• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CAMINO VASCO through the hills and mountains, called SAIATZ trail.

Mendizale

Time of past OR future Camino
Exploring the mountain Saiatz trail/Camino Vasco
It is certainly a very picturesque and spectacular trail with mountain sightseeings that goes through the deep Basque Country. Saiatz is an ancient pilgrimage route but very few do it nowadays. https://www.tolosaldea.eus/es/que-hacer/la-ruta-del-interior-del-camino-de-santiago/ I live in Beasain and I know quite well the area, as I usually hike in those mountains. When reviewing maps, I see that the stage from Bidania extends to Zegama. Maybe too long and you miss two super top spots that are in the Vasco, the albergue hospitalero of Beasain and the small town of Segura. So in this thread I propose to join Saiatz alternative trail with Vasco route in Beasain in order of joining it in Zegama. I think that if someone asked me for advice, I would recommend that after Mount Murumendi in order to keep the Saiatz when turning right to Mandubia, you head straight to Mount Usurbe wich has spectacular views of the Goierri valley. And from Usurbe mountain, to walk down to Beasain joining the Vasco trail which comes from the valley and to go to the albergue hospitalero that certainly is a gem. From Beasain on next day I would keep the Vasco vía Olaberria, Idiazabal and Segura, until Zegama. Segura is a very nice small medium age village so I recommend to keep this Vasco trail once you arrive to Beasain. Around here we all use the Wikiloc app and it is a very useful mountain trail app. From Murumendi via Usurbe to Beasain: https://eu.wikiloc.com/ibilbide-sen...ium=app&utm_campaign=share&utm_source=6300530. All the best!!
Highly recommended to walk up to summit of Murumendi! It has stunning views of ocean, mountain ranges, surrounding valleys... Not in vane , the summit is an archeological site, under the ground there are the rests of an iron age village. https://historiadeguipuzcoa.blogspot.com/2013/02/exposicion-sobre-murumendi-beasain.html?

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It is certainly a very spectacular trail with mountain sightseeings that goes through the deep Basque Country. I live in Beasain and I know quite well the area, as I usually hike in those mountains. When reviewing maps, I see that the stage from Bidania extends to Zegama. Maybe too long and you miss two super top spots that are in the Vasco, the albergue hospitalero of Beasain and the small town of Segura. So in this thread I propose to join Saiatz route with Vasco route in Beasain in order of joining it in Zegama. I think that if someone asked me for advice, I would recommend that from Mount Murumendi in order to keep the Saiatz, you head to Mount Usurbe, with spectacular views of the valley. And from Usurbe mountain, to walk down to Beasain joining the Vasco trail from the valley and to go to the albergue hospitalero that certainly is a jem. From Beasain on next day you I would keep the Vasco vía Olaberria, Idiazabal and Segura, until Zegama. Segura is a very nice small medium age village so I recommend to keep this Vasco trail once you arrive to Beasain. Around here we all use the Wikiloc app and it is a very useful mountain trail app. All the best!!
From Murumendi via Usurbe to Beasain: https://eu.wikiloc.com/ibilbide-sen...ium=app&utm_campaign=share&utm_source=6300530
I am about 1km away from Beasain right now, and if I'd been in better physical condition, I would certainly have taken the Saiatz alternative. The bicycle track through the valley is brutal on the feet.

I am about 1km away from Beasain right now, and if I'd been in better physical condition, I would certainly have taken the Saiatz alternative. The bicycle track through the valley is brutal on the feet.
Yes I believe you, animo! Enjoy your next stages!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The best breakfast bar in town is Blues Bar, highly recommended! You can have very nice pintxos or tapas there too, it's a brilliant place, but not the only one as eatingin the basque country is a joy.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the Saiatz alternative 5 years ago, and I agree it is very beautiful! If you want to see more discussion of this mountain alternative, just put Saiatz in the search function and you’ll get a lot of posts to read! Some brochures here.

My live thread is here.
Thanks, eskerrik asko!

