• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rome to Santa Maria di Leuca

Sunic68

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago March 22
Aosta to Rome April 23
Evening all! My husband and I recently walked the Aosta to Rome stages and absolutely loved it. We are starting to research the next stages to Santa Maria for possibly doing next year. Can anyone recommend a guide book for this as I can’t seem to find one. I have the stages on the Via Francigena app but I like to have a guide in paper too! Many thanks and Buen Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Evening all! My husband and I recently walked the Aosta to Rome stages and absolutely loved it. We are starting to research the next stages to Santa Maria for possibly doing next year. Can anyone recommend a guide book for this as I can’t seem to find one. I have the stages on the Via Francigena app but I like to have a guide in paper too! Many thanks and Buen Camino!!
Welcome @Sunic68
There is a pretty new book just out....in Italian.....from Terre di Mezzo. Before this there was nothing for many years. Very fine maps if you like maps. Lots and lots of information (and a lot of photographs too which add to the weight!). I did the route before it came out but I would have used it if I could if you see what I mean.
Waymarking in 2018, when I walked from Rome to Brindisi, was patchy, depending on local volunteers. I think there is a fair bit of enthusiasm along the way and marking is improving. I walked the final stretch from Brindisi to Santa Maria just before Christmas last year.
There is a Cammino di Salento - slightly different route from Lecce to the finish. But if nothing else buying the credenziale in Lecce gives you a great discount in a couple of hotels - no religious hostels down that way. And a big discount on a meal in the main hotel in Santa Maria - which is quite a small reserved place out of season. There is a very very good hostel in Lecce just south of city centre.
I am not aware of a book in English.

Last edited:
Thank you ! I will look into the information you have mentioned and will keep searching! Buen camino !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome @Sunic68
There is a pretty new book just out....in Italian.....from Terre di Mezzo. Before this there was nothing for many years. Very fine maps if you like maps. Lots and lots of information (and a lot of photographs too which add to the weight!). I did the route before it came out but I would have used it if I could if you see what I mean.
Waymarking in 2018, when I walked from Rome to Brindisi, was patchy, depending on local volunteers. I think there is a fair bit of enthusiasm along the way and marking is improving. I walked the final stretch from Brindisi to Santa Maria just before Christmas last year.
There is a Cammino di Salento - slightly different route from Lecce to the finish. But if nothing else buying the credenziale in Lecce gives you a great discount in a couple of hotels - no religious hostels down that way. And a big discount on a meal in the main hotel in Santa Maria - which is quite a small reserved place out of season. There is a very very good hostel in Lecce just south of city centre.
I am not aware of a book in English.
I’ve just found this book - it’s now translated into English!

excellent to hear that. That series is excellent. I think both books for the main VF are both now available in English also. They have a large collection of books on a variety of walks in Italy.

Last edited:
In case anyone is having trouble finding it, here is the link to the English Translation.

I have bought books directly from that publisher and also using Amazon's Italian site for delivery in UK with no problems. Usually come in 24 or 48 hhours.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recently purchased the English version. It didn't take as long as I expected to be delivered to California. I can't tell you anything about the book though because I haven't been home since it arrived.

But if nothing else buying the credenziale in Lecce gives you a great discount in a couple of hotels

@timr Where did you get the credenziale in Lecce? Trying to put together a short visit to Salento, possibly early next year so the Camino might be fun.

@Corned Beef There is a terrific hostel on the south side of the city about 1.5km out, in the former palazzo of a famous name for Italian food - I can’t remember whether it’s Olive oil or pasta or a drink!!!
They will supply you with the Camino de Salento special credential with good discounts. It may cost 10€ but you’ll get this back in a meal discount in the big hotel in Santa Maria. [edited to correct from Lecce]There are other discounts along the way.
Right now I’m in a tiny place in Alcanadre waiting on the street for the dueña to come and let me into the closed hotel!! When I get settled I’ll find you the details.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Corned Beef There is a terrific hostel on the south side of the city about 1.5km out, in the former palazzo of a famous name for Italian food - I can’t remember whether it’s Olive oil or pasta or a drink!!!
They will supply you with the Camino de Salento special credential with good discounts. It may cost 10€ but you’ll get this back in a meal discount in the big hotel in Lecce. There are other discounts along the way.
Right now I’m in a tiny place in Alcanadre waiting on the street for the dueña to come and let me into the closed hotel!! When I get settled I’ll find you the details.
The hostel is https://lobbycollective.com/en/
The cammino website is https://www.camminodelsalento.it/
The walk and waymarking is not quite as flash as the website!! But people did know about it whenever you arrived anywhere. You will need to use GPX which they have. I mixed and matched a bit with the “official” VFS stages. Some were fairly long and sometimes I became inventive with Google but I enjoyed it.

The hostel is https://lobbycollective.com/en/
The cammino website is https://www.camminodelsalento.it/
The walk and waymarking is not quite as flash as the website!! But people did know about it whenever you arrived anywhere. You will need to use GPX which they have. I mixed and matched a bit with the “official” VFS stages. Some were fairly long and sometimes I became inventive with Google but I enjoyed it.
@Corned Beef CORRECTION the meal discount is for the big hotel in Santa Maria NOT Lecce. It is the Hotel Terminal. Good rate to stay too.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.