• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Sept Oct 09

ajp

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-October (2009), Sept-Oct (2013)
I am walking the Camino late Sept and hoping to finish up by first week of November. I would be happy to hear from anyone else walking in this time period. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is the weather, I have heard a lot of conflicting messages regarding what to expect.
I would be glad to hear from anyone else walking in that time period.
AJP
Victoria

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Victoria,
The weather itself is conflicting! You need to hear from people who have walked at that time.
For the past few years, the weather at this time in most of Spain was cold, wet, snowing and windy. They are experiencing a wonderful, early summer this year.
Last year in October and November they had unseasonal snow storms all over Europe.
Check my blog post on walking in winter for October and November.
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2008/10/w ... amino.html

Its hard to say what the weather will be like. But, it will be cold in the high places; could be cold on the meseta; will get colder and colder as you get close to November. Take thermals or silk thermal underwear and a good fleece jacket. And, take good wet weather gear.

Hi AJP,

My name is Dennis and I am planning to do my first camino around the first of OCTOBER,2009.
my concerns are similar to yours..re: weather and lodging.I plan to walk for three weeks.Starting in SJPP.I plan to walk over the Pyrenees and then bus it to approximately 200kms. from Santiago and attempt to make it to Santiago.I am gathering my equipment at this time and was wandering about obtaining an Altus poncho in SJPP.Any help with this would be appreciated.I am from Canada.

All the best as you prepare

Dennis

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Dennis: I will be a few days ahead of you out of SJPP, ( arrive SJPP on 26th) and looking at the weather related links provided by sillydoll is making me rethink my clothing; I will take more warm stuff than summer weight gear. Several people have recommended a rain proof high quality poncho to cover both you and the pack, but I think maybe a decent light weight waterproof breathable jacket might be a good idea if it is going to be cold and wet a lot of the time. I may take both. I always think of Spain as warm and dry, bit disconcerting to see all that snow at the end of October.....I live in Victoria so snow is not something we get a lot of.

Talk to you again and good luck with the prep.

Alan

When I walked the Camino in September 2007 (Logrono to Leon) the nights & mornings were very cool & towards the end, quite chilly & cold, but the afternoons on most days warmed up quite nicely.

Kelly

We walked from Sept. through the end of October in 2006. Some days it was so hot we were running from shade tree to shade tree and putting on lots of sunscreen, some days it was so cold our hands were numb so we bought gloves and warm hats. It rained 10 days straight and there was also a hurricane brewing near the coast. I walked into Santiago on Oct. 28 and was wearing a short sleeve shirt and had zipped the bottoms off of my pants.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
HI I walked 10 September-12 October 08 and had fabulous weather only 1,1/2 days of rain the rest sunshine and just right temps for walking. !!! You never know!!
Susanna :)

Susanna said:
HI I walked 10 September-12 October 08 and had fabulous weather only 1,1/2 days of rain the rest sunshine and just right temps for walking. !!! You never know!!
Susanna :)

Since I will be walking from around the first week of September to the first week or so of October(exact starting date still not set), I am hoping that the weather this year is as kind as last year during this time period!!!
Rita

ajp said:
I am walking the Camino late Sept and hoping to finish up by first week of November. I would be happy to hear from anyone else walking in this time period.

We will be cycling from Limoges on the Vezelay route to Santander on the Camino del Norte at the end of Sept/Oct.

ajp said:
Several people have recommended a rain proof high quality poncho to cover both you and the pack, but I think maybe a decent light weight waterproof breathable jacket might be a good idea if it is going to be cold and wet a lot of the time.

We walked the Camino Ingles in the first week of March this year, in a mixture of sun and heavy showers, including hail. Two of us wore Altus ponchos for the first which we found excellent. I put mine on when necessary over some or all of a sleeveless base layer, a long sleeved base layer and a fleece. With a warm hat and gloves I would be confident in October not to take a jacket as well. You could see pictures of them in use on our blog (see below)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Hermanita
A friend and I are walking the del Norte and will arrive in Compostela somewhere between 3rd and 7th October. We have a plan and part of that plan is to take it as easy as we want! We did the camino Aragones last year and kept to a tight preplanned schedule - this year we will be more inclined to wing it. Maybe we will see you in Compostela, where we will be staying at the Hotel Suso. This is a great little hotel which serves a grand plate of bacon and eggs form breakfast, among other things of course. Another great advantage of the Suso is that it is situated on one of the main streets leading to the cathedral, and if you sit at one of the curb-side tables just outside [drinking tinto, or anything really] sooner or later you will encounter nearly everyone you net on your camino. It is an ideal place to catch up on their stories, exchange email addresses, and to say [an often emotional] goodbye.
Buen Camino
Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan Pearce said:
Hi Hermanita
Maybe we will see you in Compostela, where we will be staying at the Hotel Suso. This is a great little hotel which serves a grand plate of bacon and eggs form breakfast, among other things of course. Another great advantage of the Suso is that it is situated on one of the main streets leading to the cathedral, and if you sit at one of the curb-side tables just outside [drinking tinto, or anything really] sooner or later you will encounter nearly everyone you net on your camino. It is an ideal place to catch up on their stories, exchange email addresses, and to say [an often emotional] goodbye.
Buen Camino
Alan

Hi Alan Somehow I missed this reply so I am answering now. I hope to meet up with you in Santiago and will make a note in my book of your name and your good recommendation for the Hotel Suso, I think I will like the idea of "sitting" (hehe), and watching people walk by.
Hope you have a wonderful Camino

Hi Hermanita

You said that you liked the idea of "sitting" and watching others do the walking. Last year as I sat at a table beside the Suso Hotel, I spoke to Vita from Cairns [Far North Queensland] who had finished her camino the day before and was about to start a 2 week holiday in Morroco. She stated with conviction that if there was any walking to be done in Morroco it would be done by a camel. She had, thanks very much , done quite enough walking and it was some one elses turn.

Buen Camino

Alan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.