• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portugues - Who is in charge now (path maintenance, organization)?

phagocyte

Time of past OR future Camino
camino portuguese central
Dear Camino friends,

you might know that unfortunately the Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima, who were taking care of the Caminho Portuguese for over 13 years, stopped their work due to official "tourism projects" who kept changing the path.

My question now: Does anybody has a contact/ knows who or which official organization/ office will be in charge for the Camino Portuguese (Central)?

Any kind of contact/hints etc would be very helpful and much appreciated!
Thanks a lot in advance! Obrigada!

Bom Caminho
äly

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ask Aurélio Simoēs from Lisbon, forum member here.
if you do not succeed, send me a PM
I am in regular contact with him via Whatsapp

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Camino friends,

you might know that unfortunately the Associação de Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima, who were taking care of the Caminho Portuguese for over 13 years, stopped their work due to official "tourism projects" who kept changing the path.

My question now: Does anybody has a contact/ knows who or which official organization/ office will be in charge for the Camino Portuguese (Central)?

Bom Caminho
äly

These are my impressions, but I’m an outsider, so who knows what the ”real story” is.

The Fátima friends did a lot of work on the Camino, but they were never “in charge” of things, nor did they purport to be. And their focus, obviously, was not primarily the Caminho to Santiago, but the Caminho to Fátima. The Via Lusitana,which is the Lisbon friends association of the Caminho to Santiago, is the group that took on the task of marking up to Porto, working with the towns along the way, and running the albergue in Alpriate. They are a volunteer association. They also have no real “power” to be “in charge”, but they have been extremely important in fomenting interest and getting things going. They are the ones who got the beautiful credentials approved, produced and distributed.

For years, the Spanish Galician amigos association took care of things north of Porto, but I don’t know if they are still doing that with the increase in local organizations and interest.

The central government and regional tourism offices have also taken on an interest in marking caminos all throughout Portugal, and from what I read, they are part of the impetus behind the routes from Tavira and Faro that @jungleboy has written about and walked.

I would say that, south of Porto at least, the Fátima group, the Via Lusitana, and the official government offices (both regional tourism offices and local municipal governments) lurched along until a defining moment in which the conflicts could not be smoothed out, and the Fátima group disbanded.

So I guess this is like most caminos — some volunteer organizations, some official government offices work together (or not) to mark the route (with occasional disagreements about where the routes should go, at which point local economic interests kick in).

Dear Camino friends,

Bom Caminho
äly

In addition to what @peregrina2000 said, there is a federation (https://fpcsantiago.pt/) in Portugal being responsible for making the routes official / UNESCO heritage.

And then you have Jose Luis from Via Lusitana (https://www.vialusitana.org/) being the president of the association of associations (https://rapp.pt/) in Portugal. It is true they do not have any formal power and also only representing the associations. But they are organising and making common guidelines for their work.

So, it depends a little bit what your official business is about.

And also, the routes from Porto and on is maintained by the Municipal and Tourism Office in Porto with fundings from the EU. And Viana do Castelo, Barcelos etc. is responsible for their areas. They do not have regions as legal entities in Portugal as they do in Spain. So there is nothing like Xunta de Galicia taking care of the camino based on the region like in Spain.

Best
Andy

In addition to what @peregrina2000 said, there is a federation (https://fpcsantiago.pt/) in Portugal being responsible for making the routes official / UNESCO heritage.

And then you have Jose Luis from Via Lusitana (https://www.vialusitana.org/) being the president of the association of associations (https://rapp.pt/) in Portugal. It is true they do not have any formal power and also only representing the associations. But they are organising and making common guidelines for their work.

And also, the routes from Porto and on is maintained by the Municipal and Tourism Office in Porto with fundings from the EU. And Viana do Castelo, Barcelos etc. is responsible for their areas. They do not have regions as legal entities in Portugal as they do in Spain. So there is nothing like Xunta de Galicia taking care of the camino based on the region like in Spain.

Best
Andy
Thanks for that explanation. I don't know that I completely understand this, but this does reduce some of my confusion.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for that explanation. I don't know that I completely understand this, but this does reduce some of my confusion.

It is confusing. But means the tourist office in Porto is mainly defining the paths and they are not asking anyone if what they do is right or wrong.

That’s probably why the association the OP mentioned decided to close themselves.

I know in our concelho (equivalent of municipality), there has been public money spent on marking the "official" path from Golega (the next municipality south), north to the woods south of Tomar (the next municipality north).

Funds have gone to the new concrete/tile standard waymarker signage, and to some large informational signs--the content of which is up for debate--they highlight the usual tourist/cultural/historical features in the municipality, most of which are off the caminho trail and of dubious value to the average peregrino. The signs also don't include information like cafés and shops along the way, which I would think would be useful. But they're a start, I guess.

They also have rehabilitated the bench/water fountain at our roundabout, which is definitely useful to the peregrinos! And one up at Atalaia, as well, I think. All the water is potable in this area.

I think the funding for this is split between the regional tourist office, which has decided that caminho tourism is a "thing," and our local government.

But no-one is "in charge," as far as I can tell. They can signpost where they want, but the peregrinos create the caminho.

Last edited:
Tomar seems to be the only municipality in the Ribatejo district (south-central) that is part of this federation.

Their link page, though in Portuguese, is useful because it has a nice local map and lists various accommodation including two low-costs albergues, one of which, Albergue de Calvinos in Calvinos (Casais e Alviobeira) north of Tomar, I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I don't think.

Their information says the new one in Assiceira is closed for the moment, which is a pity!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tomar seems to be the only municipality in the Ribatejo district (south-central) that is part of this federation.

