• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Campagnano di Roma to La Giustiniana

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
Out the door in the darkness with lots of clouds and high temperatures and humidity already rising.
By 9 A.M. it had already reach 91F/33C with no end in sight.
Throughout today's trek I walked through endless olive groves and numerous plum tree groves. I found several small plums on the ground which I sample and while small, were quite sweet.
I finally reached La Giustiniana about noon and immediately drank 2 liters of ice cold water, showered and took a 2 hour nap.
Tomorrow I am getting up early and walking my final stage to Rome. This journey has long been on my "bucket list" and it will be great to have completed it in one go, injury free and on time!
Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 20230725_104232.jpg
    20230725_104232.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 840
  • 20230725_073634.jpg
    20230725_073634.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20230725_061325.jpg
    20230725_061325.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230725_061309.jpg
    20230725_061309.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yikes...don't put the mozz on yourself now Bob! 😳
In all seriousness though, your careful planning, experience, self knowledge/awareness & adaptability to current conditions have served you well. 🏅Absolutely hats off to you!
Not to bring the moment down but...what's the rubbish situation now? When I walked, it was piled up everywhere (but no strike) from just before CdR to Roma.
pile up.jpg
Enjoy your last day...a truly momentus occasion... 🤗
👣🌏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Out the door in the darkness with lots of clouds and high temperatures and humidity already rising.
Throughout today's trek I walked through endless olive groves and numerous plum tree groves. I found several small plums on the ground which I sample and while small, were quite sweet.
I finally reached La Giustiniana about noon and immediately drank 2 liters of ice cold water, showered and took a 2 hour nap.
Tomorrow I am getting up early and walking my final stage to Rome. This journey has long been on my "bucket list" and it will be great to have completed it in one go, injury free and on time!
Stay tuned!
SWEEEET!! Enjoy the final miles. Been a great inspiration to read your posts and know I'm going to be on that route in three weeks... Hope the post-camino recovery is swift and your next one is on the planning board already. Buon cammino!

@Tassie Kaz - Unfortunately, the problem still exists.
Through the numerous times I've been to Rome the eyesore has never gone away. A real shame for a city rich with history.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bob from L.A.!,

What wonderful news your arrival is! Félicitations !
It is a pleasure for those of us who followed your journey to share your pleasure now. Thank you for sharing your daily thoughts and wonderful photos here on the forum.
May the sunset tonight over Rome and your day tomorrow at the Vatican be splendid. Carpe diem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow - what an amazing trip -- such excellent planning!!!! Congratulations! I hope you have a good celebration in Rome (whatever that would look like for you!).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bob, did you have a "favorite section" you walked of the "whole nine yards" if you were asked the question?😅...eliminating the heat you endured of course.
Edit- and how about you, Kaz?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Stay tuned!
We struggled a bit to find the place to get our certificate. Go through St. Peters security. Better early AM or in the afternoon. Then go through the arch on the right side. Walk straight in. Look for a bag and coat cloak room desk on the right. The guy working that desk will stamp your passport and give you the certificate. Pretty simple process. We filled in the certificate ourselves.

@Camino Chrissy - That's an easy one.
As many before me have said; Tuscany is picture postcard perfect.
In my opinion you have Tuscany, then you have the rest of Italy.
Good to hear then, since I have already done the best last fall...Tuscany!
I assume then that going through France and a small portion of Switzerland were not quite as enticing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bob, did you have a "favorite section" you walked of the "whole nine yards" if you were asked the question?😅...eliminating the heat you endured of course.
Edit- and how about you, Kaz?
Thanks for asking Chrissy!
For me it was hands down the Aosta Valley...I loved every minute starting on the Swiss side all the way 'til the mountains disappeared in my rear view mirror 🥹...& I did lots of looking back over my shoulder so sad was I to leave it behind... 😭🤗
That's an easy one.
Tuscany...hmm...not so for me & some others walking the same time. Don't get me wrong...I liked it but didn't love it. Apart from rampant & untameable hayfever (which may have been an influence) I found the countryside scenery perhaps a bit similar to Aus...it was only the villas which brought me back to where I actually was! Having said that, I did love the towns..even the busy touristy ones although I felt a tad out of place in my, by now, well worn grubby gear & clothes 🤭 😄
Switzerland, yes.
France, not so much
Yep, agree...but France had it's merits; wide open spaces, the horror of the war cemeteries, walking the canals & the sight of pylons & wind turbines marching to the horizon will stay with me forever. 😌 I personally would not feel I had walked the VF without doing France...& the feeling of accomplishment walking across an entire country was a bonus.
No offence at all to anyone who has/will walk a shorter version...but I would encourage you to 'fill the gap' with other sections when/if you can. 🥰
👣🌏

