• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Primitivo shoes in July

SilviaMargarida

Time of past OR future Camino
July2023 CaminoPrimitivo
Hello!

I'm planning my first Camino, and it's going to be also my first multi-day walking/hiking.
I'm an experienced hiker even in more technical terrain mountain hiking, but mostly day hikes.

I don't want to be buying new shoes so I need some advice to choose from the ones I have right now... I ususally go for mid height due to an ankle lesion from running 3 years ago and really apreciate the ankle support for longer activities.

Right now I have my trusted hiking boots LOWA Renegade GTX Mid that I use a lot on more challeging terrain, also have a lighter and less rugged option, the TEVA Arrowood Mid. Never got any foot lesions with theese two and find them really confortable for me.
The lower and light options I have are the Adidas Terrex Swift GT and the Adidas Terrex Skychaser Lt GTX
I don't know these would have enough support and cushion for walking so many days is a row while packing heavy. I'm packing a 36L backpack.

Probably there are better options out there, but If you had to choose one of these for this Camino in the summer, for a first timer, wich one would you go for?

Thank you!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I suggest July trail runners that breathe as much as possible. If you are afraid of getting a rainy day, then pack a pair of waterproof socks with you.

July is an extremely dry month and weather will be hot.

From the shoes you showed, I would opt for the Adidas Terrex Skychaser.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would stick to the Lowa Renegades. You know them and you have the benefit of the ankle support.Experiment maybe with lighter socks?
Then again I am a pro boots person and would never be able to walk a Camino in trailrunners.

Are you truly walking the Primitivo in July? If you mean "scrambling over boulders" by "challenging" day hikes, based only on my reading, you might find the Tevas enough. It'll be about as dry as it'll get.

Actually, please post after you've finished. I'm hoping to go in mid-September. 😉

Hi, yes I'll go in July....not sure I understand the question?
I'm used to scrambling too!
I've decided I'll go with the Tevas.
Thanks everyone for the advice 🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
July is an extremely dry month and weather will be hot.
I walked the Primitivo in July and it was wet and cold with morning temperatures of 4 degrees, flooded muddy paths between Salas and Tineo and driving cold rain and wind on the Hospitales. I think it would be wiser to prepare for any type of weather on the Primitivo, even in July.

I'll be on the Primitivo in June coming from the Norte. I will wear what I have on my last 4 Caminos including the Norte and Salvador - sturdy hiking sandals and socks with waterproof socks for wet/muddy days. I've just walked from SJPdP to Pamplona with this combination and it's worked great.

It was very rainy on the Napoleon route, and the socks I had on under the waterproof socks were just damp, not soaking wet. Between Roncesvalles and Zubiri there was a ton of mud and large puddles spanning the trail. My sandals and waterproof socks were caked in mud, but the socks underneath were clean and dry.

Last edited:
I walked the Primitivo in July and it was wet and cold with morning temperatures of 4 degrees, flooded muddy paths between Salas and Tineo and driving cold rain and wind on the Hospitales. I think it would be wiser to prepare for any type of weather on the Primitivo, even in July.
I'm packing a light puffy jacket for my June/July Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo Camino. My wife was asking why bother packing a jacket for a summer Camino in Spain. This is why.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In the end it is indeed best to take with you what you are most comfortable with. Sudden gear changes will bring hidden surprises.

I did not mention how much physiotherapy, mobility training and strenghtening of ankles and hamstrings I have done to be able to do Norte with trail runners meant for road surfaces.

I just reached Portugalete on my 6th day. If I had lacked the ability to have at minimum a normal range of motion from toes to hips, then I would have been injured several times over already by using road running shoes in mountains full of mud.

A concious decision on gear and good physical preparation are important to guarantee a smooth Camino experience :)

Silvia, my level of experience is not much more than yours - day hikes etc, but I completed a short Camino (Inglès) just 6 weeks ago, and comfortable is good!! . Previously always hiked in boots, went for a light trail runner for the Inglès and loved them. But the Inglès has lots of roads, no real 'Trail' - unlike the Primitivo as I understand it.
Personally, I think you answered your own question. The Teva's - you've said they give you support, are lighter, but also comfortable .
By the way, when will you be on Camino? I'm currently researching a mid July start ( as of last night!) 🇳🇿

Hello!

I'm planning my first Camino, and it's going to be also my first multi-day walking/hiking.
I'm an experienced hiker even in more technical terrain mountain hiking, but mostly day hikes.

I don't want to be buying new shoes so I need some advice to choose from the ones I have right now... I ususally go for mid height due to an ankle lesion from running 3 years ago and really apreciate the ankle support for longer activities.

Right now I have my trusted hiking boots LOWA Renegade GTX Mid that I use a lot on more challeging terrain, also have a lighter and less rugged option, the TEVA Arrowood Mid. Never got any foot lesions with theese two and find them really confortable for me.
The lower and light options I have are the Adidas Terrex Swift GT and the Adidas Terrex Skychaser Lt GTX
I don't know these would have enough support and cushion for walking so many days is a row while packing heavy. I'm packing a 36L backpack.

Probably there are better options out there, but If you had to choose one of these for this Camino in the summer, for a first timer, wich one would you go for?

Thank you!
Hi I walked last year in LOWA Renegade GTX shoes as opposed to the same boots that I normally wear. Other than a couple of rocky sections where care was needed they were fine. It is the solid sole and good grip that was most important to me. Personally I would not have liked to have walked the CF aim anything lighter, perhaps my height and weight has alit to do with it and my normal mountaineering desire for sure footednes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Silvia, just completed the Primitivo. My trail runners were perfect for me. Members of my crew wore sandals the whole way. Nobody - repeat, nobody wore boots. Ok, I only saw about 30 / 35 people, but still.
I'm apparently the 'King of the Mist' -most days have started cool and misty. Short and long sleeved Merinos on, generally just for the first 30 minutes or so, today an hour - and I'm not walking before 8.00. One evening I even wore my light weight puffer jacket too.
The Hospitales was cool and misty - yes, pretty much the whole way. Without extra layers break's would have been impossible. It's very exposed - think wind. If it had rained and gotten cold, yikes.
By all means watch the weight, just don't go too light!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.