• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Trekking

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen camino @Tina-Marie Brownie I'll be just a few days behind you but unlikely to catch up!!
WildPlace, I would say there is everychance you will catch me - doing no more than 20kms a day with stops in all cities :) arriving into Santiago on 15th October is my planned date :D Look for me - my pack has Aussie Camino Walkers Patch, Camigas & Slow Strollers Patches and the Aussie Flag :cool: If you catch me I will shout you a Vino ;)

WildPlace, I would say there is everychance you will catch me - doing no more than 20kms a day with stops in all cities :) arriving into Santiago on 15th October is my planned date :D Look for me - my pack has Aussie Camino Walkers Patch, Camigas & Slow Strollers Patches and the Aussie Flag :cool: If you catch me I will shout you a Vino ;)

Will definitely look out for you then @Tina-Marie Brownie - I have this camino forum's badge on my pack so you may spot me too - and I'm always up for a vino :)
I'll definitely have 2 nights in both Pamplona and Burgos - both fabulous cities and lots of things of interest to do in both places - the Museo de la EvoluciĂłn Humana (Museum of Human Evolution) in Burgos is quite amazing and IMHO not to be missed. The cathedral and museum in Pamplona is also well worth spending a good few hours in - plus the pintxos in Pamplona are absolutely fab :)
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will definitely look out for you then @Tina-Marie Brownie - I have this camino forum's badge on my pack so you may spot me too - and I'm always up for a vino :)
I'll definitely have 2 nights in both Pamplona and Burgos - both fabulous cities and lots of things of interest to do in both places - the Museo de la EvoluciĂłn Humana (Museum of Human Evolution) in Burgos is quite amazing and IMHO not to be missed. The cathedral and museum in Pamplona is also well worth spending a good few hours in - plus the pintxos in Pamplona are absolutely fab :)
Buen camino!
Are you slow walking or sticking to the stages distances?

I'm walking slow - how about you? - I don't generally stick to the Brierley stages - I just have a vague plan on walking plus or minus 20km a day - so, for instance, my tentative (always flexible) plan for the first week walking is about the same as I did in 2013 and is:-

8km Orisson (8km but all uphill and hard going! I found it hard but i'm kind of old and a bit cronky and tending to a few extra pounds around the middle but also because you get a great experience at Orisson and meet other people, some of them become your camino family)
17.1km Roncesvalles (usually a trail of the "walking wounded" - people limping, hobbling, suffering from the SJPP -> Roncesvalles walk - leaving here when you are kicked out early morning)
21.9km Zubiri (because it's not a bad little town and it's too far to continue on to Larrasoaña)
23.2km Pamplona (2 nights here, hotel or apartment, long hot soak in the bath, pinxos, wine etc...:cool:)
19.5km Obanos (far enough...)
20.5km Villatuerta (also far enough...)

I walked slower in 2015 but was with friends who didn't have much walking experience so I started them off really slowly, they went - SJPP -> Valcarlos -> Roncesvalles -> Viskarret -> Larrasoana -> Zabaldika -> Pamplona (2 night stay) while I skipped the Zabaldika stop and went directly to Pamplona from Larrasoana and had 3 nights in Pamplona (it's my favourite city can you tell ;)).

I dunno, i've just met so many people with mashed up feet before they get to Logroño because they've done too much too soon or tried to keep up with other people. My friends were quite shocked at some of the tales told to us by people we met - their bad feet stories of infected blisters, nearly losing toes, instructions for no walking for two weeks, their camino being over before even half way through...

Sorry, i'm waffling now... ;)

I'm walking slow - how about you? - I don't generally stick to the Brierley stages - I just have a vague plan on walking plus or minus 20km a day - so, for instance, my tentative (always flexible) plan for the first week walking is about the same as I did in 2013 and is:-

8km Orisson (8km but all uphill and hard going! I found it hard but i'm kind of old and a bit cronky and tending to a few extra pounds around the middle but also because you get a great experience at Orisson and meet other people, some of them become your camino family)
17.1km Roncesvalles (usually a trail of the "walking wounded" - people limping, hobbling, suffering from the SJPP -> Roncesvalles walk - leaving here when you are kicked out early morning)
21.9km Zubiri (because it's not a bad little town and it's too far to continue on to Larrasoaña)
23.2km Pamplona (2 nights here, hotel or apartment, long hot soak in the bath, pinxos, wine etc...:cool:)
19.5km Obanos (far enough...)
20.5km Villatuerta (also far enough...)

