• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can anyone help

Hi there, I have just decided to do part of the camino- i only really have 10 days to walk, can any one suggest where i start, and mainly where i can fly into. I will be coming from south africa but can make a plan to get pretty much anywhere - i hope! - that is around 10 or ev?en 12 days from the end? do you think this plan is feasible? thanks so much. secondly, will it be too late to arrive around 20th june and therfore end around 30th june- i have heard school holidays start in july...?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
10 solid days of walking would take you back to a start at Astorga, perhaps it is not such a good idea to push so hard and Ponferrrada is an alternative start. Both Astorga and Ponferrada can be got to easily by coach if you fly onto Leon from Madrid, this can often be done a little extra cost to your intercontinental flight if you are on the right airline.

Hello skattie!
Have you been in touch with the Confraternity of St James in South Africa? They will also be able to give you advice and inspiration! Contact the CSJ at schultzg (at) iafrica.com. They are based in Cape Town but have chapters and contact people all over the country.
If you want the Compostela – pilgrim’s certificate – you have to walk the last 100kms to Santiago. Many pilgrims start from O’Cebrerio which is 150kms from Santiago. I'm sure you could manage 15 - 20kms a day?
If so, you could fly to Madrid and take an Alsa Coach to Piedrafita which is 5kms from O’Cebreiro. There are two busses - 10h00 arr: 15h50 or or 23h59 arr: 05h20. Then you walk to O’Cebreiro. The cost is ± €25
If you fly Iberia on an Open Jaw ticket, you can book your return flight from Santiago via Madrid and back home.
Geluk!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Beverley;
If your primary goal is to obtain the Compostella this time, I think Sillydoll has the best suggestion. If, on the other hand, you do a little long term planning, there are other options. I myself, startet the Camino in St Jean Pied de Port in France making the way to Logrono in 7 days. I am not doing the entire Camino now, time does not permit, but doing 200-250 km in 10 days was like 1/3-1/4 of the entire way. And the crossing of the Cize Pass, staying over night in Roncesvalle was worth it!
I will return to the Camino - maybe a little later this year - and continue towards Santiago.
Whatever you do, I wish you a Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.