so it's good to know it's open and the cost for pilgrims is reasonable. Feeling stressed about organising our pre- flight PCR (coming from the UK) and seeing reports of packed airports with long queues! Can't wait to go and so looking forward to being back in Porto. Did you take the train from the airport into Porto, or a taxi. Bin Caminho
We flew into Lisbon, the airport was pretty busy, social distancing was impossible but everyone was masked. We stayed in Lisbon one night then took the train to Porto. The campground in Labruge was good but keep in mind that they do not provide sheets on the rubber mattresses but do have pillows, there are shared bathrooms and no cooking facilities. The cabin was pretty hot but cooled off at night. There is a restaurant attached to the campground with pretty good food. Our second night we stayed at Casa Annabela in Rate, 40euros for a very nice room and private bath, they did notvask for our vacination cert. Picked up a couple of Covid antigen test at the local pharmacy 2.90 euros each well worth having just in case.

We flew into Lisbon, the airport was pretty busy, social distancing was impossible but everyone was masked. We stayed in Lisbon one night then took the train to Porto. The campground in Labruge was good but keep in mind that they do not provide sheets on the rubber mattresses but do have pillows, there are shared bathrooms and no cooking facilities. The cabin was pretty hot but cooled off at night. There is a restaurant attached to the campground with pretty good food. Our second night we stayed at Casa Annabela in Rate, 40euros for a very nice room and private bath, they did notvask for our vacination cert. Picked up a couple of Covid antigen test at the local pharmacy 2.90 euros each well worth having just in case.
Thank you. It's great to have news from someone with 'boots on the ground'

Thanks for the info, nice to have details from someone on the ground. And the Antigen test info for 2.9 Euros. We are going mainly private this time, some out of town Casa's, and some breaks in hotels - we have 2 days in Tui at about the half way mark.
Are you mask wearing whilst walking, or just in towns and villages?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
Don't forget Portugal accepts the cheaper Antigen test. Had ours at Boots today, certificate sent through in an hour. Also, it is available at £35 in Gatwick, but that was a bit close to the wire for us. Good backstop though.

Thanks for the info, nice to have details from someone on the ground. And the Antigen test info for 2.9 Euros. We are going mainly private this time, some out of town Casa's, and some breaks in hotels - we have 2 days in Tui at about the half way mark.
Are you mask wearing whilst walking, or just in towns and villages?
We wear our masks anywhere indoors but not while walking although there were a few times in Porto that we felt the crowd was too large so we put our masks on. Right now we are staying at the BWay Guest House in Barcelos, very nice set up a little pricey but I think worth it.

We wear our masks anywhere indoors but not while walking although there were a few times in Porto that we felt the crowd was too large so we put our masks on. Right now we are staying at the BWay Guest House in Barcelos, very nice set up a little pricey but I think worth it.
One thing I forgot to mention, bring some gum or mints especially when when flying. Between waiting at the airport, flying and then getting out of the airport at the end, wearing a mask for that long got really rank😑

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
Don't forget Portugal accepts the cheaper Antigen test. Had ours at Boots today, certificate sent through in an hour. Also, it is available at £35 in Gatwick, but that was a bit close to the wire for us. Good backstop though.
That's useful to know. I'll look into the antigen test. We're flying from Manchester and I see they do a walk through test. They may do an antigen test too. We're considering staying at the airport hotel the night before, so could get a rapid test early the next morning, with a 3 hour turnaround?

That's useful to know. I'll look into the antigen test. We're flying from Manchester and I see they do a walk through test. They may do an antigen test too. We're considering staying at the airport hotel the night before, so could get a rapid test early the next morning, with a 3 hour turnaround?
HM GOV would like you to have PCR test, but Portugal accepts Antigen test, provided they reach a certain standard. Boots and airport providers all exceed that standard . Check out Manchester airport website and look for Covid testing. Good luck.

HM GOV would like you to have PCR test, but Portugal accepts Antigen test, provided they reach a certain standard. Boots and airport providers all exceed that standard . Check out Manchester airport website and look for Covid testing. Good luck.
Brilliant! Thanks so much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi!
Booked a boots instore PCR for the 14th!
But after booking it thought to many reviews saying test results were late or never arrived!
So i decided to have a contingency plan and booked a rapid antigen test walk through at Manchester Airport for late afternoon on the 16th results in an hour(£32) i fly early on 17th!
OK so it may be all fine with Boots;but if it didn't arrive in time no test no fly!
Nearly two years planning up the creek.
So goodbye to the cost of my flight, cost of new flight on Sunday, wasted airport hotel cost and the price of my three nights in Porto around £400 all in so £32 didn't seem to much to risk!
Woody

Hi!
But after booking it thought to many reviews saying test results were late or never arrived!
So i decided to have a contingency plan and booked a rapid antigen test walk through at Manchester Airport for late afternoon on the 16th results in an hour(£32) i fly early on 17th!
OK so it may be all fine with Boots;but if it didn't arrive in time no test no fly!
So goodbye to the cost of my flight, cost of new flight on Sunday, wasted airport hotel cost and the price of my three nights in Porto around £400 all in so £32 didn't seem to much to risk!
Woody
That was my back up at Gatwick if Boots didn't deliver. £32 or £35 (Gatwick) is not much compared to losing a substantial amount of time and money.

Hi!
Woody
Great idea! Certainly given me food for thought! Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Brilliant! Thanks so much.
Well, made it through to Porto today with the Boots Antigen test and our NHS Vaccine passports. Interesting who wanted to see what.....
Easyjet...Antigen test only
Portuguese border control....Antigen test only
Porto hotel check in..... Covid Vaccine passport only.

Had a nice meal and a few red wines on waterfront in Porto to celebrate arrival.

Going on a tour of Duro Valley tomorrow and starting walking Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_205202823.jpg
    IMG_20210908_205202823.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Well, made it through to Porto today with the Boots Antigen test and our NHS Vaccine passports. Interesting who wanted to see what.....
Easyjet...Antigen test only
Portuguese border control....Antigen test only
Porto hotel check in..... Covid Vaccine passport only.

Had a nice meal and a few red wines on waterfront in Porto to celebrate arrival.

Going on a tour of Duro Valley tomorrow and starting walking Friday.
Fantastic! Thanks for the info. Well, my passport finally arrived. I've stressed over the pre flight tests, so have booked walk in Antigen testing at Manchester Airport. Have a fantastic Camino! Post pics.

Fantastic! Thanks for the info. Well, my passport finally arrived. I've stressed over the pre flight tests, so have booked walk in Antigen testing at Manchester Airport. Have a fantastic Camino! Post pics.
One upside I forgot to mention, the airport was quiet, no queuing at security, bag drop off or passport check 👍

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do you have any recommendations on accommodations? We are in the planning stages for next October and are it appears we will be doing a similar itinerary to yours. Tks.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.