I walked slower in 2015 but was with friends who didn't have much walking experience so I started them off really slowly, they went - SJPP -> Valcarlos -> Roncesvalles -> Viskarret -> Larrasoana -> Zabaldika -> Pamplona (2 night stay) while I skipped the Zabaldika stop and went directly to Pamplona from Larrasoana and had 3 nights in Pamplona (it's my favourite city can you tell ;)).

I dunno, i've just met so many people with mashed up feet before they get to Logroño because they've done too much too soon or tried to keep up with other people. My friends were quite shocked at some of the tales told to us by people we met - their bad feet stories of infected blisters, nearly losing toes, instructions for no walking for two weeks, their camino being over before even half way through...

Sorry, i'm waffling now... ;)
I think I am the same as you WildPlace, my hiking plan is the same and I will be taking 2 nights in Pamploma, Leon, Sarria and SJPD before heading to Finisterre :D am so excited and want to not miss anything. I have done my bookings for the first 3 nights of walking and except major cities have not booked anything else at this stage. I may book a couple more before I go - not sure yet. I also brought a gopro hero for myself for my 50th (12th Jan) and am going to have to practice talking to it haha - have been dared to do some stuff by my hubby - to get me out of my slightly shy self LOL. :oops:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also brought a gopro hero for myself for my 50th (12th Jan) and am going to have to practice talking to it haha - have been dared to do some stuff by my hubby - to get me out of my slightly shy self LOL. :oops:

Hahaha that sounds like great fun! Hopefully the camino will bring out the extrovert in you - hope you will be sharing the results ;)

<Says me who is also the quiet, retiring type...>

Well that certainly looks pretty distinctive :) Once I've decided on, and purchased, my new rucksack i'll post a pic - my old rucksack broke while walking the CF in 2015 :( I've been trawling the forum here for info on backpacks... I'll swap over the forum badge onto my new one though when I get it.

Though if you see a woman peering into a bush or across a field with binoculars that will likely be me - birds are my thing :)

By the way I heard back from Orisson, thanks for your advice on that!

Buen camino, from Yvonne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well that certainly looks pretty distinctive :) Once I've decided on, and purchased, my new rucksack i'll post a pic - my old rucksack broke while walking the CF in 2015 :( I've been trawling the forum here for info on backpacks... I'll swap over the forum badge onto my new one though when I get it.

Though if you see a woman peering into a bush or across a field with binoculars that will likely be me - birds are my thing :)

By the way I heard back from Orisson, thanks for your advice on that!

Buen camino, from Yvonne
Hi Yvonne, I have found the patches on my daypack (Osprey stuff sack) don't want to stick because I am assuming that it the ripstop material and the fact it is waterproof :confused: Wondering how to make them stick???? The ones on my normal pack are fine (go figure) :eek: I am glad you got a response from Orisson :D so glad I read it here on the forum and tried the translator trick as well :) Tina-Marie

Hi Yvonne, I have found the patches on my daypack (Osprey stuff sack) don't want to stick because I am assuming that it the ripstop material and the fact it is waterproof :confused: Wondering how to make them stick???? The ones on my normal pack are fine (go figure) :eek: I am glad you got a response from Orisson :D so glad I read it here on the forum and tried the translator trick as well :) Tina-Marie

Ooh, I don't know about sticking - I just sewed my forum badge onto the mesh part of the back of my rucksack - that rucksack broke 250km into my 2015 walk and I'm now in the process of researching new ones. I guess it depends on which one I choose whether i'll be able to sew the badge on because i'll not want to sew into the fabric of the rucksack.

Here's me in 2013 I like purple, can you tell?? :D...

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.