Their link page, though in Portuguese, is useful because it has a nice local map and lists various accommodation including two low-costs albergues, one of which, Albergue de Calvinos in Calvinos (Casais e Alviobeira) north of Tomar, I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I don't think.

Their information says the new one in Assiceira is closed for the moment, which is a pity!

Do you know if the Albergue de Calvinos is open?

Do you know if the Albergue de Calvinos is open?
No idea! It looks like a fairly small town, with just a private person's phone number to call, for space. And I would guess that person doesn't speak English, based on my experience in small-town Portugal. It says "Gerido pela Associação Recreativa e Cultural de Calvinos," which means "managed by the Recreation and Cultural Asssociation of Calvinos," so likely it's some beds in their quite small recreation centre.

Note that it also says "6€/noite e por pax com banho e não inclui lençóis, toalhas e nem pequeno almoço," which I take to mean "6 euros a night with a bathroom but not including sheets, towels or breakfast," so it's similar to staying with the volunteer firemen, pretty bare-bones.

My suggestion would be to contact the Tomar tourist office and have them call. They're likely to have someone on-hand who DOES speak good English, and they're responsible for the information on their website and would likely be helpful.

Posto de Turismo de Tomar: (351) 249-329-823 (local phone number; if you're in the area, the 351 is not necessary); turismo@cm-tomar.pt

(from their page within that federation website: https://fpcsantiago.pt/municipio-de-tomar/)

Last edited:
These are my impressions, but I’m an outsider, so who knows what the ”real story” is.

The Fátima friends did a lot of work on the Camino, but they were never “in charge” of things, nor did they purport to be. And their focus, obviously, was not primarily the Caminho to Santiago, but the Caminho to Fátima. The Via Lusitana,which is the Lisbon friends association of the Caminho to Santiago, is the group that took on the task of marking up to Porto, working with the towns along the way, and running the albergue in Alpriate. They are a volunteer association. They also have no real “power” to be “in charge”, but they have been extremely important in fomenting interest and getting things going. They are the ones who got the beautiful credentials approved, produced and distributed.

For years, the Spanish Galician amigos association took care of things north of Porto, but I don’t know if they are still doing that with the increase in local organizations and interest.

The central government and regional tourism offices have also taken on an interest in marking caminos all throughout Portugal, and from what I read, they are part of the impetus behind the routes from Tavira and Faro that @jungleboy has written about and walked.

I would say that, south of Porto at least, the Fátima group, the Via Lusitana, and the official government offices (both regional tourism offices and local municipal governments) lurched along until a defining moment in which the conflicts could not be smoothed out, and the Fátima group disbanded.

So I guess this is like most caminos — some volunteer organizations, some official government offices work together (or not) to mark the route (with occasional disagreements about where the routes should go, at which point local economic interests kick in).
Dear peregrina2000,

thanks a lot for the detailed explanation! That is really great and helpful!
Very much appreciate the time and effort you made to reply!

From there on I can totally ask further!

Best,
äly

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Best
Andy
Hi Andy,

thanks a lot for your important add ons!
Great to have contacts and the links, thanks a lot!

Best,
äly

I know in our concelho (equivalent of municipality), there has been public money spent on marking the "official" path from Golega (the next municipality south), north to the woods south of Tomar (the next municipality north).

Funds have gone to the new concrete/tile standard waymarker signage, and to some large informational signs--the content of which is up for debate--they highlight the usual tourist/cultural/historical features in the municipality, most of which are off the caminho trail and of dubious value to the average peregrino. The signs also don't include information like cafés and shops along the way, which I would think would be useful. But they're a start, I guess.

They also have rehabilitated the bench/water fountain at our roundabout, which is definitely useful to the peregrinos! And one up at Atalaia, as well, I think. All the water is potable in this area.

I think the funding for this is split between the regional tourist office, which has decided that caminho tourism is a "thing," and our local government.

But no-one is "in charge," as far as I can tell. They can signpost where they want, but the peregrinos create the caminho.
Dear Friend of Barquinha,

thanks a lot for the "inside infos".
I unfortunately heard that some parts got confusing due to different routes.
I guess that is what happens when many cooks trying to cook a soup (if you know the saying ;)).

Best,
äly

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Dear Friend of Barquinha,

thanks a lot for the "inside infos".
I unfortunately heard that some parts got confusing due to different routes.
I guess that is what happens when many cooks trying to cook a soup (if you know the saying ;)).

Best,
äly

You're welcome, Aly. I think our area is quite straightforward. The irony is, from everything I've read, and a bit I've observed with local walks, the route peregrinos use now is not the traditional route.

(Detour in thread for historical info)

I suspect that pilgrims from Lisbon, before the 20th century, took the now-abandoned main drive heading northeast, lined with huge trees, from the Quinta da Cardiga north of Golega, onto a road that now is a scarey and unwalkable highway, the IC3, which runs between Entroncamento and the western outskirts of Barquinha and then past Atalaia on the west, heading north. (There actually is a tiny bit of Atalaia, just a few houses, that is west of the IC3 because the division between towns happened before the highway was completed.)

In earlier days, before the IC3 obliterated an old road underneath, the caminho followed this earlier road straight north to Atalaia, bypassing Barquinha entirely. Indeed, Atalaia, with its "mother church," is a much older town than Barquinha, as is the Quinta da Cardiga. The stone tower embedded in the QdC dates back to the 1200s/1300s, and is one of the Templar towers that protected the north side of the Tejo as the edge of the Christian northern half of Iberia, up to the Reconquista at the end of the 1400s. The Quinta was built around the tower much later--in the 17th century or so.

The Quinta da Cardiga is one of the favourite spots for Portuguese techies to fly drones and take video: here's one of them:

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back