• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I attend mass or prayers at Armenteira on spiritual variant

Walkingmad

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 2019
Just crossed over from coastal to central in Tui and wondering about doing the variant spiritual from pontevedra. I would really love to attend some form of mass or prayer. Do the nuns do something? I know the monastery is closed for September for pilgrim staying . Anyone who recently done this in last few weeks can you advise?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would suggest calling or emailing the monastery and asking them what services may be available to the the public on the day you're passing through: 627 097 696 or hospederia@monasteriodearmenteira.es.
I know that they have a Vespers service in the chapel (which is located in the cloisters, not the main church) every evening at 7 p.m. My wife and I have attended that twice, when we were staying in the lodging reserved for pilgrims.

Services are open to the public regardless of if you are staying there, but call to verify as they occasionally are closed to everyone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As a practicing catholic my advice - a church is open to all Christians. As for taking communion that is a personal decision. If you are a catholic then you will know the rules; for those of the Protestant variant I would suggest its a personal choice (again) . Maybe ask yourself this question: am I in good standing with my home church; do I regularly attend church; do I regularly accept communion? The Lord's blessing upon you as you continue your prilgrimage. Buen Camino!

Just crossed over from coastal to central in Tui and wondering about doing the variant spiritual from pontevedra. I would really love to attend some form of mass or prayer. Do the nuns do something? I know the monastery is closed for September for pilgrim staying . Anyone who recently done this in last few weeks can you advise?
I attended the 7 pm pilgrim service at the end of June this year . It’s a beautiful service and the singing of the young nun moved me to tears . Afterwards you can get a sello. There is also a shop selling lovely soap that the nuns have made. Do try and go.
Buen Camino !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We hit armenteria on the 13th of August which was a Sunday there was a pilgrim's mass that evening whether that only occurs on the weekend or not I am unsure

The nuns sang wonderfully. We six assorted pilgrims were welcomed last December. We simply arrived at the set time.

From the monastery website:
“Los peregrinos que lo deseen pueden asistir a las 19,00 h a la bendición del peregrino en el oratorio de la comunidad de hermanas situado en el claustro. Asimismo, aunque no se aloje en la hospedería del monasterio puede acudir igualmente a la bendición y también a la oración de Completas a las 21,00h y a la Eucaristía al día siguiente a las 7,30 h.”

El monasterio abre sus puertas a las 6,30 h y las cierra a las 21,15 h.

Pilgrims who so wish may attend the Pilgrim blessing in the sister’s oratory in the cloister at 19:00 h. Likewise, even if not staying in the monastery’s hospedería, you may attend the benediction as well as Completas at 21:00 and the following morning’s Eucharist @ 7:30.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed two nights at the monastery as a guest, so full board. I was able to sit for all the offices. This is highly recommended but I guess you should be in sympathy with the spirit of the community.

There were 40+ pilgrims for the blessing at 7pm, which is part of vespers, and 10+ for Mass at 7.30 am. One or two came for Compline at 9pm, which includes a sprinkling with holy water.

The sisters sing most beautifully, but also have a quality of silence, being Trappists.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back