• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino portuguese coastal

Kildare

Time of past OR future Camino
June 27th
First camino travelling with my two girls 11.and 14.
Arrived in Porto late last night our air bnb owner met us at the airport and took us to our Air bnb which is right in the centre of Porto. Small but perfect apartment. €240 for Two nights for 3 of us. Had some food down by the river late last night two mains and 3 drinks €35 in total as it was after 11pm it was the only place open for food. Food was OK. Plan to do some sightseeing today before we start walking early tomorrow morning. We are carrying our own bags which are 30 ltr packs. Never packed so little for a trip. Found it so hard to bring so little. Super excited and will keep posting. Follow me on penguins.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Kildare!
Have a fun day in Porto!
Not sure what your girls are happy doing; but there was jet boat rides up the river, Cable car ride other side of the Ponte de Luis bridge and a funicular railway up from the river .
When i was there in the evening on the riverside at a restaurant lots of live music.
While eating a band set up and started playing Guns and Roses sweet child of mine (perhaps not your taste)
At that age my kids were still at the "are we there yet" 20 mins after leaving home!
Hope the sun shines and you all have a wonderful walk.
Buen Camino
Woody

Thank you Woody unfortunately I'm only reading this now. We done a River cruise which was OK but did see the jets while doing this and wished we booked that instead. The girls are big soccer and Renadlo fans and he is worshiped here they even had a real life wax figure of him in one of the shops. Amazing. So this made their day and my eldest treated herself to his latest Jersey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After one full day of exploring Porto we start walking today. I awoke early (3am) to the sound of heavy rain. I took a chance thinking its July in portugal and didn't bring rain gear regretting this decision now. We are carrying our packs so trying to keep the weight down. We had a busy day yes in Porto started with breakfast in Manteigaria were we had Nata coffee and fresh orange juice. Highly recommended I will post the link. We
then walked to the cathedral to purchase our pilgrim passports.
The girls asked to do a river cruise so we done this which cost €36 for the 3 of us for 50 mins. It was ok. I expected someone to maybe give some history and point out certain areas but this didn't happen it was literally just a trip up and down the river but very relaxing all the same. We seen some jet boats while doing this and I think that wud have been more fun. Girls are big soccer fans and love Ronaldo who is adored here they even had a real life wax figure of him in one of the shops. This made their day and my eldest treated herself to his new jersey of course.with no 7 on the back. The restaurant right under our air bnb Mercadores came highly recommended and with large queues of people waiting for a table. We were lucky after a short wait of 15 mins to get a table at 6 for an hour with an agreement to be done by 7. The food was amazing my girls love fish and the smile on my daughters face when she bit into her seabass made my day. Myself and my youngest shared the seafood rice dish which was delicious. I had two glasses of house red and the girls had coke zero. We finished with homemade Apple malerguine and chocolate mousse. The bill came to €75 Which is great value for all we ate and left so full. After dinner we walked to Livraria lello getting their at 7.10 (they close at 7.30)we got a few steps inside the front door to be told their closing and come tomorrow. I explained we are starting our walk tom and won't come back but it didn't help we weren't let in. A reason to come back to the lovely city of Porto. I will attach links to the places we went today

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230708-044110_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708-044110_Maps.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20230708-044110_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708-044110_Maps.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20230708-045032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230708-045032_Chrome.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Amazing, sounds like you're having a great time. I set off today in the coastal route, sticking to the coast for the first couple of days before meeting back up with the offical coastal route, but I'm slow so you may well catch up with me in the next few days!

Day 1 of walking done. Matosinhos to hostel sardines.

27k including getting slightly lost and a detour at accommodation to get our key. I'm writing a blog on penguins under the name Stephanie Davin. Pls follow me.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1089991170.jpg
    Snapchat-1089991170.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-20230708-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20230708-WA0008.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-20230708-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230708-WA0006.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 74
Keep 'em coming! I'm planning on walking this route next spring. Could you give more information on how to find your blog? Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola - well given that the coastal route, is just that - right by the sea rain should be expected 1 day in 4/5.
Still as long as the backpacks have " their" rain coats then your clothing and sleeping bags/sleeping sheets will be dry.
Looking forward to seeing your posts. Big Buen Camino to you and girls.

Day 1 of walking done. Matosinhos to hostel sardines. 27k including getting slightly lost and a detour at accommodation to get our key. I'm writing a blog on penguins under the name Stephanie Davin. Pls follow me.
Looking forward to reading your blog. I'm set to begin in Porto on September 13th

I will follow you, but am not joining any more platforms, so just know I will be happy to see the posts although can't reply! Great to see the girls striding along. 👣👣👣

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Day 3 Viana to Afife 10k

After two long days of 27k and 22k we took it easy today finished early and girls had an afternoon at the beach. Today was very hot so our walk of 10k was very much appreciated. We had no accommodation booked but found a room for €40 above a tavern in Afife. The camino will provide.

Attachments

• FindPenguinsfindpenguins_story_t_64731013b41a55-88929767.mp4
    3.5 MB
  • IMG-20230710-WA0025.jpg
    IMG-20230710-WA0025.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20230710-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20230710-WA0024.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20230710-WA0023.jpg
    IMG-20230710-WA0023.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20230709-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20230709-WA0007.jpeg
    756.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3 Viana to Afife 10k

After two long days of 27k and 22k we took it easy today finished early and girls had an afternoon at the beach. Today was very hot so our walk of 10k was very much appreciated. We had no accommodation booked but found a room for €40 above a tavern in Afife. The camino will provide.
And April writes beautifully,
I am enjoying your Portugues camino so much!
Stay going, girls!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Saw your posts on 'find penguins' just there.. sounds like a great bonding experience for the three of you to remember! Savour the last few days into Santiago and don't forget to post it here!

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back