• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino "the French way" in May June

Redrow

Hi,

My partner and I are from Cape Town, South Africa and are intending to do the walk in mid May - June 2012. I know this seems a long way off but these things have a habit of creeping up on one.

We are looking for advise on wether this is going a good time of year or is it really much better to leave it to September. We thought it would be good to go in late spring to catch the flowers and maybe the odd bird singing, but I am a little concerned it may be a time when more rain the sunshine will spoil the enjoyment.

Also, the use of Vaseline on ones feet seems to be the done thing, but at a recent talk in Cape Town, no mention was made of this at all, even though it was stressed to be careful of blisters.

Could someone help us with advise?

Many thnks in anticipation,

Rod & Alayne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

May-June is a lovely time to walk the Camino Frances. As for weather, it's a toss-up, really. I would take rain gear. When I walked this Way in May-June, we had rain for only 4 days out of the 30-some that we walked. Others have had more. So be prepared but unworried!

I recommend vaseline. It doesn't help everybody, but it doesn't hurt either. Combined with appropriate socks and well-fitting boots/shoes, you've done your best for your feet.

Buen camino!

lynne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked my Camino last year from May 22-June 23, I only experienced rain for 2 days before Leon. The weather was usually cool in the mornings, I would start about 6:30-7AM, which made the walking easier, it does start to warm up considerably in the afternoon, I would usually walk about 20 kilometers a day and arrived where I wanted to stay about 2PM, that way the heat of the day hadn't set in yet and get chores done, washing etc.

As far as blisters I did the entire 790 km and did not get a blister, I strongly believe in liner socks, if you are not familar they are thin nylon socks that you wear under your wool or synthetic hiking socks. I have tried the vaseline on other long range hikes, put since I wear the liners can't honestly say if if worked for me. Some people complain that their feet get too hot with the liners, but I'd rather put up with that then blisters.

I am also from South Africa (Durban) and am walking the Camino from late April through May. I recently attended the Confraternity of St James workshop in Durban where Father Stephen who completed it in September last year, was the guest speaker. He specifically mentioned that Vicks was now being used instead of vaseline, but I am not sure of the reason for it.

Many thanks for the reply's and advice.

We have also been advised to by trainers that are two sizes bigger then the normal shoe size. Does this make sence as it is supposed to be the more comfortable option. I can sort of understand why, but two sizes is a fair amount of space in the shoe.

Rod & Alayne

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would be a little careful about the two sizes bigger. Blisters are caused by friction and the looser the shoe the more room there is for movement.

I can't imagine why Vicks would be any better than Vaseline as the purpose is to lubricate and lessen the friction. Never tried it myself.

Dear Rod and Alayne, after 3000 km on pilgrim trails in Europe, my personal opinion is that boots should not be too large. I wear 1.5 size bigger than my normal size and use thinnish wicking dry socks by Nike. The boots are somewhat snug, but not tight or short enough to cause pressure. My feet do not slide around in them, so basically no blisters. I found that showering in the evening is best, as the skin dries and hardens up over night. The one time I showered in the morning I got a blister between my little toe and the next one. I have had a multitude of footwear and struggled to find the right shoes for me, I have now settled on a pair of lightish Meindl boots, they are 90 percent perfect. It is hard to know how the boots/shoes turn out on your feet after a few days in different conditions and wearing a pack. All the best with your footwear choice, Gitti

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Dear Rod and Alayne, after 3000 km on pilgrim trails in Europe, my personal opinion is that boots should not be too large. I wear 1.5 size bigger than my normal size and use thinnish wicking dry socks by Nike. The boots are somewhat snug, but not tight or short enough to cause pressure. My feet do not slide around in them, so basically no blisters. I found that showering in the evening is best, as the skin dries and hardens up over night. The one time I showered in the morning I got a blister between my little toe and the next one. I have had a multitude of footwear and struggled to find the right shoes for me, I have now settled on a pair of lightish Meindl boots, they are 90 percent perfect. It is hard to know how the boots/shoes turn out on your feet after a few days in different conditions and wearing a pack. All the best with your footwear choice, Gitti

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think 2 sizes larger is a bit too big. Your feet will certainly not be anchored properly. You need room for your socks and for your feet to swell during the day. You will hve to be the judge when you are shopping. I would make sure it was my decision and not the sellers decision regarding the size. Usually, the seller has no idea or experience about walking the distance. :lol:

Redrow said:
Hi,

My partner and I are from Cape Town, South Africa and are intending to do the walk in mid May - June 2012. I know this seems a long way off but these things have a habit of creeping up on one.

We are looking for advise on wether this is going a good time of year or is it really much better to leave it to September. We thought it would be good to go in late spring to catch the flowers and maybe the odd bird singing, but I am a little concerned it may be a time when more rain the sunshine will spoil the enjoyment.

Also, the use of Vaseline on ones feet seems to be the done thing, but at a recent talk in Cape Town, no mention was made of this at all, even though it was stressed to be careful of blisters.

Could someone help us with advise?

Many thnks in anticipation,

Rod & Alayne

Greetings Pilgrims! I, like Barry, did the Camino last year during May-June. It is a wonderful time of the year to go. The best part is the weather! It is spring and everything is beautiful! I liked being some of the first pilgrims to be in the Abergues as opposed to the end of the season. (less chance of bed bugs, etc.) I had a few rainy days, but nothing that I couldn't bear. On the whole, I would go back again during the very same time. I began in SJPP. There was still some snow at the top of the Pyrenees but nothing to worry about it. It was blue skies and sunshine most of the way!!
Buen Camino

jennysa said:
....... He specifically mentioned that Vicks was now being used instead of vaseline, but I am not sure of the reason for it.

I find Vaseline does work. Applied to the feet in the morning before setting off and also after the evening shower. I imagine that the eucalyptus vapour in VICKS helps to keep smelly boots and feet at bay.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back