I personally would not feel I had walked the VF without doing France...& the feeling of accomplishment walking across an entire country was a bonus.
I feel the same. I do have something of an obsession about walking a pilgrimage route from start to finish. I did relax my personal rule slightly by taking a P&O ferry from Dover rather than swimming the Channel. I'm not quite arrogant enough to have tried walking it either.... I was quite glad in retrospect to have walked into Piacenza along the river bank rather than taking Danilo's ferry. For me the emotional highlight of the journey was not arriving in Rome. In school I had read John Hillaby's book about walking from the English Channel to the Mediterranean. It had left a deep impression on me that I was not fully aware of at the time. Oddly the book had not crossed my mind until I reached the shoreline near Massa. Then I realised that like John Hillaby I had just crossed the continent on foot from sea to sea. Something my teenage self would never have thought of doing.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I feel the same. I do have something of an obsession about walking a pilgrimage route from start to finish. I did relax my personal rule slightly by taking a P&O ferry from Dover rather than swimming the Channel. I'm not quite arrogant enough to have tried walking it either....
🤗 Bradypus, you are indeed a treasure! 😆
For me the emotional highlight of the journey was not arriving in Rome...

Oddly the book had not crossed my mind until I reached the shoreline near Massa. Then I realised that like John Hillaby I had just crossed the continent on foot from sea to sea. Something my teenage self would never have thought of doing.
Yep, I haven't read the book you mention (l will now seek it out) but it was Marina di Massa that did it for me too.
Although I no longer live by the sea, I'm still a coastal girl at heart. I could barely contain myself when the ocean came into view; I bolted for the waters edge, discarding shoes & socks mid-stride...realising how long it had been & how far I'd come since I last saw it. Brings a tear to my eyes to this day. 🥹
🙏 Roland.
👣🌏

Thanks for asking Chrissy!
For me it was hands down the Aosta Valley...I loved every minute starting on the Swiss side all the way 'til the mountains disappeared in my rear view mirror 🥹...& I did lots of looking back over my shoulder so sad was I to leave it behind... 😭🤗

Tuscany...hmm...not so for me & some others walking the same time. Don't get me wrong...I liked it but didn't love it. Apart from rampant & untameable hayfever (which may have been an influence) I found the countryside scenery perhaps a bit similar to Aus...it was only the villas which brought me back to where I actually was! Having said that, I did love the towns..even the busy touristy ones although I felt a tad out of place in my, by now, well worn grubby gear & clothes 🤭 😄

Yep, agree...but France had it's merits; wide open spaces, the horror of the war cemeteries, walking the canals & the sight of pylons & wind turbines marching to the horizon will stay with me forever. 😌 I personally would not feel I had walked the VF without doing France...& the feeling of accomplishment walking across an entire country was a bonus.
No offence at all to anyone who has/will walk a shorter version...but I would encourage you to 'fill the gap' with other sections when/if you can. 🥰
👣🌏
Well, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? Thanks for sharing your personal insights, Kaz! I'm glad I asked.🙂

Well, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? Thanks for sharing your personal insights, Kaz! I'm glad I asked.🙂
Yes...& it takes different forms too. An example; I love wind turbines but others think they're a blight on the landscape.

But wouldn't it be dull if we were all the same? I love discovering what pops the cork 🍾 or burns the toast 🍞 of others...brings a different perspective to what I see. 🤗
👣🌏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Camino Chrissy - That's an easy one.
We haven't done our first Camino yet - it's coming this Sept. Vigo to Santiago. But I'm planning for the next one already - husband wants to do Tuscany - I assume you recommend that portion based on your posts.

@BarbC - Take a look at Milan to Pavia to Siena.
I did this as part of a longer trip to Rome 3 years ago.
It goes through Tuscany, but includes larger cities as well

We haven't done our first Camino yet - it's coming this Sept. Vigo to Santiago. But I'm planning for the next one already - husband wants to do Tuscany - I assume you recommend that portion based on your posts.
I started in Lucca and on to Rome. I loved all of that section and highly recommend it, but can not speak to the whole Via Francigena from Canterbury. Post #20 has a differing opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl
Can't get into the official Via Francigena site. I've used it for years, but today all I get when I try to enter it is 'File not found". For example, if I enter...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.