H!i if you are a pilgrim and you are thinking about heading Saiatz route, do think about a place to spend the night in the stage that ends in Bidania. There are no alternatives in the village other than a 4 stars palace hotel, maybe a superb experience after crossing Ernio mountain but for sure not cheap. I recommend to read the threads of Michael and Peregrina2000, they are some of that brave people that did the Saiatz trail. Peregrina2000 found a rural hotel in Errezil, a tiny village in the slopes of Ernio. Others have chosen to take a public transport (bus) to Tolosa wich is located down in the valley and look for easier and cheaper accomodation. Tolosa is a medium size town that is worth a visit around in the evening. And on the next day early in the morning they came back to Bidania by bus also and restarted the Saiatz trail. Regards to everyone! Sorry for my English, not native speaker as it is obvious 😃. I am basque as mother tongue

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is certainly a very spectacular trail with mountain sightseeings that goes through the deep Basque Country. I live in Beasain and I know quite well the area, as I usually hike in those mountains. When reviewing maps, I see that the stage from Bidania extends to Zegama. Maybe too long and you miss two super top spots that are in the Vasco, the albergue hospitalero of Beasain and the small town of Segura. So in this thread I propose to join Saiatz route with Vasco route in Beasain in order of joining it in Zegama. I think that if someone asked me for advice, I would recommend that from Mount Murumendi in order to keep the Saiatz, you head to Mount Usurbe wich has spectacular views of the Goierri valley. And from Usurbe mountain, to walk down to Beasain joining the Vasco trail from the valley and to go to the albergue hospitalero that certainly is a jem. From Beasain on next day I would keep the Vasco vía Olaberria, Idiazabal and Segura, until Zegama. Segura is a very nice small medium age village so I recommend to keep this Vasco trail once you arrive to Beasain. Around here we all use the Wikiloc app and it is a very useful mountain trail app. All the best!!
From Murumendi via Usurbe to Beasain: Highly recommended to walk up to summit of Murumendi, as it has views of ocean, mountain ranges, etc. https://eu.wikiloc.com/ibilbide-sen...ium=app&utm_campaign=share&utm_source=6300530
A Camino de Santiago or Donejakue Bidea signpost in the beech forest around Murumendi -Saiatz Bidea-. According to Basque beliefs, it is one of the living places of the goddess Mari. Once a year, in Beasain town's fiestas opening night, at 22 pm, it is done the performance "Mariren Jeitsiera" (the descent of Mari from Murumendi mountain).

Attachments

• IMG_20240307_114105.jpg
    IMG_20240307_114105.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
At least in Beasain if your idea is arriving to the albergue hospitalero de Beasain, speaking about having a good meal in restaurants: Asador Urkiola (the best top quality but not cheap. Awesome basque traditional food), Hotel Dolarea restaurant (good quality/price restaurant), Artzai Enea ( very good quality/price menú del día), Arrano Taberna (best good quality/price menú del día in town, know that this is a bit noisy basque nationalist tavern as you eat in the bar, no restaurant room), Aldaxka (cheap and big plato combinado dishes). And about traditional gastronomic bars to eat some pintxos or raciones: Bar Plazape, Usurbe Taberna, Basakana Taberna, Bar Kuluxka, Blai Taberna, and Blues Gastro Bar (breakfasts in the last one are the best in the valley!). If you are gourmet people and no worry about taking a taxi to enjoy a great meal, then I would recommend Itsasoko Ostatua.
Take in mind that menú del día are not shared, you order one per person. You won't find menú peregrino in this region. Traditionally ordering la carta we sometimes share first course and then each one orders a second course for eachone.

Last edited:
H!i if you are a pilgrim and you are thinking about heading Saiatz route, do think about a place to spend the night in the stage that ends in Bidania. There are no alternatives in the village other than a 4 stars palace hotel, maybe a superb experience after crossing Ernio mountain but for sure not cheap. I recommend to read the threads of Michael and Peregrina2000, they are some of that brave people that did the Saiatz trail. Peregrina2000 found a rural hotel in Errezil, a tiny village in the slopes of Ernio. Others have chosen to take a public transport (bus) to Tolosa wich is located down in the valley and look for easier and cheaper accomodation. Tolosa is a medium size town that is worth a visit around in the evening. And on the next day early in the morning they came back to Bidania by bus also and restarted the Saiatz trail. Regards to everyone! Sorry for my English, not native speaker as it is obvious 😃. I am basque as mother tongue
Hi again, Yesterday I did again Bidania -Beasain trail, and recorded in a Wikiloc track, my aportation for members of this forum aswell 😃, few asphalt. Took the bus TO 05 at 9:00 in Tolosa and I was already in Bidania 20 minutes later. Bus was perfectly in time.

The track starts from Bidania's church, follows the yellow arrows until Murumendi mountain and later after descending from mount Usurbe, the route crosses the most beautiful places in Beasain: the rural neighborhood of Erauskin, the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Ascensión, the Plaza de San Martín, Calle Mayor (we call it Kale Nagusia) and It ends at the pilgrim albergue located in the Igartza monumental complex (XVI century).

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back